Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I ride my bike to work.Microbadge: Minnesota Twins fan
I played this game as an alien recently and was eliminated by a fellow alien on turn 6 who said that he was pretty sure I was in that space but also knew I was an alien.
The same game one of the humans turned aliens said he was just going to hunt down the alien that caught him instead of the remaining humans.
Maybe these are just examples of people playing poorly or wrong but it got me thinking, maybe an alien attacking a fellow alien should result in the death of the attacker instead of the attacked. It would also help give the humans a sorely needed edge in this game in the very early rounds. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Bates
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Beagle loverMicrobadge: Homebrewer - I make my own beer !Microbadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: I play the drumsMicrobadge: Woodworker
It sounds like those people are just playing poorly or at least not really in the spirit of the game. Every game I have played where the humans are attacked, they gladly help hunt down the remaining humans and accept the alien role quite happily.
Also I don't see it making much difference if the attacking alien was the one that died. Either way, one of the aliens is going to die and be eliminated so the numbers don't change. Also if the attacking alien died, that would remove a poorly playing alien from the game so would probably be to the alien's benefit overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mech Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
Why do you keep touching me?
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2016 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: The Dice Tower Gaming Awards fan
I like the idea though. Maybe they BOTH die in a bloody scuffle. Would make it quite tense for the aliens and make them attack very carefully.

Would only be for high play-counts though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinda sucks to kick someone out of the game though...especially if it is easily in the game. What if both of them "die" and are reincarnated back at the Alien starting spot?

Or the "dead" alien turns into a human at the starting space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: Onitama fanMicrobadge: The Grizzled fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Ludologist
People like this ruin games. THey're the kingmakers and the vendetta players. They are the griefers of the board game world. They don't play to win they play to disrupt. Don't game with them. My children know better than to do any of those things, and our youngest is 10.

There are sometimes when an alien killing another alien is optimal play, though. We played in an 8 player game today. We had the humans down to 3 and I'd located what was almost certainly, a human.

My wife was a fellow alien on the same space. I attacked and killed both of them which put us up 5-2 on the hunt and gave me 3 movement. I didn't do it to kill her. I didn't want to kill her, but I did want us to win. We still ended up losing to a REALLY sneaky human (our daughter).

She had everyone at the table convinced she was in an escape pod in the bottom left corner, but then she started reporting in the top right corner. We figured that some of that reporting had to be correct. She had 3 reports in a row from dangerous sectors and they were all leading down a narrow corridor of dangerous sectors. Everything added up perfectly to a single cell.

I attacked and she wasn't there; I was shocked.

Luckily another alien else had her in one more move in the top right corner, or so we thought. Before he could move to strike she announce she had reached an escape pod and found it functional and in the upper left hand corner. We were all shocked. It was a fantastic game. Only of our Aliens who was being very quiet was actually on her trail. The rest of us were baffled. I called her Newt for the rest of the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls