Pitta GAF
msg tools
mb
Hi!
As I saw some discussions about it, I just wanted to share my experience with the game.
I was a huge fan of the original game back in the days (miniatures painted by a friend of mine) till my father trashed it (I know, I know...it still hurts).
I never assembled, glued or painted anything in my life...I just play board games, possibly fully coop so I can play with my son.
Recently we played a lot of Star Wars miniatures game (we enjoy it a lot, and pre painted miniatures were a huge plus).

As soon as GW announced a new WHQ I was in hype mode.
To be honest I didn't like the look of the tiles from initial videos/reports and I do not like that much the gold armour of the Stormcasts (but I saw wonderful 'remakes' in other colors).

So...I tried 3 times the game at local GW, once with son, and we both were enthusiasts.
Fast, fun, adventurous...basically our perfect game.
The tiles are order of magnitudes better in person, and I must say I really like them.
Combined with the texts and events the game is really brilliant.

But still....those daunting sprue were off putting and I had a lot of doubts.
Tha game is not cheap too.

But in the end I took the plunge, game and citadel glue, and...

And it was awesome.
It took me 2 afternoons to build everything (first afternoon I was really slow due to incompetence).
I actually had a lot of fun building the miniatures, it wasn't that difficult, you just need patience and do a lot of dry fitting.
The worst part was cutting the parts (I used a special scissor) but more important positioning some parts that didn't have proper guides or plastic 'dots'.
Those are few but a bit annoying, I always had fear to put them wrongly.

But anyway...in the end everything was perfect and damn...they are GLORIOIUS.

Even unpainted they are orders of magnitude better than anything else I saw about boardgame components.

So...if you are interested in the game don't be scared by the miniature building.
It takes time and you need patience, but in the end the result is amazing and the whole process is pretty fun too IMHO.

I'll see if I'll try to paint too (starting with something else, I don't want to ruin my precioussssss).

An advice...it's probably something really stupid that everyone already know but it took me a whole afternoon to get.
I found MUCH easier to cut the sprue distant from the miniature and then 'rotate' the sprue till it fall off (leaving no trace at all or almost nothing on the miniatures...you can get rid of the excess even with your nail) than cutting near the joint and then removing with a cutter the excess.
Took me several miniatures to understand that...after that I was MUCH faster.

Just my two cents for those on the fence who had my same reservations.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PittaGAF wrote:


An advice...it's probably something really stupid that everyone already know but it took me a whole afternoon to get.
I found MUCH easier to cut the sprue distant from the miniature and then 'rotate' the sprue till it fall off (leaving no trace at all or almost nothing on the miniatures...you can get rid of the excess even with your nail) than cutting near the joint and then removing with a cutter the excess.
Took me several miniatures to understand that...after that I was MUCH faster.


I may be misunderstanding you here, but I jut want to say for anyone new to miniatures: Never twist miniatures off the sprue. If you did this without damaging, pitting, or putting stress on the models, you were very lucky.

Always use proper cutters.

What you can do, is cut the sprue away from the miniature, to get better access to cut the point where the sprue meets the model. Then use a fine file to smooth.

Other than that - glad you enjoyed your miniatures experience.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
I believe he meant cut the miniature from the sprue first - but make the cuts away from their break point so that the piece still has small bits of sprue attached. Then simply twist off the little bits of sprue that remain.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiarcus wrote:
I believe he meant cut the miniature from the sprue first - but make the cuts away from their break point so that the piece still has small bits of sprue attached. Then simply twist off the little bits of sprue that remain.


Exactly. Which is something you should never do.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fyi, Reaper just released its second Learn to Paint Kit, so pick up the first, see if you like it, then purchase the second. The second covers flesh tones, so you should get your figures to tabletop with both of the kits!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Quiarcus wrote:
I believe he meant cut the miniature from the sprue first - but make the cuts away from their break point so that the piece still has small bits of sprue attached. Then simply twist off the little bits of sprue that remain.


Exactly. Which is something you should never do.

I do it to (been into Warhammer for a long time), no problem, just don't force it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitta GAF - there are a lot of good tips for people new to painting in this geek list.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/123577/metalist-painting-...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Quiarcus wrote:
I believe he meant cut the miniature from the sprue first - but make the cuts away from their break point so that the piece still has small bits of sprue attached. Then simply twist off the little bits of sprue that remain.


Exactly. Which is something you should never do.


Here's a great video that shows the proper way to do this....

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As the above said, use model clippers. Personally I have a set of P3 ones. Like 8 bucks but last a VERY long time with no dulling. Cut as close as possible to the mini, then use a sharp blade to cut any remaining bits. I never twist as there is a good chance youll mess up the edges, such as swords or other thin parts. Use a blade!

As for painting, I haven't tried it yet but ive been seeing more and more "wash painting". Its more noob painter friendly. Base white or grey, and all you use is wash painted on the parts for color.

Ive watched people do it to orks and while I painted my full ST set as I normally, do, I might try wash painting at some point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
As the above said, use model clippers. Personally I have a set of P3 ones. Like 8 bucks but last a VERY long time with no dulling. Cut as close as possible to the mini, then use a sharp blade to cut any remaining bits. I never twist as there is a good chance youll mess up the edges, such as swords or other thin parts. Use a blade!

As for painting, I haven't tried it yet but ive been seeing more and more "wash painting". Its more noob painter friendly. Base white or grey, and all you use is wash painted on the parts for color.

Ive watched people do it to orks and while I painted my full ST set as I normally, do, I might try wash painting at some point.


The 'proper' term is called 'Juicing'.

You can take it one step further by priming black first, then spraying white paint or primer at a 45-90 degree angle over the black. This creates natural zenithal (lit from the top) shadows.
When you glaze or wash over top of the white/black priming, you end up with a nice, shaded and highlighted piece with very little effort.

I wrote an article on it here:
http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/08/12/tutorial-basics-...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much the process I use for priming my miniatures (with the added boost of some grey from the sides), and I can say that, when done properly, it looks fairly good on its own. However, I definitely feel that it looks better fully painted, of course.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The zenithal priming is a very easy way to paint highly detailed models with very little effort.
This method will work on anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pitta GAF
msg tools
mb
Thanks guys for the links and the encouragement.

After watching the video I think I 'properly' removed the miniatures from the sprue but I must confess that besides some pieces the vast majority in Sikver Tower have very small joints that you can safely remove just twisting the plastic without damaging anything, nor letting the 'white' residue on the miniature.
So far I did no damages at all. Of course there are some joints that are big and very close to the miniature....those were the hardest (I cut near and then removed with a knife).

As for painting...I watched like 1000000 video that make priming, base painting, washing and shading super easy...but I do not know...ill wait a bit and enjoy the game as it is for now.
Painting all those miniatures with all those different colors and shades sound a bit expensive too, so I'll have to wait.

BTW....I take this chance to ask you experts...I found this (awesome) video of a wonderful campaign of the original Warhammer Quest.
I really like how the heroes miniatures are painted (just black and grays, with tons of shadows). I wonder if it's just gray primer and shading...or how to achieve this.
Anyone knows?

https://youtu.be/t7Ixk8ilUQw
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to me like they primed white and then went over the figure with a black wash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PittaGAF wrote:

BTW....I take this chance to ask you experts...I found this (awesome) video of a wonderful campaign of the original Warhammer Quest.
I really like how the heroes miniatures are painted (just black and grays, with tons of shadows). I wonder if it's just gray primer and shading...or how to achieve this.
Anyone knows?

https://youtu.be/t7Ixk8ilUQw


You will probably like these by Gaz72UK:



Very simple, but it has a sort of classic, Chess-like feel.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pitta GAF
msg tools
mb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:


You will probably like these by Gaz72UK:



Very simple, but it has a sort of classic, Chess-like feel.


I like those A LOT.
I assume it's simpler to do than full painting...how do I do those?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John Blank wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
PittaGAF wrote:

BTW....I take this chance to ask you experts...I found this (awesome) video of a wonderful campaign of the original Warhammer Quest.
I really like how the heroes miniatures are painted (just black and grays, with tons of shadows). I wonder if it's just gray primer and shading...or how to achieve this.
Anyone knows?

https://youtu.be/t7Ixk8ilUQw


You will probably like these by Gaz72UK:



Very simple, but it has a sort of classic, Chess-like feel.


Those look great! Did you put the grey wash directly onto the models? If so, how does it work without primer?


I didn't do them, but that's just black then drybrushed grey. Drybushing is a neat technique for picking out details in a hurry. It's really quick, and gives the models definition without going the whole hog and painting them up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.