James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
work in progress... 6/14/16
You may wonder why you would want to put back in Morale, Formations, and Charge Reactions. I thought they were some of the best things in WHFB. Without them, I feel like Age of Sigmar can feel like "run at them and roll dice till they're dead."

Morale
During the Battleshock phase, determine if any side "lost a combat" (see below) then roll 2d6 (add 1 to Bravery for every 10 models, Cavalry add 1 to Bravery for every 5 models) and if you roll above the Bravery, the unit is Routed and immediately flees directly away from the units that beat it. A Fleeing unit moves 2D6 inches.

Any models that get a bonus to Charging, such as from Musicians or other special abilities, also get the same bonus to Fleeing.

During every movement phase a Routed unit must first roll to Rally with same 2D6 test above. If it passes, it can move, but not charge or run.
If it fails it must move 2D6 towards the nearest edge. If a Routed unit ever comes within 1/2" of an enemy it is automatically destroyed. If the Routed unit touches an edge of the battlefield it is destroyed.

If a Routed unit is charged in a following turn, it can make another Flee Reaction (see below) but only once per turn.

How to lose a combat:
You took more wounds than the other side.

Undead and Daemons never Rout or Flee, and use normal Battleshock rules. Also, they must roll Battleshock even if they 'win' a combat.

Rank and File formations
Any models in formation with at least 2 full ranks of 5 figures wide, impose a -1, per rank, to the Bravery of anyone they are fighting with. Large base monsters such as 40mm or wider only need to be 3 figures wide. The ranked formation halves this penalty if someone is fighting to their side. They lose it completely if someone is attacking them from behind.

A Unit in formation can also push models that are not in rank and file formation that have base sizes less than half the total width of the formation. This way a single model can't hold up an entire massed formation.

Charge Reactions
To use these rules, you must also have the assumption that Shooters can't shoot into melee, or shoot if any of their unit is within 3" of an enemy.
If a unit is charged, it may take one of these 3 reactions.
Hold - stand there and take charge as normal.
Shoot - The entire unit may immediately make a Shooting attack at -1 to hit.
Flee - The unit turns and flees 2d6" (or more if it has any rules that say they get a bonus to charges, they get this bonus to fleeing). The unit becomes Routed as above, and must make a Morale test to recover in its next Movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea. I definitely think that there's room for a more robust Morale system (after all, why do Heroes have a Bravery Score, even though there are very, very few effects that use them?), and while there are some Charge Reactions in the game (such as the Freeguild Greatswords, which have a Counter Charge ability), there could certainly be more of them.

However, the Rank and File formations of the game are still there, and most of what that entails is still a natural extension of the rules as written. The difference is that you don't get any rules specifically stating that.

What do I mean by that? Well, let's look at the Close Combat rules. Most units have a reach of 1". In order to maximize their attacks against a given opponent, you want as many models as possible within 1" of the enemy unit. The best way of ensuring that is to group the units into as tight of a cluster as you can along a single line. You can get 2 lines with a 2" reach, and 3 lines with a 3 inch reach (though, granted, most units with a 3 inch reach don't have enough models to justify it). So, the most efficient formation to initiate a battle with is the traditional Rank and File system.

Now, the next part of the formation system is the Flanking rules - which, again, are still there as an extension of the AoS rules. Because the best way to ensure as many of the enemy models engage the enemy when they charge in is to create a long, straight line with the models crunched as close together as possible, the best way to fight that line is to engage one side or the other of it with a flanking maneuver. At that point, assuming a 3 row deep formation, you're only taking a maximum of 9 sets of attacks from the opponent, while you're still getting your full range of attacks against them.

Now, we get into some of the things you can do with the new AoS system that you could not with the Oldhammer system. Because you are no longer restricted to rectangular formations, you can now create flying wedges, which minimize the number of attacks that you take if your charged while still allowing your unit to maximize their attacks on the counterattack, spread out defensive lines (where there's 1" between each model, and up to 3" between each defensive squad), and many other non-traditional formations to give you an advantage against opponents that use a standard rank and file formation for everything.

You also get a more natural flow of battle, as the two units clash and begin to spread out in order to maximize the number of models in the combat. Units can flow around small obstacles like trees and boulders, and using a dual flanking maneuver can open up the center of an opponent's defensive line, allowing a heavy calvary unit to charge straight into the middle of the enemy army and hit at their softest targets.

As for the 'run at each other and roll dice' statement, I feel that is no more true of AoS than it is for WHFB or Kings of War. In fact, in my experience, AoS has more strategic depth than what I've seen of the other two, and all three have the baseline strategy of, "Run to the middle and roll dice until someone dies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must admit its tough to adjust to Age of Sigmar, just because of all the assumptions I bring from Warhammer or even other games. The rules are so short, that every sentence is important, and assumptions can mess you up.

Like the sentence "For the purposes of determining visibility, an attacking model can see through other models in its unit." That means if the base of a figure is 1" or less, the model standing right behind can attack through them. Where in Warhammer 8E they say the second rank can attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.