Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
As my wave two has finally arrived I thought I may as well begin the arduous journey of painting all of those zombies. Given that I've seen a few others doing something similar I thought it may be fun to chronicle this journey.

So, first thing to do was prime all of those wonderful, wonderful zombies, and how better than to do it with an airbrush? Of course, what should happen after priming but seven models? My airbrush compressor gave out. So instead of digging into a whole hearted assault on that pile of plastic, I'm left doing a few test figures and getting a feel for the undead horde.

So, I'm looking to do something that will not only look reasonable on the table, but also be quick to achieve: after all I don't want to burn out painting all of these zombies and be stuck with half a painted set. So, there are a few approaches to quick painting as I see it: base coat and wash, base coat and drybrush, or the speed paint. They all have their own particular merits, but I think I'm going to try for a speed paint approach. For each colour on the figure I will only use three paints - one for shadow, one for mid, and one for highlights - and will not worry too much about the smoothness of the blend. Nor will I be using washes or inks (except for the zombies skin).

Bearing this in mind I set about painting two test figures to get a feel for colours and the effectiveness of this approach:

Each miniature too about 25/30 mins to finish, though I haven't quite finished off the walker. (40 including priming, but I won't count that when batch painting). As you can see, there's a lot to be desired in terms of blends and highlights (and in some place the primer is showing through the colour), but on the whole I think that this approach will prove quite effective with a little more attention. The base of the fatty came out well, but I don't think that I will be using this approach for the whole set - setting it up is just too time consuming (took me about two hours to base just the top tray of the core game).

Anyway, that's all for now. As always I welcome comments, questions, suggestions, and constructive criticisms!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan MacLeod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good texturing. I zoomed in on the images & it looked like they had cloth textures. Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
The texturing is actually quite easy to achieve using this approach. By keeping the paint thin I'm allowing some of the primer to show through during the mid and highlight phases: the primer being two separate colours - black for the base and then white to provide highlighting.

This helps to provide a little more interest to the colours without going to a lot of effort. To make up for the thin paint I usually apply three layers of varnish once the model is finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan MacLeod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jings, you have more patience than I have Quiarcus, and that shows through in the high quality return you get. Keep it up, its pleasing to the eye.

Salut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Had a spare hour today so thought I'd finish two of the other primed models: another walker and a runner.

Overdid the gore a little on the runner but ho-hum - plenty more to do I'm not too keen on the other walker - too much red so I will be trying to minimise that colour when I get around to painting everything else.

So, I sat down over the weekend and drew up my painting log for this project - and boy is there a lot to do.

I started keeping logs for each project some time last year when I finally decided to paint up my Imperial Assault stuff. It has really helped keep me on track and also acts as a psychological boost - it's therapeutic watching all those red tiles go green. Using this approach I've found myself becoming a more active painter: I believe I have painted more figures in the past year than i have in the years leading up to it.

@dimacleod Thanks for the kind words. This process isn't actually all that time consuming as far as miniature painting goes. I spend probably 3-4 hours on a single figure for other games (check out Deathwatch: Overkill or Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower if your interested) so cutting that down to 30 - 40 minutes is actually quite a saving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Well, spent another ~50mins at the painting table and knocked out the first of the heroes:

Ann the Bloodthirsty nun. All in all not a bad figure, but for some reason I just couldn't get the face down today. I'll probably re-paint it at some point once I've done a few more, but for now it'll have to stay as is.

As it is I'm torn on the bases at the moment. I really like the effect I have going on with these test pieces, but it's just so time consuming to do. I'm not sure that i'd have the patience to do the entire set (which comes in at 195 models at present). Guess I'll have to paint a stock base and see how I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Between work, family, and actually playing Zombicide: Black Plague, I manged to squeeze in an hour or so to paint. In that time I managed to bang out these two:

Not really happy with how Samson turned out - I think that this approach does not do the heroes justice and will have to lavish a little more time and attention on future figures. The wolf however I am reasonably pleased with. I don't often get to paint fur so this made a nice change: it did however mean a change of approach as painting fur takes ages if you try to do it sans dry-brushing. All in all, I'm quite pleased with the pooch, especially as he only took 30 minutes!

Group photo time!

So, test mini's done and in a grand total of about 4 hours. I like the look, and I may be able to work quicker in bulk (more done with single paints etc.), but at the moment it would take me 4 1/2 days (~111 hours) to paint all 195 figures to this standard, not taking into account the increased time to paint the bigatures robot. Never mind, cross that bridge when I come to it. You may note that I have colour coded the bases according to hit priority - this should make it easier to track in group fights whilst also helping to size up a situation at a glance.

As always comments, questions, and constructive criticism more than welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
msg tools
I think these look great, good job.

Do you mind sharing what colours you used for the zombie flesh and what technique you used for basing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, they turned out better than I thought they would, and the process has helped with my chronic lack of contrast whilst painting

For the zombie skin I'm using Vallejo paints from their new Fantasy Pro range - namely the Nocturna set. The shadows are painted with Forest Skin (74.013), the mid-tones in Pale Flesh (74.015), and then the extreme highlights in very slightly thinned Rotten White (72.130) from the Game Effects range. This is all then tied together with a 1:1 water/paint wash of Army Painter Purple Tone Quickshade (any purple wash would probably work just as well - just happen to have this one to hand.)

The bases are kinda involved and add an immense amount of time to the project - which is why I'm probably not going to do them beyond the 20 or so test models.

For the bases I used Tamiya textured paper number 87165 (it's a great product and you can get a variety of finishes) cut into small circles with a circular cutter. The figures were drilled in situ and then cut from the bases with a sharp craft knife. They were then pinned and the Tamiya paper glued to the base. The minis were then re-attached. Once all of the glue had dried Vallejo Coarse Pumice (599) was added selectively to represent dirt. Painting was simple - a single coat of Vallejo Game Air Stonewall Grey (72.749) for the stones and Game Air Earth (72.762) for the dirt. Everything was then given a moderate wash with Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

Hope that helps. Any questions feel free to ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Yay, had a spare couple of hours and managed to bang out five zombies today! Three walkers, a runner, and a fatty! Got all of them to the varnish stage, and noticed that the satin varnish I usually use is coming out a little more glossy than usual (as evidenced on the fatty), so stopped to figure out what's going on.

That means that I've earned 2 non-zombie miniatures to paint:

So question is: what do I paint? I want to do one of the Aboms that's for sure, but I'm undecided as to which one to do (not doing a wolfabom as I've not started Wulfsburg yet). Any thoughts?

Poll
Which abomination should I paint?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Abomination
14.3% 1
Ablobination
28.6% 2
Abominotaur
14.3% 1
Abomnitroll
28.6% 2
Abomni-alpha
0.0% 0
Abomnirat
14.3% 1
Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by Quiarcus
Closes: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, so poll is closed and it looks like the Ablobination and Abomnitroll took the lead. Out of the two I'll probably handle the Ablobination first, as my daughter loves saying his name for some reason. So - that will be the next one on the painting table!

In the meantime, I used the 2nd pick to start working on my daughters favourite character: Antha the Witch. I'm taking a little more time with this one (and her crazy clothes) for obvious reasons.

Here's a WiP shot:

Need a little tidy up on the left eye, but that can wait until the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Been a long time since I've had the opportunity to pick up a paint brush, but I managed to steal a few hours last night. First order of business was to get Antha to a game ready state:

There is a riot of colour on this figure if you follow her character artwork. Someday I may come back to her and bring her up to display quality, but at the moment I'm happy with how she's turned out!

Next up is the start of the Ablobination. Still very much a work in progress, but I spent some time blocking in the flesh colours...and boy there's a lot of it!

This guy has so many nooks and crannies it's quite unbelievable; still, makes for a fun project.

As always comments, questions, and constructive criticism welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Boom! And just like that: ABLOBINATION!

This guy was a load of fun to paint, and I could have done a lot more to him - but the point of the project was to keep things quick. This guy took a lot longer than an hour (more like three or four whistle) but I think it paid off in the end.

Not quite sure what is going on with the model though. If all the zombies are reanimated by the magic of the necromancers, why does this guy look like he's mutating a-la Resident Evil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiarcus wrote:
Not quite sure what is going on with the model though. If all the zombies are reanimated by the magic of the necromancers, why does this guy look like he's mutating a-la Resident Evil?

LOL LOL
maybe that`s is why I like this one so much.. zombiecie one of my fav BG and RE is the series that got me into VG and to me the god of horror survivor, right next to FF and SH in horror for me..

and dunno how much you could have done.. but I LOVE what u did

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
There's always more to do ninja On this particular piece it would have been to smooth out the blends on the skin a bit more, plus add some more signs of disease. I'd have also spent more time varying colours on the skin to represent bruises and pooling blood. And done more to the spines - they're very flat at the moment, but I was aware of how much time I was spending on him shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Bone
msg tools
mb
They look very nice! What are you using for the blood effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb

I currently use these two paints in conjunction once the model has been varnished (applying before leads to the difference in glossiness being eradicated). Do a first pass with the dried blood in areas I think there would be a build up - around the mouth and chest from messy brain nomming, old wounds, hands etc. - before going in around the mouth and hands again with the fresh blood. Both layers are applied with an old brush using a stippling technique (jabbing at the miniature with the brush rather than stroking) which is hard on the bristles - hence the use of an old brush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Bone
msg tools
mb
Thanks! I'll have to give stippling a try, and figure out the GW equivalent paints. I was thinking of mixing red and brown (maybe Mephiston and Rhinox?) for the dried blood and splurging on the Blood for the you-know-who for fresh.

I assume you've tried stippling and regular painting for the blood - what didn't you like about using normal brush strokes?

Again, great work and I look forward to following your progress!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
GW actually do a similar paint called Blood For the Blood God - it's part of their technical range. I have a pot but never used it - might be worth a try rather than mixing.

If you are going to mix, it's best to use inks rather than full blown paints as controlling the transparency of the medium is much harder. Off of the top of my head though some very watered down Mephiston and Rhinox should be okay - but test on something first to see the results. Some people mix a little PVA or craft glue into the paint to provide it with a glossy shine - but again best to test on paper or an old model using a brush you don't want anymore.

As for application, with Zombies and other beasts blood is rarely applied in a controlled manner. Imagine how the blood got on the model in the first place. A frenzied attack is going to leave arterial spray all over the attacker. This is hard to simulate with brush strokes as it comes off as too ordered - you need a bit of chaos in there. Stippling has the effect of allowing a little randomness in where the paint ends up - allowing different thicknesses to develop as well as portraying splatter more realistically - in my experience anyway! If I were painting blood on a sword, I would be unlikely to use the stippling effect as it wouldn't look right, but I would use it on a mace or warhammer.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Bone
msg tools
mb
All good points, thanks!

I was planning on using Blood for the Blood God for fresh blood and the Mephiston and Rhinox for the dried blood, giving both different colors and textures (glossy for fresh, matte for dried).

I'm excited to paint these! Only problem is my backlog of Blood Rage and AQ minis. I really need to learn to just stick with one game until it's done...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
The miniature painters curse - so many minis, so little time! I find bouncing between projects keeps me from burning out and actually allows me to finish things well that I may other rush just to get it done. I've got Warhammer Quest Silver Tower on the back burner as well, but everything is on hold until I get my airbrush compressor back =/

For the dry blood, I'd probably do two or three passes, altering the amount of red in each time just to add variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Bone
msg tools
mb
Any more progress? I'd love to see how they are turning out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Sadly I just haven't had the chance to do any painting in over a month - too busy! I'm hoping to get some time in the coming weeks, but I dare say most of that will disappear with family.

I have an absurd backlog at the moment and ZBP is top of the list. All I can say is: watch this space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.