Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
https://manticblog.com/2016/06/10/dreadball-goes-close-seaso...

This is going to irritate some people.
Mantic wrote:
We love the core principals of the game and we are keeping the speed and dynamism of the main game so these will remain unchanged, but there are a few areas that need some attention.

The new edition update will address:

* Enhanced Game Play – Faster to play, simpler to learn and easier to collect, the new edition will streamline 6 seasons worth of rules, FAQ and errata without losing any of the soul of original DreadBall.
* A New League System – built from the ground up, offering unprecedented options for team building
* Improvements based on your feedback – Reworking Jacks, Giants and MVPs to become central to the game are high on our priority list!
* Balanced Teams – each team will have a unique play-style and will be fairly balanced for competitive gaming.
* And more!

DreadBall 2nd Edition will enable you to play exciting pick-up games, but also unlock epic leagues that will be talked about by your gaming group for years to come! Our plan is that it’ll let you enjoy the galaxy’s greatest sport whilst reinvigorating the DreadBall scene for the vets, and bring in a host of new players.

DreadBall 2nd Edition will be spearheaded by a new 2nd Edition core game, which will include the new rulebook, an up-sized pitch and two new teams. The tooling and production will be funded on a simple, short Kickstarter in July, which also builds awareness of its retail launch in 2017. You’ll get updated rules for every team and Dreadball Ultimate will also get the 2nd edition treatment.

Before anyone gets worried about all their beautiful teams getting discontinued – the focus is on the rules and balance – and while we will add a couple of new teams to the core game (which will come as 1 piece figures to open the game up to a wider market) all the teams will be valid with the next edition. We just want to sort out the rules, make those improvements and get it growing all over again.

There will also be ongoing support, in the shape of new organized play packs, an online global ranking site, and continued releases, and we hope lots of international versions of the game.

More information will become available over the next couple of weeks as we show-off the development work. The rules committee are already at work on making DreadBall 2 better than the first, supported by a new team of alpha playtesters – the hardcore tournament players who’ll help make sure every team and every position creates game-play options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
mbmbmbmbmb
It's what the game needs, consolidated rulebook, new League system, useful Jacks and balancing existing teams.

Very happy about the news and looking forward to it =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping it'll be relatively easy to get just the rulebook and any changes during the Kickstarter. I have as much as I need and then some to play either DBO or Extreme.

It is quite a simple and streamlined game as is, so I'm curious what Mantic thinks they need to do to update it. I'm also curious how some of the teams will be changed (Nameless, Dwarves and Judwan in particular).

Maybe this will convince me to get DB back to the table. It's been far too long since I played a match and I'd like to get some new players into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it was aready great, but I'm in ...
as always
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, so I think I'll join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burley
msg tools
I do really like Dreadball. I just hope the changes are more for balance rather than a new experience. I hope for a hard back compendium, pitches with slightly bigger hexes and if they do change the dice they move to D12's. By using a D12 everything can directly convert I.e a 3+ (4/6) becomes A 5+ (8/12) with loads of numbers to tweak balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wygant
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I never played with Giants, but some tweaks to the Jacks will be a welcome change as well as some play balance issues that have show to crop up once you start recording hundreds of games (as Mantic has).

If Deadzone 2.0 is any indication (another Mantic game by Jake Thornton, the changes will be subtle but will make for a faster game that is more balanced and easier to learn (three things that plagued Deadzone 1 more than Dreadball).

I look forward to it.

That_Lee_Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I just got all my dreadball stuff from the last kickstarter a few months ago. I suppose I might just have to take it off the shelf and piecing all the teams together in preparation for the new edition.

I'm glad they aren't discontinuing any of the previous teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they don't invalidate any existing teams / figures then I'm happy!

Will be great to have things more balanced, everything in one handy book and perhaps improved Jacks.

I love DB and personally I'm very excited by the prospect of a new version. Not sure why the need for larger hexes though, it all seemed just fine to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS launches tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter is live and funded:

//www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-the-futuri...

Lets knock out those stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Roberts
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of what they have planned, but has anyone seen anything SPECIFIC, like actual samples of the updated rules? I want to believe, but all they are claiming to do sounds like a lot of work and I want to see something tangible before throwing $100 at it. My group enjoyed DB quite a bit until the balance and bloated league play really made it come apart at the seams. Would love to see that "fixed" and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need help deciding whether or not you need two Dreadballs, I'm looking to trade for the first edition or Extreme.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mantic really has to put more infos, data and pictures of the planned new stuff on the KS page, otherwise the funding will continue to grow as slowly as it did yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
I think Mantic really has to put more infos, data and pictures of the planned new stuff on the KS page, otherwise the funding will continue to grow as slowly as it did yesterday.

From my point of view, none of that would matter. I already have more than enough team's and would only be interested in an updated rulebook and any other stuff that I would need to play second edition. Unfortunately, no option to support on that basis so I'll wait to see what I need once it hits retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
rashktah wrote:

From my point of view, none of that would matter. I already have more than enough team's and would only be interested in an updated rulebook and any other stuff that I would need to play second edition. Unfortunately, no option to support on that basis so I'll wait to see what I need once it hits retail.

I agree. The new pitch is really nice and it looks like there will be new cards needed to play but they should really offer these and the new rules as a separate pledge level. Having just a $100 pledge is very short sighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The new pitch is really nice and it looks like there will be new cards needed to play but they should really offer these and the new rules as a separate pledge level.
They should really start to show anything.

So far were're not seeing much value for our 100 USD pledge and there's not much info on new/changed rules and everything else on display at the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
They've announced to post something on the rules today.
They have a rules commitee (including some dedicated fans). Their job on Deadzone (clarificatiobn and streamlineing without loss of tactical options) was very good.

As for value, for our pledge we get (so far):
- Dreadball 2ed base game
- Ultimate dreadball
- Team guide

That is something although I too hope that we get more out of it with some strechgoals. But it's NOT just the basegame for 100 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
They've announced to post something on the rules today.
They have a rules commitee (including some dedicated fans). Their job on Deadzone (clarificatiobn and streamlineing without loss of tactical options) was very good.

As for value, for our pledge we get (so far):
- Dreadball 2ed base game
- Ultimate dreadball
- Team guide

That is something although I too hope that we get more out of it with some strechgoals. But it's NOT just the basegame for 100 bucks.

Since the Dreadball Ultimate board is going to be printed on the back of the regular board the likelihood is that this will come in the new base game anyway and if it doesn't given that the game retails for around £40 (~$55-$60) the rules for Ultimate and a Team Guide do not constitute the extra amount being asked with the pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since the Dreadball Ultimate board is going to be printed on the back of the regular board the likelihood is that this will come in the new base game anyway and if it doesn't given that the game retails for around £40 (~$55-$60) the rules for Ultimate and a Team Guide do not constitute the extra amount being asked with the pledge.

My thoughts excactly. They announced that there will be a new 'Veterans' pledgle level added today, maybe this will help bring in fresh backers that just want the new rules but no new box set.

Quote:
$45 Jack - DreadBall Veteran Pledge Level goes live at 8:00pm BST.

The DreadBall Veteran Pledge Level includes the new Core Rulebook (MSRP $25), which has all of the streamlined, revised rules and a new League system, and the DreadBall Team Guide (MSRP $25). Together these house all of the revised core rules, revamped league system, advanced rules including cheerleaders and coaches, and all of the stats and background for every team and MVP. You’ll get both a physical and digital copy of the books.
The pledge level also include a DreadBall 2nd Edition Card Deck ($5 KS add-on), with all new action and event cards, and a set of card counters that will be immediately upgraded to the new 3D plastic DreadBall counters ($10 KS add-on) the moment they are funded – because they are fun and add extra value to the pledge level. This pledge level will go up for $45 at 8:00pm BST – so be ready and please help us tell everyone it’s coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If shipping was included in that $45 pledge I would jump on it. With an unknown amount for shipping I am thinking best to wait and get it discounted via an online store when it is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhoades
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
General question to all: I have not played the 1st but the game sounds interesting. How would you describe it to someone who hasn't played what it is like to play? Pros/Cons? Is it still a game you play regularly? Answer any or all. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TinyMonster wrote:
General question to all: I have not played the 1st but the game sounds interesting. How would you describe it to someone who hasn't played what it is like to play? Pros/Cons? Is it still a game you play regularly? Answer any or all. Thanks in advance!

OK, so my description is based on just regular Dreadball (so not Ultimate which I only played twice or Extreme which I never played). I got on the first KS and played the game a lot when it first came out and it's a lot of fun. It's a fast-flowing sports game.

+ Easy to learn
+ Fast paced
+ Lot of fun
+ Replayability
+ Lot of tactical depth

- Jack players were pretty useless
- Forge Father Strikers were useless
- Generally bloated
- Became unbalanced with so many teams

The new KS is trying to confront some of the negatives although there's still an awful lot of teams so I'm not convinced that the balance will be that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Roberts
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
TinyMonster wrote:

OK, so my description is based on just regular Dreadball (so not Ultimate which I only played twice or Extreme which I never played). I got on the first KS and played the game a lot when it first came out and it's a lot of fun. It's a fast-flowing sports game.

+ Easy to learn
+ Fast paced
+ Lot of fun
+ Replayability
+ Lot of tactical depth

- Jack players were pretty useless
- Forge Father Strikers were useless
- Generally bloated
- Became unbalanced with so many teams

The new KS is trying to confront some of the negatives although there's still an awful lot of teams so I'm not convinced that the balance will be that good.

+1 to everything he said. I will also add that a lot of the optional rules (Campaigns, MVPs, coaches, cheerleaders, etc.) were not well designed, but that they are stating that they are focusing upon those as well. I would really like to see the changes in a more tangible form before the end of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.