Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » General

Subject: Fun game, except when it's incredibly tedious...better setup rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fischer
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I've played 2.5 games of Machi Koro, with and without the Harbor expansion. One game was brisk And fun. The other 1.5 games were overly-long slogs; high-number, high cost cards out to start making the first half of the game a boring march to eke out the coins to build up two-dice cards and unlock the two-dice rolling, so gameplay could actually begin.

The random aspect seems to wreck the game half the time, and change it from a 30-min quickie to a 45 minute exercise in tedium.

It seems like a different setup is needed, to make sure the game gets going.

Are there alternate rules recommended for base or expansions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the main variant people use.

Make 3 decks:

2-6 non-purple cards
7+ non-purple cards
Purple cards

Play harbor rules but make 2 of the 10 piles from the Purple cards deck and 4 piles from each of the other decks.

You can vary the number of piles as needed, even exceeding 10. What I described works pretty well for Harbor, but you may want more piles with Millionaire's Row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, there's a "5-5-2" variant (unofficial, so far as I know) where you separate out the 1-6 cards, the 7+ cards, and the purple cards into three draw piles, and divide the offer between them such that there's always 5 low number cards, 5 high number cards, and 2 purples.

It's described elsewhere in the forums, but that's the gist of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fischer
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I think I found the answer
The 5/5/2 deck setup sounds like it should fix the problems I've had with MK. I look forward to playing it with this variant.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315037/3-draw-pile-var...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fine as it is. Sometimes, when we agree that the current "market" state is meh, we wipe them all and deal 10 different ones again. But that's rarely the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmilSkoda wrote:
I've played 2.5 games of Machi Koro, with and without the Harbor expansion. One game was brisk And fun. The other 1.5 games were overly-long slogs; high-number, high cost cards out to start making the first half of the game a boring march to eke out the coins to build up two-dice cards and unlock the two-dice rolling, so gameplay could actually begin.

The random aspect seems to wreck the game half the time, and change it from a 30-min quickie to a 45 minute exercise in tedium.

It seems like a different setup is needed, to make sure the game gets going.

Are there alternate rules recommended for base or expansions?

You can play the base game with all cards available at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.