Subject: example turn demonstrating all the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolf
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll be teaching Caylus on the weekend, so am thinking about how to explain it. I expect that after going over the rules once (possibly without the more esoteric exceptions), it would be useful to demonstrate a (mid-game) sample turn which not only demonstrates the normal rules but also the exceptions.

In other words, I would like a situation at the start of a round (as real as possible, but I'm aware that some bits may have to be contrived) together with a (sensible - again that might not be possible) sequence of moves for this turn which illustrates all (or as many as possible) of the rules. Probably one needs to include small alternative move sequences (if the blue player hadn't played this, but that instead ...) but I would like to keep these to a minimum. It would also be great if this example would be 'as small as possible' so that it doesn't take too long to demonstrate.

An example like this could work like an oracle. Have a rules question? Find the point in the move sequence where the question applies.

Happy thinking,

Rolf

Some of the exceptions/rules which are easily gotten wrong:
Favours:
- you can choose a favour track where you've already proceeded to the last available space in this era
- you can choose 'lesser' favours instead of more advanced ones
- you cannot choose the same favour track in the same phase twice, but it is allowed to choose the same favour track in different phases
Inn:
- being in the inn leaves you one worker short
Foreign buildings:
- the owner gets a victory point if a different player places a worker there, no matter whether the building gets activated
- the owner of the stone production buildings does not get the extra resource if the building is not activated or he himself has the worker there
Building:
- the various possibilities for building residences (answering the question of when does the replacement take place?)
Scoring:
- the scoring when a section is completed and the appropriate favours as opposed to when the scoring is activated by the bailiff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It only ever costs you ONE denier to place your own worker on your own building, regardless of how many people have passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inn: When the Inn is activated and you have a worker there from a previous round and no other player has placed a worker there, you may choose to either let the worker stay or to place him back to your pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathInc wrote:
It only ever costs you ONE denier to place your own worker on your own building, regardless of how many people have passed.

This is a rule we missed and I'm sure it will make a big difference to our next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Favours:
You may not choose past a certain column on the favour track until after certain areas of the castle are scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.