Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Where are they (skeletons, ghouls,wraiths, bugs, Kobolds...)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, where are they?!?

Big large monsters are fine, but where are the other smaller ones?

Skeletons, ghouls,wraiths, bugs, Kobolds, dark elves...

Give us at least Skeletons.

Has anyone positive news in this regard?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmb
Thiago said in the comments there are plans for more enemies if we reach that far in the campaign. He didn't say how far that would be...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Leroy
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I find it astonishing that when they were planning the campaign no one said, "hey, maybe instead of 10 big minis with huge funding gaps why don't we add some roving monster groups instead?" They could break them up into minion/boss/agent with small gaps in between. This campaign feels pretty phoned in.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a word? EXPANSION.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmb
Thiago also said... (I should get something for relaying these bits...)

That the demo play video was unusual because they often have many roaming monsters pop up by the point in the game they made it to in the video. It was odd that it took that long for one to show.

My thought is they would want to highlight a normal experience in the game and would have thus set-up something more normal and played that, knowing certain things would be coming, or scrapped that game and filmed again.

Personally, I think they should hire Rodney Smith to make their play videos because they would be so much better than what they have.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, expansions may be the bread and butter here. We shall see!

Edit: And they should 100% rig the game a bit so thst it shows all aspects. Demo 101 stuff.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Leroy
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Right, but they also said that this campaign "wouldn't have many add ons."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the info.

Honestly, the way they have placed the stretch goals interspaced with large monsters, pillars, treasure chests is sort of disappointing.

For Pete's sake, they have more than USD 1M funding already.

I don't know who is the guy in charge of the marketing on this one but by my book it is underwhelming.

For reference and comparison, let me name a few kick-starters that I got very excited about all the way:

Conan:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/descrip...

Folklore the affliction:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklore-the-afflic...

Honestly, I don't like the approach of revealing the stretch goals gradually and keeping us in the dark. Massive darkness...shake

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote was for something like Troglodytes...along with cavernous water rooms/tiles...that would a lot of variety.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Thiago also said... (I should get something for relaying these bits...)

All of Thiago's comments.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being CMON, I'd be real curious what 'that many' means. I'm still guessing 5 or so at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
hybrid1006 wrote:
I find it astonishing that when they were planning the campaign no one said, "hey, maybe instead of 10 big minis with huge funding gaps why don't we add some roving monster groups instead?" They could break them up into minion/boss/agent with small gaps in between. This campaign feels pretty phoned in.


Yeah, these stretch goal amounts are huge for incredibly little. Every other project I've been in we've had a LOT more unlocked by a million bucks. I think CMoN is finally getting underhanded and greedy. Maybe that's why Spencer Reeve left?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Yeah, these stretch goal amounts are huge for incredibly little. Every other project I've been in we've had a LOT more unlocked by a million bucks. I think CMoN is finally getting underhanded and greedy. Maybe that's why Spencer Reeve left?


or maybe more simply, it is not ready
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tifast wrote:
or maybe more simply, it is not ready


Alternately, but still simply, they are trying to make sure they have stretch goals to space out through a whole month and not be scrambling with nothing left for a week at the end.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean

Washington
msg tools
I would love some skeletons and ghouls to go alongside the crossover zombies, abominations and necros from BP as an undead faction in MD. And if they made them playable in BP too I might have to change my shorts. Now there's an add-on I would spend at least $40 on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I would strongly expect that they have ALL stretch goals decided on before it starts, they're spacing them based on how it's doing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aroncraig wrote:
Tifast wrote:
or maybe more simply, it is not ready


Alternately, but still simply, they are trying to make sure they have stretch goals to space out through a whole month and not be scrambling with nothing left for a week at the end.


hmm, I don't see this happening with KS in general. People, me at least, support the projects with the hope that the stretch goals are being unlocked. Not to gradually discover what may come.

Here, I honestly don't understand what they are doing. Massive Darkness.

There are a few good things but I saw more exciting KS in the past.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
I would strongly expect that they have ALL stretch goals decided on before it starts, they're spacing them based on how it's doing.


And I strongly suspect that most of those stretch goals it has already been pre-determined that they will be produced.

It's a shell game for the most part.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
Paul G wrote:
I would strongly expect that they have ALL stretch goals decided on before it starts, they're spacing them based on how it's doing.


And I strongly suspect that most of those stretch goals it has already been pre-determined that they will be produced.

It's a shell game for the most part.


Agreed. We've been seeing about one new stretch goal per day, I would imagine that is the rate of reveals they are aiming for. Keep people coming back to check every day without giving out too much free stuff. Good way to keep current backers hooked and to tempt potential backers with a steady barrage of updates about cool stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Karlsson
msg tools
Am undecided about backing this game. Will wait and see what shows up during the campaign. One thing that would make this game extremely tempting for me is a add on that would enable me to add these monsters to the AQ world.

Not likely to happen though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tifast wrote:
Seriously, where are they?!?

Big large monsters are fine, but where are the other smaller ones?

Skeletons, ghouls,wraiths, bugs, Kobolds, dark elves...

Give us at least Skeletons.

Has anyone positive news in this regard?


I basically agree, but no more skeletons please.
Almost every crawl game has them.
I will be getting quite lot of them with Conan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal khurshid
Pakistan
flag msg tools
mb
When I look at the core box it seems as if the mobs are the main enemies and the roaming monsters are like the special units that show up seldomly .

But due to the SGs we are getting Roaming monsters that have outnumbered the types of mobs we have.

So far- Mobs: 3 races with 3 bosses each + 3 x types of mobs = 9 mobs
Roaming monsters: 6 in core box + 10 SG + 4 monster box = 20
they are already outnumbering mobs 2 to 1

I can live with the point where they provide us a mob as 2 or 3 SG as they are already doing it with the character and class sheets ( which is totaly wrong)

but the point is enough with the roaming monsters already.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thiago has mentioned that the video was unusual for how late and how few showed up. That many Roaming Monsters may be a boon once we see how they are implemented.

That said, more mob races would be great
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Tifast wrote:
For reference and comparison, let me name a few kick-starters that I got very excited about all the way:

Conan:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/descrip...


I was giddy through that entire project, and I'm still almost as excited as I was when the project was live. I can't wait to get my mitts on that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
Tifast wrote:
For reference and comparison, let me name a few kick-starters that I got very excited about all the way:

Conan:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/descrip...


I was giddy through that entire project, and I'm still almost as excited as I was when the project was live. I can't wait to get my mitts on that one.


Yessir! This is the one right here. That campaign was nuts and aside from the miniature photo scare everything has been beautiful. Can't wait for this to hit my doorstep.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.