Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
We found ourselves in late game buying estates - yes, ESTATES? With so many alternate means to victory points you can never be certain who's got what. It really changes things up.

Yet another case to have fun with the Inheritance event (from Adventures)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wood
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I really like the new set. It's interesting because you have to really think about your intros, I find much more than other sets in the past. What happened with the advanced intro is I completely screwed up my deck because I didn't have a solid strategy in the beginning. If I did it again today, I would go Settlers into Bustling Village, followed by Royal Blacksmith into temple. There are some really cool things happening with this set though. I think it's one of my favorites already; definitely up there with Dark Ages and Adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Berg
msg tools
I played two games yesterday with my friend; one with the basic intro and one with randomly selected cards. Both games had castles. The second game I had a pretty good play where I used charm and $8 to gain province, sprawling castle and a duchy all in the same turn. I got destroyed both games since while I was trying to piece the new cards together and experiment, my friend was abusing big money.

I'm not so sure about the Temple card in terms of power level but it didn't work well in the game I bought it in.

I found out that the Wedding event makes for an extra opening option (I always wondered why the cost for it was so weird)

The cards are somewhat difficult to put together but I've already noticed some neat combinations playing with cards just from Empires. I'd give it a 9/10 in terms of gameplay so far but I'll keep the rating a 10 on here because I haven't explored the game enough yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tekingon wrote:
I played two games yesterday with my friend; one with the basic intro and one with randomly selected cards. Both games had castles. The second game I had a pretty good play where I used charm and $8 to gain province, sprawling castle and a duchy all in the same turn. I got destroyed both games since while I was trying to piece the new cards together and experiment, my friend was abusing big money.

That happens when I play my grandma all the time. Just as my 5-province megaturn engine is up I notice she's already grabbed 4 provinces and a duchy with smithy BM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife and i also played the two new intro games. we had a slightly different experience than you did. the second game was very interesting; we both went for catapults early and that definitely slowed the game down. my grabbed a capital and used it to great effect. i generated some good points from the groundskeeper and from the arena as i bought several terminals early. enchantress didn't turn out to be as good as i thought it might be but it was an interesting card. i did get the catapult / rocks combo one time, that was pretty fun. in the end it was a close game that my wife won on the strength of capital.

that said our first intro game (the basic one) wasn't very interesting at all. Sacrifice is so good and so fast that it was hard to see another strategy working out in two player. we both comobo'd sacrifice to forum to legionary. i did this more quickly and won going away. i think sacrifice might have replaced bishop as my new favorite card.

i'm certainly enjoying the game I just find it interesting that we had such difference experiences with the intro game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Evans
United States
Beaver
PA
flag msg tools
Played a 4 player game at Origins. I liked it a lot, which is good news because it was sitting delivered at my apartment when I got home.

I played some big money/debt thing with Fortunes and Capitals. It made me feel like I was running some Ponzi scheme or something, haha. I won a majority of Provinces but lost due to the various victory point tokens available on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.