War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The perfect board - tweaked 1ed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
In recent years, since acquiring 2ed, I found myself not only playing less, but also not wanting to as much as I did. After pondering on it a bit, I think that second edition board is at least partially to blame. It's much more boardgame-y, and while I appreciate much more sensible (more concise) areas, I didn't have any problems with the legibility of the first edition, once you learned the positions of fords, settlements and strongholds - after all I knew the locations from the books.

And the first edition board just vibrated with theme, taking it out was very much like taking out the Lord of the Rings from the shelf. I feel that a small update to the original would suffice - move the borders a bit and make them stand out a bit more, use a more contrasting font for region names and differentiate various types of settlements just a bit more.

As there is zero chance of something like that appearing, I think I'm going to make my own and glue it to the reverse of the board. Are there any non-cosmetic differences between both editions? It seems to me that some of the areas changed names, but other than that they are equivalent from the gameplay perspective. I am not a graphic designer, but scanning, stitching, raising the borders to a new layer and adjusting levels should be elementary.

What changes would you make? Any advice on what too look out for, both from the gameplay perspective and to keep it with the lore (I am not sure how to proceed about the areas that changed names between editions)? I assume that 1ed was closer to the source and the layout changed to beter suit the game, but I am not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no changes in adjacencies or things that would change game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis David
Philippines
flag msg tools
I have the first edition (we play with 2nd ed rules though), and I like the board. It's nice all in all, pretty functional. To me though, the fortifications and settlements might easier to see with the 2nd ed board, and there are more boxes on the side for the armies and Strongholds. I haven't tried the game with the 2nd ed map, but I find myself wanting to print out stickers for the forts and settlements, and the army/Stronghold boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly agree that fortifications should be better marked, but I feel they flushed the baby with bathwater here. Larger, more contrasty font would suffice in my opinion. A grey icon would still stend out from the largely monochromatic board, but current icons look a bit from a different fairy tale, as we say in Poland.

Anybody inows the reason behind name changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the overwhelming brownness on the first board was very disappointing. Not my idea of Middle Earth at all. For me, the second edition was a major improvement in that regard - or even a correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:

Anybody inows the reason behind name changes?

Anorien was changed to Folde because the former is actually part of Gondor yet for game purposes the designers had put the region in Rohan. Boundaries remained unchanged.

I think that was the only name change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.