Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the reaction to the Elemental box, I figured I'd start a thread of inexpensive generic fantasy miniatures you can use as proxies for MD (and, yeah, DC!). laugh

For boardgames, I'm only listing in-print games with lots of miniatures and under $80, rather than boardgames with only a few or require assembly. For miniatures and game tiles, I'm listing inexpensive models.

Note that 3D game tiles need to have some way to distinguish lit vs. dark areas. I'll be using torch and dungeon lighting sources, but you can also paint the tiles differently.

Generic Fantasy Boardgames:
* Descent
* D&D Adventure System: Castle Ravenloft, etc.
* D&D Dungeon Command sets (prepainted)
* Magic the Gathering Arena of the Planeswalker

Miniature sets:
* Johnny Lauck "Dungeon Monsters" KS (zombies, skeletons, dungeon lighting, metal, unpainted)
* Reaper Bones (individual figures, plastic, unpainted)
* Paizo and D&D Miniatures (prepainted plastic, blind boxes, some non-blind sets)
* Wargames Factory Skeletons (assuming MD does skeletons, assembly required, unpainted)

3D Game tiles:
* Secret Weapon Miniatures: Tomb of the Dark Suns. (lit and unlit walls, needs painting)
* Dwarven Forge plastic game tiles (need to add dungeon lighting)

EDIT: For cards, I'm assuming CMON or fanmade cards will be made, or you're buying additional models for models you already have the cards for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Proxy Miniatures and 3D Game Tiles
How will you proxy the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Proxy Miniatures and 3D Game Tiles
I think a lot of people are buying into the game more for the miniatures than the gameplay. I mean, it's good to also get a game, but if the game came with cardboard standups I don't think it would get much traction. All that sexy plastic is the biggest selling point.

Which kind of makes proxying the minis counterintuitive, unless you were one of the people who saw that gameplay video and said, 'holy crap, that looks amazing.' And I don't think anyone said that.

Not to discount your efforts. I think it's cool you're putting this together. Do your thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep -- I changed the title to "additional" miniatures so anyone who wants *more* mini's or wants to make fanmade stuff can find 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Nice effort.

I'd actually be more interested in a list of games/expansions the massive darkness main pledge could be used to proxy for either to replace a token or replace an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.