Subject: Solo play : player actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. I have played a couple of games and so far it's a struggle to survive..

Question: if playing solo with 4 hero units and 1 heroic civilian unit how many actions would you use??

I am currently playing with 1 player action only and everything else comes from the event deck or character actions..

Should I be using a player action for each hero unit I am using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ab Normal
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing correctly for the pure solo game. If you wanted to play using "solo coop", you could have an action token for each character. However, you would need to implement the ZMP and ZPP rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In a pure solo game, You have 1 player action only+ whatever the number of event action, depending on the event card.
Whatever the action (player or event) you are playing, it's not specific to any hero. For instance, if you have 4 actions (1 player action + 3 event actions) you can choose to use 4 actions on a single hero that is not even yours. That is not an issue.
In a pure solo game, Event actions and the single Player action are used the same way.
The only hero specific actions are the special actions that a hero has on its card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
So.. I have played a couple of games and so far it's a struggle to survive..

Sounds like you're playing correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying. I was really hoping I had more actions.

This game is brutal..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobarian65 wrote:
You are playing correctly for the pure solo game. If you wanted to play using "solo coop", you could have an action token for each character. However, you would need to implement the ZMP and ZPP rules.

Thanks for this - I was confused over what the "solo co-op" format actually was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DotZ is brutal - I've given up playing to win; I just aim to not lose as badly as last time and enjoy the ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gmaal wrote:
DotZ is brutal - I've given up playing to win; I just aim to not lose as badly as last time and enjoy the ride!

DON'T give up trying to win -- give up trying to be a hero. It is YOU that should be brutal -- the Zeds AND the people of Farmingdale should be terrorized by your efficient ruthlessness. Most of the Civilians and Refugees are doomed to die, don't lift a finger to save them -- saving the human race itself is MUCH more important.

Identify optimal uses of your cast of USEFUL characters, RESEARCH, establish your defensive positions, gather resources, and then unleash hell. Luckily, the Zeds don't have to be all killed -- just frustrated till the clock runs out. Many games end with the Cemetery full, the board covered in Zeds...and a clear cut player win -- just don't expect to be elected to anything in the aftermath (don't worry, the rest of the world thanks you).

In all seriousness, this post highlights the limited amount of action points available (at least compared to the job at hand). Being "efficient" is the single most important feature of success -- this is common to all State of Siege games (probably games in general), but the exciting, "cinematic" narrative of DotZ seems to cause an inefficient "reaction" (or humantarian) mentality. Resist this, plan the WHOLE game from the beginning (I know that will take experience), and you can completely "flip" your win percentage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I put it a little strongly - how about “i go into this game expecting to lose“? But I think how you and i define spinning might in any case be a bit different, Wes. This is an instance in which story (including epilogue) is important to my enjoyment of the game, not just 'winning' as per the rule book. After all, if the only humanity I can save is an inhumanly brutal one, is it worth saving?

Edit: yes, I know that says 'spinning', but it made me laugh when I spotted it, so I'm leaving it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is an instance in which story (including epilogue) is important to my enjoyment of the game, not just 'winning' as per the rule book.

Me, too. I'm trying to save the freakin' WORLD here, people! Every Refugee is a tragedy!!

Now Wes, and the developer, Petra, are both of the "let those speedbump Civilians and Refugees DIE!" school of gameplay. When Petra and I play co-op, she considers every Action I take to preserve their lives as "wasted." Well, I don't!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gmaal wrote:
Maybe I put it a little strongly - how about “i go into this game expecting to lose“? But I think how you and i define spinning might in any case be a bit different, Wes. This is an instance in which story (including epilogue) is important to my enjoyment of the game, not just 'winning' as per the rule book. After all, if the only humanity I can save is an inhumanly brutal one, is it worth saving?

Edit: yes, I know that says 'spinning', but it made me laugh when I spotted it, so I'm leaving it there.

I am also stating my opinion a little strongly, but I do think I can "back up" my views thematically as well as in "practice". If Dawn of the Zeds 3 was all about "random town, attacked by random zombies", I would completely agree with your (and Alan, and the clear majority) view -- there wouldn't be much of a victory, if nearly everyone was dead at the end.

Maybe the original Zeds was indeed that situation -- but clearly Zeds 2 & 3 are not. Actually, Dawn of the Zeds was one of the few State of Siege games I didn't own back in the day, because I thought it was just a random tactical zombie exercise (which I never had any interest in). It took a friend (steeped in zombie lore) handing me a Zeds 2 copy to "figure out what the hell to do" for me to even look at the game. I was very surprised to not only find excellent gameplay, but a very strategic point to the "why here, why now"? question -- against all odds I was even drawn in by the theme.

Now I do admit to "role-playing" Jones while playing -- I feel he is trying to spare our planet the hell that once infested his. But like here in Wisconsin (where we take great effort to "cull the herd" of deer when "Chronic Wasting Disease" is virulent), plenty of healthy specimens (people to Jones, deer to us) are sacrificed for the "greater good". But beyond the "Jones mentality", I think it is HIGHLY thematic for players to "play to win" in Zeds 3.

Farmingdale is NOT a random town -- it is Ground Zero", the origin of the plague threatening mankind, but also possessing the secrets to defeat that plague. Superb storytelling, clearly underlining the stakes involved. If the players "lose", not only is the town overrun, but the critical research, and specialized knowledge will potentially be lost as well. Best case: tens of millions of dead (or should I say undead), worst case: the extinction of the human race itself.

With that stark fate awaiting defeat, how can I justify ANY lessening of victory chances in order to save a "few more" people, or "buff my resume" to become President some day. Sacrificing yourself, and/or your friends, family and neighbors in order to succeed, seems to be the most thematic and heroic way to play (with these stakes), even if the actual actions employed "appear" to do the opposite. Actually, given that you can crank up victory chances to around 90% if played Co-op ruthlessly, versus maybe 30% if you are "angling for President" -- on average, more people of Farmingdale are living through your "tyrannical" reign, than your "warm and fuzzy" one (and if the rest of the world had the "facts", and had a referendum on what "style" of defense you should muster, I think I know what their preference would be).

Actually, playing for "high score" (glowing epilogues) is a very reasonable way to challenge yourself -- every time I have sat down to do that in ZEDS 3 however, I never "pull that trigger" (either not playing, or playing win/loss with some pro-Zeds ops). Thematically (and I admit, personal gaming style) just pathologically inhibit any attempt to "waste" action points on inefficient "rescue operations". I know theme is very much an "in the eye of the beholder" thing, I just hate to see anyone lose interest in this superb game due to continual failure. At least not before "experiencing the power of the dark side" -- which I maintain IS actually the "light side" here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petra Schlunk
msg tools
Quote:
Farmingdale is NOT a random town -- it is Ground Zero", the origin of the plague threatening mankind, but also possessing the secrets to defeat that plague. Superb storytelling, clearly underlining the stakes involved. If the players "lose", not only is the town overrun, but the critical research, and specialized knowledge will potentially be lost as well. Best case: tens of millions of dead (or should I say undead), worst case: the extinction of the human race itself.

This is exactly how I view this as well... Every action needs to be directed to saving the world at large, not just one particular town or character... Not everyone agrees with me... The arguments we have playing this game in-house... you have no idea!!! LOL

Happy Zeds Hunting!
Petra (@VPG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, players interested in playing humanitarian style AND winning should consider Hauser as their chosen Hero. His optimum play methods mimic the "compassionate style" quite nicely (who knew he was a "softie" under that gruff exterior). Heaven help if you choose Hauser Co-op while another player chooses Jones -- the players might actually kill each other before the Zeds can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Wes, loving your insights into this - and don't worry, I have in no way lost interest here; Zeds still ranks amongst my personal favourites - here is so much game and so much story here that I don't see how you can't love it if you're into those things. And maybe that's most where I'm coming from - I'm not necessarily striving to win at all costs, because I enjoy the struggle win or lose; and I am, it appears, always going to to lose 'more' because of the integral desire to seek an heroic outcome and leave no one behind if there's a chance of saving them. And one day, one day, the dice will respect and bless my altruism...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.