Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the difference between the solid red triangle and 'grey triangle-within' red triangle ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid triangles reflect a turreted gun. Grey/red reflects a fixed arc.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, to fire outside of its front arc, the grey-red triangle units have to turn their facing in a separate impulse before firing in a later impulse ????

whereas a solid red triangle unit may fire outside of its frontal arc in the same impulse by just paying the 'moving fire' penalty ???

I thought maybe the limited grey-red triangle could fire its 'fixed' gun only through the front row (not arc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure, Steve. Let me get Shayne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that both guns and vehicles with fixed arcs are treated the same. The rules covering guns state:

Guns can change their covered arc by spinning the AT gun in the same hex. The unit can fire, but it incurs all penalties for Moving Fire. Spinning the weapon and firing after occur as 2 separate actions.

So, you have to spend two actions and thus two different impulses. So, yeah, you would rotate in one impulse and then fire in another with the +1 movement modifier added to the hit roll. (Thank you Shane!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn13k359aqrw2qt/OST-rules%20ver5.2...

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Pultorak wrote:
So, to fire outside of its front arc, the grey-red triangle units have to turn their facing in a separate impulse before firing in a later impulse ????

whereas a solid red triangle unit may fire outside of its frontal arc in the same impulse by just paying the 'moving fire' penalty ???

I thought maybe the limited grey-red triangle could fire its 'fixed' gun only through the front row (not arc).

Yes, Ski is right.

A vehicle with a covered arc can only fire within that arc. The hex the arrow is pointing to and the hex on either side define the covered arc. Extend these 3 hexes outward to see what you can shoot at.

In order to engage targets outside of this arc, the vehicle would have to either move while changing it's covered arc, or spin in the same hex, moving the triangle to a new hex side. Either way, the Moving Fire modifier will be applied during the turn.

Vehicles with the normal red triangle have turrets and can fire in any direction without have to change the vehicle facing. This vehicle will not have to pay the Moving Fire penalty, unless it actually moves on a previous Impulse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Then it appears that the (Red Triangle) Covered Arc of a turreted vehicle is meaningless for firing and is used only for determining the defensive 'facing' (frontal and flank) ratings.

This would mean that the turret can rotate very quickly without penalty, including when 'Opportunity' firing. Is this all correct ??

So Rule 8-6 is incorrect and should have the word "Limited" inserted before 'Covered Arc'

Like this ...

8-6.
Vehicles with a LIMITED - gray/red covered arc are limited to firing their main armament in a covered arc extending from the front facing of the vehicle.

...since 'red triangle' covered arcs can rotate and fire outside of arc freely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red triangle is referred to as the Unit facing in the rules and yes determines defensive factors. The red and gray triangle is referred to as a covered arc in the book, it shows the vehicle facing and covered arc of the vehicle's main armament.

It's easy enough to say covered arc, when I guess I should have said unit facing.

When a turn represents approx. 4 minutes, a turret does not have to rotate very quickly to engage multiple targets, so no penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Shayne.
Probably too late to fix or eliminate Rule 8-6 as written?

8-6.
Vehicles with a covered arc are limited to firing their main armament in a covered arc extending from the front facing of the vehicle.

When I initially read the rules, LIMITED covered arc was interpreted to be with the grey/red triangles...
whereas Covered Arc was interpreted for use with the red (turreted) triangles...which is my wrong assumption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When a turn represents approx. 4 minutes, a turret does not have to rotate very quickly to engage multiple targets, so no penalty.

Sooo true. Turrets are needless fiddlieness (sic). '65 doesn't use turrets either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.