Subject: Inoperable Bomb Bay Doors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Querie to all..

If Bomb Bay Doors are inoperable, before bombs are dropped,
How does this affect staying in formation after the target is bombed by the rest of the formation ?

i.e your still bomb laden,
Other B-17's are lighter having dropped their bombs, so would your B-17 still be able to maintain formation ?

cheers

Mike

Edit:
Question is now superseded..
Lost my #3 engine,
"if one engine out and bombs still aboard, B-17 must jettison bombs to stay in formation , otherwise it is out of formation "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the answer would be between fuel consumption and weight. The plane would have to maintain a slower speed to make it back with the extra weight.

Of course my answer doesn't address the shorter range missions.

I wonder if weight affects the planes ability to maintain a higher altitude?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:

If Bomb Bay Doors are inoperable, before bombs are dropped,
How does this affect staying in formation after the target is bombed by the rest of the formation ?

i.e your still bomb laden,
Other B-17's are lighter having dropped their bombs, so would your B-17 still be able to maintain formation ?

Mike,
In this situation your squadron mates will be 2000 Lbs lighter so your bomber would not be able to keep up with the group. I have read that the B-17 would larches up substantially as the Fortress was relieved of its burden. Also there would be a worry of fuel consumption.
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.