Samuel Taylor

Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

So, I'm going to be purchasing either the Twin Shadows or Bespin Gambit small box expansion. Do any of you have advice on which of the two I should purchase?

I will eventually get both, but it will probably be a while before I am able to purchase the other small box since I will probably save up to get Return to Hoth and some figure packs next. I plan on playing the mini campaign with some friends who have never played the game before.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's hard to say. Both expansions have great Star Wars missions. I really like the story arcs of both, and while Twin Shadows has Boba Fett and the droids, Bespin Gambit has Lando and Bossk. They're both great additions. I think though if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Bespin Gambit, since all the tiles are new looking (i.e. no desert tiles), it's a little refreshing if you've been playing the core set a lot.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
This really is tricky. They're both quite good, and as Shnar says, it's hard to say, on a campaign level, which has the better missions. Here's how I'd look at the pros and cons of both:

Twin Shadows:
+Heavy stormtroopers and Tusken Raiders are interesting, generally useful troops that will likely see a good amount of use
+Two very solid characters
+Syncs up nicely with the existing material (a lot of desert and imperial interior levels)
-Campaign items are a little disappointing (Gaffi Stick and Hunting Rifle have never been purchased in my campaigns)
-Imperial class deck (Inspiring Leadership) is rather fiddly and probably not one of the strongest.

Bespin Gambit:
+Arguably more advanced level design (though they're both good)
+More unique-looking tiles (Cloud City)
+Two more specialized characters (the Jedi may be a big positive for some, and a big negative for others)
+More interesting campaign items likely to see use
+Imperial class deck, while probably not all-powerful, is thematic and takes advantage of the new "hidden" condition well
+Unlike TS, contains a mission to offer rebels an entirely new ally (Lando)
-Relatively uninteresting included units (this is obviously personal). The wing guard and ughnaughts aren't seeing a whole lot of use in my campaign.

Not sure which I'd say is better. If I was going to just buy one, I'd probably lean towards Bespin... but I can easily see why others would go with TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stubbs
msg tools
Haven't played Bespin yet, but I have to say, the opener mission for twin shadows feels like the perfect hook for new players. Definitely more classic Star Wars feel than the core campaign opener. Happy to share more but don't want to spoil things unless requested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
Garriath wrote:
+Unlike TS, contains a mission to offer rebels an entirely new ally (Lando)

Just clarifying this point: I believe Lando is a reward when using this as a side mission in a full campaign and in the Bespin campaign (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have Bespin yet; but I know Lando's figure pack does not grant him as an ally). In Twin Shadows campaign you can recruit R2 and 3PO, but not when using those missions as side missions in other campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.