BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Playtesting Startup Stomp rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justen Palmer
United States
California
flag msg tools

Pictured: A recent playtest for Startup Stomp.

Startup Stomp is a game that was conceived during a January ski trip with my dad and sis. The initial idea was a board game based on the roller coaster ride of emotion that is running a startup. I pictured players vying for opportunities against each other with dice rolls, raising fat stacks of cash from investors, and hiring and deploying teams. I became obsessed with the idea, and quickly filled up several pages in my sketchbook.

Backstory: I'm an application developer and UI designer who has founded or developed for numerous startups over the past 8 years. This game takes its elements directly from my personal experiences.

Six months after the idea, the game has gone through 7 prototype versions driven by countless playtests. The most recent version (pictured above) has playtested well with every player thus far responding positively.

I'm approaching the design side from one of usability. It's minimalist and flat - no doubt inspired by the modern trends in application design. I'm hoping that the design doesn't come across as uninteresting because of its stark simplicity. I would love to get feedback from you guys.

I've been pretty ambitious with ideas for the game and one of them is a completely custom box. The box folds out to become the board that the game is played on. In addition, the board has magnets for closure and recessed cutouts to fit components. Because the box is so custom, I'm thinking I will have to either manufacture it myself or partner with a company that could handle that level of customization. I'm guessing option 2 is going to come with some hefty setup fees. Do you guys have any other options I should be considering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.