E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm just not seeing it. I wanted to look at prices for a game today and I realized that the 'Available At' or whatever it was called that had the game linked to various online game stores seems to be missing. All I see is ebay and Amazon.

Is that right?

If it is, it's not right.

using
Chrome OS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
Perhaps I'm just not seeing it. I wanted to look at prices for a game today and I realized that the 'Available At' or whatever it was called that had the game linked to various online game stores seems to be missing. All I see is ebay and Amazon.

Is that right?

If it is, it's not right.

using
Chrome OS

I use Adblock to achieve the state you're lamenting.
Assuming you're not, I would chalk it up to the vendors not purchasing advertising space.

I'd recommend http://www.boardgameprices.com/ for seeing prices from online vendors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No not adblock - I still get a pile of kickstarter ads all around the border. I'm talking about the box that used to be on game pages right above the Amazon and ebay boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
moonglum01 wrote:
No not adblock - I still get a pile of kickstarter ads all around the border. I'm talking about the box that used to be on game pages right above the Amazon and ebay boxes.

The module directly above the Marketplace and eBay modules in the old layout, was the "Description" module.

Two possibilities I can think of:
1) You're talking about the Marketplace (the individual sellers previously listed to the left of the eBay module). They're still there, now to the right of the eBay and Amazon links, under the header "GeekMarket - Recent" (and on their own "Marketplace" tab).
2) You had some kind of BGG customizing extension (and/or adware) running, which inserted these links, and doesn't (yet) work with the new page structure. Try updating that extension, and/or asking its developer for support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
? hey it wasn't that long ago since we changed.

Ok so I'm not crazy. On the old pages it was right below the game picture on the top left.

so from the example link above it was in a box that said this:

Sponsored by: CoolStuffInc.com
Terra Mystica $52.99
Cool Stuff. In Stock. Free Shipping on $100+ Orders
Buy an ad | View All

If you clicked 'view all' you saw it listed at several game stores.

Where has THAT gone to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
? hey it wasn't that long ago since we changed.

Ok so I'm not crazy. On the old pages it was right below the game picture on the top left.

so from the example link above it was in a box that said this:

Sponsored by: CoolStuffInc.com
Terra Mystica $52.99
Cool Stuff. In Stock. Free Shipping on $100+ Orders
Buy an ad | View All

If you clicked 'view all' you saw it listed at several game stores.

Where has THAT gone to?

What you're looking for is just below the row of images on each game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Doh!

ok ... kind of hidden in plain sight.

To paraphrase Mr. Twain,
It is better to keep your keep your fingers off the keyboard and let people think you are a fool than to start typing and remove all doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
JBER
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I use Adblock to achieve the state you're lamenting.
Assuming you're not, I would chalk it up to the vendors not purchasing advertising space.

I'd recommend http://www.boardgameprices.com/ for seeing prices from online vendors.

Just the opposite here. I turned adblock off for BGG so I could see the ads he's looking for. They are still there in the new layout, kind of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yesterday I felt pretty sheepish about posting this thread, but looking at it again this morning and looking at the ads distribution on the new games layout page .... I can't help but think it's a bit of a, well, a big 'screw you, middle finger' to the online specialty game retailers. Everything in the new layout is designed to drive you to Amazon and ebay (and marketplace).

In the old layout the little guys got prominent billing right up top on a games page. Now their ad space is buried in the text. Also in the new layout Amazon gets a prominent ad with logo and picture PLUS only Amazon and ebay are mentioned in the prominently displayed 'BUY A COPY' - the place one would naturally be drawn to if a person were considering 'buying a copy'.

So here's what I realized - I haven't visited any specialty game retailers sites since the redesign.... not one, until yesterday when I went hunting for a game. However, in that same time I have gone to Amazon several times looking at game prices. On the old design I frequently followed BGG links to coolstuff, MM, etc... to check prices.

I understand that BGG is a business and that the revenue from Amazon and ebay must be substantial, but, really, seems to me that the layout is a slap in the face of the specialty stores who actually love and care about the hobby.

just my $.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:

Yesterday I felt pretty sheepish about posting this thread, but looking at it again this morning and looking at the ads distribution on the new games layout page .... I can't help but think it's a bit of a, well, a big 'screw you, middle finger' to the online specialty game retailers. Everything in the new layout is designed to drive you to Amazon and ebay (and marketplace).

In the old layout the little guys got prominent billing right up top on a games page. Now their ad space is buried in the text. Also in the new layout Amazon gets a prominent ad with logo and picture PLUS only Amazon and ebay are mentioned in the prominently displayed 'BUY A COPY' - the place one would naturally be drawn to if a person were considering 'buying a copy'.

So here's what I realized - I haven't visited any specialty game retailers sites since the redesign.... not one, until yesterday when I went hunting for a game. However, in that same time I have gone to Amazon several times looking at game prices. On the old design I frequently followed BGG links to coolstuff, MM, etc... to check prices.

I understand that BGG is a business and that the revenue from Amazon and ebay must be substantial, but, really, seems to me that the layout is a slap in the face of the specialty stores who actually love and care about the hobby.

just my $.02

They've been getting slapped quite a bit recently. They're used to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's maybe the only ad div on the internet that I specifically put an exception in my blocker for. Definitely worth posting about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
It's maybe the only ad div on the internet that I specifically put an exception in my blocker for. Definitely worth posting about.

It was one of the biggest reasons I went to game pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:

just my $.02

From another way of looking at it, the new design has removed our ability to take the eBay and Amazon ads off our game pages. For those of us who purchased adblock because we don't want to load ads period, that is very annoying. I'm hoping they'll fix that before all is said and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
moonglum01 wrote:

just my $.02

From another way of looking at it, the new design has removed our ability to take the eBay and Amazon ads off our game pages. For those of us who purchased adblock because we don't want to load ads period, that is very annoying. I'm hoping they'll fix that before all is said and done.

I purchase adblock every year for a while now, and I see nothing of the sort, and haven't since the game pages upgraded. Did you expire?

Well, I only see up to "Patron 2015" on your badge, so yes, you expired. Problem solved. You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
Well, I only see up to "Patron 2015" on your badge, so yes, you expired. Problem solved. You're welcome!

Not exactly how it works. I bought my badge in December of 2015, so my year of ad block is good until December of 2016. I also see the e-bay and Amazon "ads" even though I have all ads blocked. Those are the only two I still see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
saint1012 wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Not exactly how it works. I bought my badge in December of 2015, so my year of ad block is good until December of 2016. I also see the e-bay and Amazon "ads" even though I have all ads blocked. Those are the only two I still see.

They're not considered ads. I got feedback to my feedback when I reported them as displaying despite adblock. But go ahead and do so, too, with the "Feedback" button on the new game pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
saint1012 wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

They're not considered ads. I got feedback to my feedback when I reported them as displaying despite adblock. But go ahead and do so, too, with the "Feedback" button on the new game pages

Yeah, I've heard that one. I consider it one of the most bizarre rationalizations ever. Marketing uber alles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.