Nicola Carpentieri
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, i can't really understand this part of the Los rules:

(8.43) Blocking Hexsides: Crest and Slope Hexsides are Blocking Hexsides. The LOS is blocked if it passes through the juncture of two or more blocked hexsides or the juncture of a blocking terrain hexside and a blocking terrain hex.

In the picture example you clearly see that the los of the unit passes trough the juncture of only one crest hexside but it's blocked... Can anyone help me to clarify this rule?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know this system well, but the rule as written seems to disagree with the example picture.

Following what is written in the rules, the LoS I highlighted with the two big arrows should be unblocked. The rule says that the juncture of two blocking hexsides or a blocking hexside and a blocking terrain are needed in order to block LoS, so that implies that the end of a blocking hexside alone (that doesn't connect with anything, as in the example) doesn't block LoS.

Maybe someone more expert can contradict me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Carpentieri
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, i have the same doubt...

nickcia wrote:
I don't know this system well, but the rule as written seems to disagree with the example picture.

Following what is written in the rules, the LoS I highlighted with the two big arrows should be unblocked. The rule says that the juncture of two blocking hexsides or a blocking hexside and a blocking terrain are needed in order to block LoS, so that implies that the end of a blocking hexside alone (that doesn't connect with anything, as in the example) doesn't block LoS.

Maybe someone more expert can contradict me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
The key word is "juncture". It might be easier for you to visualize if you put a center dot in the hex's in question and pull a piece of thread between the two points. If it passes through a Crest Hexside or Blocking Terrain, LOS is blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Carpentieri
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
The key word is "juncture". It might be easier for you to visualize if you put a center dot in the hex's in question and pull a piece of thread between the two points. If it passes through a Crest Hexside or Blocking Terrain, LOS is blocked.

Mhhh i don' think so... the rules don't say that is the depiction that block los... (like ASL for example) and in any case why the rules 8.43 specifies that the LOS is blocked if it passes through the juncture of two or more blocked hexsides if in the example only one hexside juncture is enough to block it?
It' s very unclear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
carpa1981 wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

Mhhh i don' think so... the rules don't say that is the depiction that block los... (like ASL for example) and in any case why the rules 8.43 specifies that the LOS is blocked if it passes through the juncture of two or more blocked hexsides if in the example only one hexside juncture is enough to block it?
It' s very unclear...

Read 8.41 then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Carpentieri
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
carpa1981 wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

It' s very unclear...

Read 8.41 then.

Yes... but it doesn't speak about depiction or juncture... the hexside is another thing...

8.41 The LOS is a straight line of 3 hexes from center to center. The LOS is obstructed by Blocking Hexes and Blocking Hexsides, or a hex occupied by units of either side. If any hex or hexside between the sighting unit and the target is blocking terrain, the Line of Sight is blocked. Exception: Adjacent units are always in LOS of each other. See also 23.3 for Weather effects on LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Dogana, Repubblica San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nicola........... )

Even in ASGS we're playing NLG and also we have noticed that this rule is not clear. I hope to answer the author ................

Another unclear rule regarding terrain, is the one that defines the Hilltop. While looking good on the game maps, it remains difficult to identify such hexes ...........; or not?

GC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Carpentieri
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GC58 wrote:
Hi Nicola........... )

Even in ASGS we're playing NLG and also we have noticed that this rule is not clear. I hope to answer the author ................

Another unclear rule regarding terrain, is the one that defines the Hilltop. While looking good on the game maps, it remains difficult to identify such hexes ...........; or not?

GC

Hi Giancarlo nice to meet you here

I did the same question in the consimworld forum but the author didn't clarify the problem very well on my opinion... the only thing that i understood is that the depiction of the crest hexside blocks the los (like in ASL)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.