Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was replied in another thread:

(https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1589580/4p-scores)

Jackway wrote:
The lowest winning score I have recorded for Panamax in games I've played is 93,the highest is 145.

My partner and I have noticed that one or two players will miss out on taking passenger tokens early in the game and end up hugely disadvantaged for the rest of the game and then end with terrible scores.

I never found passenger tokens terribly important. They are only 5$ at the beginning, even less later, and the unlocked abilities are nice-to-have but not that powerful. The best unlocked ability is the discount on moving white dice which you can also get via flags.

Do you think players without early passenger tokens are at a disadvantage? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's interesting that you think the best ability is the discount on moving the dice. I actually think that is the weakest ability, because usually by the time I have a passenger through the canal, I'm at least pretty close to finishing the first column to get the ability to move the dice for free, so the discount provides me with a rather small return. I suppose if you are really doubling down on one country only it might be better.

I find the ability to take the newly revealed contracts before they are available to everyone else to be the best ability. Or at least that's the one that makes the other players swear at me the most devil Having more choice on the contracts is huge, and especially so if you are the only one who has that ability.

Loading the extra die from a contract is about on par with the discount, sometimes it's nice but it's not the first one I go for.

So, yes, I find that getting at least one passenger token early is pretty essential. Whether it gains me $5 or $2 is not the point, it's the greater access to contracts that drives me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:

I find the ability to take the newly revealed contracts before they are available to everyone else to be the best ability. Or at least that's the one that makes the other players swear at me the most devil Having more choice on the contracts is huge, and especially so if you are the only one who has that ability.

True, the contract choice is also very good and cannot obtained with flags.

Last game we played, the east side of the canal had no ships in the last round, and there were only contracts for the east side available. The generic contracts did not have enough cargo, so we all lost quite some money there. We could have avoided that with better control of the "cargo flow" - we should not have had that many containers in the warehouse at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely with Denise... The Contract ability is the best one of the group by far..l it gives the pkayer accessibility to 2 extra contracts and that is massive...

The other two abilities are also very good... If you are focusing in a one country flag strategy the importance of switching dice for free increases, but I think that being able to get a +1 on the loading is very important when you get those dice that can only load 1 cargo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question.

In terms of the way I am designing my bots, when they complete a Passenger journey, I prioritize as follows:

1. $2 transfer (but only if they have not yet completed the flag first column)
2. Extra contract choice
3. Extra Load

I have the $2 transfer as the #1 choice, as my rules disallow the bots from paying $5 for a transfer. Therefore, it is very important for them to get some sort of discount. But if they happen to have the free transfer already, it drops to #3.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.