Geoff Graham CheeseViking Games
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Super Fighting Robot is a solo card game inspired by the Robot Masters boss fights in the MegaMan video game series.

Current design is near component ready! Components are currently just 54 Cards.
Rules are in flux- minor changes and updates from private playtesting.

Categories:
New Designer
New Solo Designer
Survival Game
Playable on Airline Seat
Easy to Build Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desmond Meraz
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fun concept, I look forward to seeing more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very cool! Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks everyone!
It's going to be a fun few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cheeseviking wrote:
Super Fighting Robot is a solo card game inspired by the Robot Masters boss fights in the MegaMan video game series.

Interesting- love to see how it fits in the small space! I'll be checking back when rules/cards are up.

VPT-Miller
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:
Interesting- love to see how it fits in the small space! I'll be checking back when rules/cards are up.

VPT-Miller

Thanks! Too many small things in flux for me to comfortably post rules yet.
The goal is to have the game ready to rock in early July.

Card list has grown a bit to 70ish cards but I'm not sure that's the right direction.

Edit: messed up the quote tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Falling a little behind on my own schedule but still progressing. I had hoped to be component ready over the 4th of July weekend, but I'm not quite there.

Slogging through some graphic design and some final play tests.

Should be component ready within the week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a reminder that the contest deadline is July 31st. How is the game coming along? I hope that you'll be able to make components available by that time. I'm looking forward to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
chansen2794 wrote:
Just a reminder that the contest deadline is July 31st. How is the game coming along? I hope that you'll be able to make components available by that time. I'm looking forward to your game.

Thanks for the reminder. It's close! Finalizing some last minute things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Re: WIP 2016 Solitaire Print N Play Contest Entry- Super Fighting Robot CONTEST READY
Super Fighting Robot is now Contest Ready!
Components and rules can be found here
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5eQ_IDEbXq-b1JsbkJl...

Edit:
Components: 73 Cards (some cards can be substituted with cubes) and rule book.
Estimated play time ~20-30 min
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Super Fighting Robot is officially in the database!

I will be updated the page periodically with any needed rules revisions and art upgrades after the contest is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I wanted to play Super Fighting Robots today, but ran into some problems.

At first I had a bit of a hard time to understand the rules, because game term explanations can only be found in the glossary and some game terms aren't explained there (like "Starting Move Cards Deck") or are named differently (like "Combos"). And while a glossary is fine for reference, I think it would be better to explain these terms in the rules, too. I think that would make the game more accessible.

Then I stumbled upon some rules questions:
- When I draw cards to "construct the ring" may I choose for each card in which slot it is placed?
- When I spend 1 energy to remove a card does it get replaced or is there an empty slot in the ring for this round?
- Is the steampowered bot's first power triggered by cards that I did remove in former matches?

And I discovered a mistake: The solar bot says solar bot at the top of the card, but seismic bot in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the interest! And for finding my mistakes. I will work on cleaning up the rule book and fixing the Solar Bot typo.

Here are the answers to your questions

1) Yes, you choose where to play each card.
2) It sounds like I need to clean up the writing for removing cards. Instead of playing them to the ring, you can spend 1 energy to remove the card from the game permanently. After that, continue playing and constructing the ring as normal.
3) Steam Powered Bot gets a bonus to attacks if you removed a card from the game at any point.

Please let me know if you run into any more confusion!
Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played five games now, each one against four bots. On two games I lost in the initial match, on the others I got to the third match twice and fourth match once before losing.

I think the core mechanic (distributing cards to yourself and the opponent, or "arming the enemy" as I would call it) has much potential. And the possibility to manipulate things even further with bot powers adds some more player influence and fun. In particular I like the rule that you salvage equipment from defeated opponents to upgrade your bot.

But there are some things that I didn't like and that I think need some more development:

1) Bots: I don't think the difficulty of the bots is balanced well (yet?). To defeat the tide bot for example you'll need to do four damage in a single round - right now it seems to me that you'd need to get a very lucky draw to do so, without having much influence on it. Some others like the sonic bot or torch bot can be beaten, but they will either cost you a lot of HP or energy or both, making you ripe to pick for your next opponent.

2) Number of cards: I've played it that after each round I did put the used cards into the discard pile and used the rest of the move card deck for the next round. Since there are 20 cards in the deck and one round uses up at least 8, I always had to shuffle the discard pile to create a new deck when I was halfway into the last round. I think it would be better if you'd either increase the number of cards in this deck to 24 or decrease it to 16, so the shuffle doesn't happen midway thriugh the last round. Or have the player shuffle the discarded cards back into the deck before each round (to decrease the total number of cards would be advisable then, too).

3) Energy: Energy is hard to get, but important to activate powers. On the games where I lost in the third or forth match I just didn't have enough energy left to do the necessary things to win. It almost seems like that once your starting energy is used up, you stop doing things and the game starts to play you and not the other way around. To gain one energy for each defeated opponent and an occasional energize just doesn't seem to be enough to keep you going until the end.

4) Generic moves: The generic moves seem to be a bit bland. Most of them are just "one damage values" - one damage done, one damage prevented, one damage repaired. Because of this the effects of a lot of generic cards in the ring just cancel themselves out. An exception are counterattacks, but there aren't many of them.

To improve the last two things I mentioned, I'd suggest that you might give additional abilities that could generate energy to maybe a third of the generic cards - like "Robo Power Punch: Deal 1 damage. If matched with block, gain 1 energy." Or "Robo Tesla Coil Block: Prevent 1 damage. If adjacent to a matchup that includes pulse or energize, gain 1 energy".

Overall I think the game is fun and has good potential, but would need a bit more development to make the core mechanic shine and to get rid of some flaws.

Thanks for creating this game and good luck on the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thank you for the feedback!

Thanks for taking the time to play several games and organize your thoughts and issues.

It is a hard game, and you may be right that it is too hard, especially with the energy.

I will look at testing more and improving after the contest concludes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Breugelmans
Belgium
Vorselaar
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this game, by accident ... oops.
No I'm interested in knowing how this game has ended up. Almost a year ago ... progression?

I would like to run a test of this game, see how it works ... then I would write a review about also to put here on BGG in a weblink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I didn't like how it ended up and pushed it to the back of my mind.
Maybe I'll get around to it eventually.

I appreciate the interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls