11 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Play testing no dodge on white die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xi
United States
flag msg tools
In PBF , weekly random #3, we are going to change the "X" on the white die to 2 Blocks , 2 Evades, and -2 Acc.

What do you think of this rules change?

We'll let you know how it turns out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bravefencer wrote:
In PBF , weekly random #3, we are going to change the "X" on the white die to 2 Blocks , 2 Evades, and -2 Acc.

I strongly dislike house rules.. so..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing the Imperials against my 2 gaming buddies, I have been on the receiving end of the X many times. Not only has he dodged some of my BEST attacks, he has an uncanny ability to CALL them by not looking at the die when he needs the dodge roll to keep them in the game. In contrast, I believe I could try to SET the white die down on a dodge and it would somehow roll off that face.

This being said, the dodge is VERY welcome at our table. Some results after the Imperial side has been upgraded are just TOO deadly for an extra block or Evade. Every time I feel abused by the Rebels, I have to remind myself, this is THEIR movie, not mine. And when my dodge DOES work for me, Lord Vader and his crew can do the happy dance on one of the heroes wounded body!

I am not house-rule resistant, but this system is one of the cleanest and simplest I have played and wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe my luck. 8-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem with this house rule is, that it mainly effects the rebels campaign wise.

So it basically nerfs them. If the Imperial player is loosing a lot in your group it might make sense. Otherwise I would stay away from house-ruling the white die like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you roll 3 attack dice, I think two blocks and two evades will be better than a dodge (and most of the time with 3 attack dice as well).

Nexu will benefit strongly from this. That's 4 blocks and 2 evades. At least with a dodge the hero can still spend a surge for recovering strain.

So, simply put: a lot of complexity for little difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not play in a campaign that used OP's suggested house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
My problem with this is that it is an early game buff to the imperial player, but a late game buff to the rebels.

Anything that has variable effects as the campaign progresses is less then ideal for me.

The reason I say it's an early game buff to imperials is that 1 or 2 Damage will still get through occasionally when dodge is rolled. That won't matter much to an Imperial Officer who will get over killed the next shot regardless, but a bunch of stormies hitting Loku it will add up. That and the canceling of surge recover hurts more early game, I think. Late game you have double yellow die weapons that can overcome the double surge-cancel and other ways of recovering strain.

Also, late game rebels can bust through even that defense and put down consistent damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jak Mac Ewen
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
to early to house rule anything yet, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bravefencer wrote:

Why? What are you attempting to "fix"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found the dodge/miss mechanic to be one of the main reasons why rolling the dice is so much fun and exciting in these games, so naturally I think the game would lose a lot of excitement with these changes.

If it really is too luck dependent for you and your group, I would limit dodges per turn or per couple of turns, so it doesn't get out of hand.

Also like already mentioned, be carefull what symbols you put on the side, as they interact with some abilities. I think safest thing to be would just treat it as 2-3 shields, a certain side of the die or roll again and add 1 shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.