Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way the users can be better informed about game merges and deletions? With so much cross-referencing of game data on BGG, when a game goes missing, it can create holes. Some examples:

colonist Today, I noticed a null item on several geeklists, having nothing but their comments. Suspecting the game had been deleted, I checked its gameid. Sure enough, game 9055 had gone missing. I don't even have a clue what the game was, forget about why it was deleted or merged. All I know about it is that it is for ages 4-8.
colonist On several occasions before, I have been updating wiki pages, and notice that a game formerly referenced has gone missing, only to find out with a quick search that the game still exists, now just with a much more recent gameid. This one is a complete mystery to me. The most recent one of these I witnessed was Wicked Witches Way (28025), which I think used to have a 4-digit ID when it was listed as primarily Du Balai !, if that gives you any idea.

Now, either I'm just really lucky, or this is happening more and more. I really don't want to see BGG start to look like Swiss cheese, and an unmaintained mess (when actually quite the opposite is true!).

It would be dreamy for that stuff to get updated automatically and transparently, when possible. Even if that were the case, though, there are still unforeseeable cases, so it would be very helpful to have a user-accessible log or something that simply tracks major events like deletion and merge and split of game records.

Could we have some marvelous clue-giving mechanism to keep us users, who help maintain the site, informed? Please?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I consider some of the actions the mods and/or site caretakers have taken with game mergers and deletions to be unconscionable actually. The purpose of the BGG site (I assume so anyway) above all else is to keep a database for all boardgames and to supply boardgame hobbyists with a site where they can readily find ratings, reviews, and discussions about boardgames they are interested in.

Here's an example of an action that effectively wiped out many ratings and personal views of over 80 individuals:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/16566

No attempt was made to keep these ratings and opinions from 81 individuals who took the time to rate and/or comment on their views on this boardgame when it was merged with another version.

I consider that action as brutally harsh... wiping out 81 legitimate viewpoints on a whim pretty much invalidates a lot of the arguments about whether shillers/flamers/vigilante votes and opinions should be "extracted" from the system. It's hard to see the reasoning behind those arguments when a wholesale slaughter of legitimate votes happens like this from time to time.

I realize the database needs to be kept concise and organized but I don't think blindly disregarding and deleting viewpoints and ratings is the way to go about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I can understand your frustration; however, I'd like to think that the discard of those ratings was either a mistake, or a shortcoming of the database and system design as it was in late 2003. Of course, I can't speak for all of them, but most of the admins with whom I've had dealings are trying to the right thing(s), and as helpful as they can be. Really, their biggest "sin" is that they seem to be too busy, in general.

As a developer of software, let me assure you that what seems like the simplest task can go horribly pear-shaped if the situation is less than ideal - especially if you thought beforehand that the situation was ideal!

In any event, a good log of such events should help. Imagine it's 2003/12/26 all over again, and a helpful admin performs a Game Merge. The merge function logs relevant information before executing - which might include ratings and comments in an undo-ready format - and everyone knows what's happened. Ideally everything has gone smoothly, but if not, the users can see that it wasn't malicious or negligent, and the admins have a better idea of what happened, and a better chance of fixing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.