Subject: An app like Descent Road to legend for solo/coop? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Descent intrigues me. It really really does, yet I have akin to the star wars universe. Curious if they will make an app like Road to Legend for Star wars IA before I make the plunge. I play solo quite often and the only thing that holds me back for SWIA is the fact that there is no coop/solo mode like Descent or at least with the inclusion of The app for Descent.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has made no announcements.

Maybe they will do one for Star Wars Imperial Assault, maybe they won't.

If they didn't it would probably be because of licensing restrictions.

If they did it might be announced at GenCon in August.

See several pages of discussion here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/205655-new-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it would be only natural to make a similar app for IA given its a very similar game, but yeah, the license could be the issue.
also, they might want to see how the app goes for descent before wanting to implement one for IA.

another factor may be that IA is bringing out lots of new campaign/scenario boxes regularly, while for descent they mostly bring in new heroes/monsters so the app would help in continuing descent while IA has plenty new expansions to keep it growing for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked them on their facebook page, and their specific response was that they don't comment on future projects, but that their current license restricted them from electronic star wars product. Take from that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice app was something allowed, as was the free SWRPG pdfs.

FFG are barred from:
-Selling Imperial Assault Products directly (they cannot sell IA at conventions or on their website)
-They cannot sell PDFs/ebooks of the SWRPG books
-They cannot sell electronic games

A Descent style app for IA is pretty much out of the question I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if they do not sell the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A companion app is not an electronic game. And I believe they did announce they were doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
A companion app is not an electronic game.

A layman's definition is not the same as a legal definition or terms outlined in a contract. There's some underlying reason the tweet about it was deleted back during Gen Con. They had licensing issues with publishing the game itself already, it wouldn't be surprising if there were issues trying to push a companion app based on the wording of their licensing deal (and that of whomever has rights to electronic games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have the exact text of the licensing agreement between Disney and Electronic Arts, so it's hard to say how much electronic it covers. From the vague press releases it covers a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure they get asked all the time, so (imo) the fact that they hadn't said a definitive "no" means it's still on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.