Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Way back in the mid-90's I had a few issues of The Duelist (I believe issues 3 though 7) and one of them had an article that described several draft variants (including a point-rotisserie draft that I've used back in the day and have talked about here several times but have long since forgotten the specific details as outlined in that article).

Now I'm trying to find that article again. The problem is, I can't be sure I remember which issue it was in. Looking at cover scans online, the only cover-article that rings a bell is Issue #3's "Magic Variants", but it may have been in a later issue without being mentioned on the cover.

Like a dolt, I threw out my old Duelist magazines long ago and now wish I hadn't. Can someone less doltlike who didn't throw out his/her Duelist mags please check the "Magic Variants" article of Duelist #3 to see if it has a "point draft" or "point rotisserie" draft variant described? And if not, if anyone could figure out which issue had the article describing such a draft variant?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in #3, haven't checked the other issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not talking about the old point queue draft?

You start with 60 points and then turn over cards one by one. First you turn over a card, you can buy that card for 6 points, if not the next player turn up another card and slide the first one to the right. Now he can either buy the card you turned over for 5 points or the one he turned over for 6 points and so on. Continue until there are 7 cards in the queue. From now on both of you have to draft a card each turn until you're out of points. When you draft slide all cards to the right, so it's always the most expensive slot that is empty.

Continue until all players have drafted 60 cards.

Edit: Corrected some errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep, that's the one. Thanks! Which issue was that described in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
man, i'm trying to help you with this... my old copies are currently stashed someone in my mom's attic, but i remember the issue, just not the number, im afraid

I've also used that draft for a league i ran years ago at work. The first card turned over was worth 6 points, and then each card turned over subsequently was worth 6, and the older cards moved down the stack and had their points lowered by 1, until you had 7 cards avaialble and the oldest card then was free, and HAD to be taken if the player didnt want any of the other choices...

it made for a very fun draft!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the format's always intrigued me as well, and it's been festering in the back of my mind for years. I'm thinking of applying some of its principles to a board game design as well as potentially using it for fantasy-sports drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Yep, that's the one. Thanks! Which issue was that described in?

#5 I think, not much more information than that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
You're not talking about the old point queue draft?

You start with 60 points and then turn over cards one by one. First you turn over a card, you can buy that card for 6 points, if not the next player turn up another card and slide the first one to the right. Now he can either buy the card you turned over for 5 points or the one he turned over for 6 points and so on. Continue until there are 7 cards in the queue. From now on both of you have to draft a card each turn until you're out of points. When you draft slide all cards to the right, so it's always the most expensive slot that is empty.

Continue until all players have drafted 60 cards.

Edit: Corrected some errors.

Heh. This is similar to how cards are drawn in Lawless. It's interesting to use in-game, as it allows for some look-ahead and takes some uncertainty out of drawing. How does it work as a draft, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I seem to remember it working tremendously well as a draft. I believe I also used it for Knightmare Chess as well.

Thanks to all for all the help! Just one more question for Paul if he has the article handy: Paul said "From now on both of you have to draft a card each turn until you're out of points" - does the article say 'both' (or in any way imply that the draft is designed for only two drafters?). I thought it was presented as a way to divide a common card pool among a group/league of players, and I didn't remember the article presenting it strictly as a two-player draft method.

But my memory could be playing tricks on me. It often does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, continue until all players are out of points. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're talking about a different system.

This is a drafting variant, not a point buy one in the sense you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
?

Did you reply to something that has since been deleted? I'm certain what I was looking for was exactly what you described in your second reply in this thread. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd went on at length about a Points System that assigned points to various cards and one could build a deck with X points in it (10? 15? I think the number depended on whether you had a sideboard or not.)

It was a quickly broken format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.