Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire Imps have the Flame Fiend ability which allows them to ignore the effects of lava, so it stands to reason that they cannot take damage fire/heat. So surely this should apply to other fire based creatures and creatures with innate fire based attacks, and therefore other monsters/enemies should be similarly immune to matching damage type, eg, Ice Wyrms and Wendigos being immune to cold damage?

This also opens up the possibility that such creatures/enemies/figures would take additional damage from opposing damage types, for example a Lava Beetle might take additional damage (treated as piercing?) from cold/water damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no equivalent of element damage in descent. The imps do not take damage from lava terrain, and cannot be afflicted damaged by burning condition. However, there are no other "type" conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems crazy that a hero with a burning condition could effectively stand next to a Fire Imp and damage it, or a fire attack could damage a Fire Imp when they can quite happily sit in lava.

Has anyone developed any house rules to cover such discrepancies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as far as I know. The fire imps are unique with their "flame fiend" ability. Descent doesn't distinguish between things like "fire damage", "cold damage", etc. There is only damage. Some characters have special abilities that prevent them from taking damage from certain sources (such as the fire imps) or for example, the hero ispher cannot be poisoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosalind Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Someone could easily enough come up with a Fluffy mod for damage types. though it would prob only be "balanced" in Road to Legend. It would e too OP for an overlord player to be able to deliberately choose monsters to counter your weapon choices (players got magma blast, time to spam magma beetle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
The imps do not take damage from lava terrain, and cannot be afflicted by burning condition.

I don´t think this is completely accurate Zaltyre. There is nothing that prevents the imps from being able to take a burning condition, they themselves are just immune to the damage part of this condition, regardless if they themself are burning, or another adjacent friendly figure is burning. Other adjacent friendly figures on the other hand, would take damage from a burning fire imp.

Nyogtha wrote:
Seems crazy that a hero with a burning condition could effectively stand next to a Fire Imp and damage it, or a fire attack could damage a Fire Imp when they can quite happily sit in lava.

This would not happen, as the burning condition states:

Quote:
At the end of your turn, you and each friendly figure adjacent to you suffers 1 Heart.

So, enemy figures are never affacted by the burning damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I misspoke, thank you. They just don't take damage themselves from burning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect my post sounded a bit smartassy, but that wasn´t my intention. Sorry for that. The situation with burning and fire imps just came up yesterday while playing Road to Legend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delvhar Ironfist
msg tools
zaltyre wrote:
You're right, I misspoke, thank you. They just don't take damage themselves from burning.

DelphiDie wrote:
In retrospect my post sounded a bit smartassy, but that wasn´t my intention. Sorry for that. The situation with burning and fire imps just came up yesterday while playing Road to Legend.

Well it's not like we can expect the guy to be right 100% of the time can we? CAN WE?!?!?!

Oh Zaltyre why hath thou forsaken us, thy loyal cultists?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.