Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
78 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best Premium, Fully-Made Gaming Table (GeekChic, BoardGameTables, etc.)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've perused lots of threads on the topic of gaming tables but nearly all of them seem focused on the best value/low-cost options or building your own. If there's a thread comparing all the premium gaming tables apologies if I've missed it. :)

But I'm in the market for a top-notch gaming table. Maybe I'm unique in this way, but I have zero desire to make my own (my handymanship extends only as far as changing reachable light bulbs) and don't really want to work for months with a non-game tablemaker on a super-custom design. With that in mind, the premium gaming-table segment looks like it's right up my alley. Geek Chic are the big name in the field, though it looks like they're heavily delayed (seems that you can just put a deposit down at this point to get in line). BoardGameTables are running a KS and seem to have pretty nice minimalist designs with cool features, if not quite as ornate and feature-packed as GC (nor as expensive).

Anyone who's looked into it have any opinions on the above, or other providers? I'm really most focused on just getting the best 4-8p gaming table I can find that can hopefully be in my house within the next year and it's quite hard to find reviews/impressions of the big companies besides "WOW look how cool this table is!" puff pieces or people just complaining about price.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my geek chic and the cup holders to me are essential if you plan on any drinks being near your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
I love my geek chic and the cup holders to me are essential if you plan on any drinks being near your game.

I also love my Geek Chic table, I have the 3'10" x 6'9" walnut Emissary at bar height (36"). Roomy, comfy, gorgeous... Total cost with various add-ons, personal delivery and set-up was nearly $5,800 though, so it's a little bit pricey. (but on the low-end for Geek Chic tables, I think) And it took about 15 months from order date to delivery date, so be mindful of that.

I have since installed Kallax shelving in that room, with several drawer inserts for storage, so I was able to cut the table cost a bit. Shallower vault area, no drawers, no need for fancy player desks or GM screens, etc. (The Vizier mentioned above flip-down desks for all players, multiple drawers, etc, and has a price tag to match)

I recently saw a Kickstarter for a mass-produced table, I think it was called "the Duchess" and it had most of a month left on the site, so maybe look at that? I think it was about $800, fully loaded, and included a mousepad-like playing surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inkey jones
msg tools
Cup holders are an awful idea - shouldn't we be trying to stop people drinking anywhere near the game/components

I bought two massive [super cheap tables] - so I can play big games [pitch car with many expansions]

Then I just have a really good dining table that fits small games [10 players at a push, 8 players and less easily]

I really wanted a fold away table for 4 players, mostly for crokinole - as playing that 4 player gives a massive advantage to one team if its a retangalur table. I thought a nice bridge [card game] table - but never worked out dimensions or followed through

If there was an awesome game table [without drinks holders] I would maybe buy another one... but I think I need tables to fold up now as I beginging to run out of space

Nice thread btw, going to check out the KS table now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly do you consider "top-notch"? Is that term to reflect the quality, cost or features of the table?

The Duchess on KS right now looks like my dream come true - it has the basics without a lot of bells and whistles for a very approachable price. But I get the impression that price is not necessarily the driving factor in your decision making here.

Perhaps, if you have not already (no assumptions being made here), do some research on wood types and all that to make sure you know what you want in terms of materials and go from there.

I presume what you're looking for here is really more of an assessment of build quality from the various companies? That I can't help you with, but I wish you luck. Let us know what you decide.

As an aside (not to derail the original thread), does anyone know anything about rubberwood? Hardness, wear-resistance, that sort of thing? I'm looking seriously at the Duchess on KS to do triple duty as game table, dining table and (perhaps most importantly) table at which young children may play with legos and other assorted toys. Is rubberwood hard enough to resist dents and dings from kids playing with sharp-cornered hard plastic goodness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good question -- by "top notch" I really mean largely irrespective of price the best table. But excluding tables you could get custom made at a tablemaker. So basically best available for minimal effort. :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
inkD wrote:
shouldn't we be trying to stop people drinking anywhere near the game/components

Good luck with that--instead, you'll have people constantly leaving the table in order to take a drink. If they even agree to that in the first place, that is; I know a lot of people who would find a house rule like that completely ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a review on the Dice Tower recently for a gaming table from Rathskellers. It seems comparable to Geek Chic, but it's made in Greece, so shipping is $$$. They have some crazy features (glowing lights etc.) if money is no object.

Anyway, just for completeness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwSzZU_FIc

https://www.rathskellers.com/

The other one I know of is: https://www.boardgametables.com/

These are the same people doing the kickstarter mentioned above, but in addition they do made-to-order tables in ~60 days. I don't think they look as nice or as customizable as Geek Chic and Rathskellers, but they are more affordable and can actually arrive in a reasonable time.

I have a drop-ship table from Geek Chic that I got last year. It is just under 4'x4' and doesn't have all the features of their made to order tables, but it is working for me for now (and was a lot less expensive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capnginger wrote:
inkD wrote:
shouldn't we be trying to stop people drinking anywhere near the game/components

Good luck with that--instead, you'll have people constantly leaving the table in order to take a drink. If they even agree to that in the first place, that is; I know a lot of people who would find a house rule like that completely ridiculous.

Exactly. And I would much rather have a cup in a holder below the table surface, off to the side, than have it ON the table where it can be bumped by a stray elbow!

Even IF you manage to bump a cup hard enough within a cup holder to make it spill over (difficult but technically possible if it's very full, I guess) the contents would only land on the floor, NOT my game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deadpool
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mb
As mentioned above you are between Rathskellers and Geekchic.

Tom Vasel made a short review that you can watch and compare.

If you head over their news section they are running a Limited Promotion with 5% discount if you order from a Country or State that they haven't shipped a table yet so maybe you can take advantage of it.

I really like the extras like LEDs and Bluetooth music they offer, plus the railing is from aluminum which i find a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deadpool
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mb
I think all makers provide a plexiglass with no extra cost? If so this wouldn't eliminate the potential mayhem from spilling drinks while playing ? (if you cover the game board and essentials with it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be insane to spend 3000 dollars on a gaming table, even if they have "cupholders" these tables are just tables with overal pretty cheap material... I have been looking at all kinds of materials to get a gaming table made and using premium stuff all around I never get any higher than 700 - 800 euros in materials (this is obviously without assembly), this includes a fancy steel frame which is much sturdier and looks a hell of a lot cooler than these bland and often faux-classic tables I see everywhere.

Of course who am I to tell you how to spend (or waste) your money .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peachpie wrote:

The Duchess on KS has a feeling of too good to be true. And the claimed amount pledged so far has a feeling of total bullshit.

If it's not BS and you're right about it being too good to be true, the screaming will be epic.

I'm tempted myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peachpie wrote:

The Duchess on KS has a feeling of too good to be true. And the claimed amount pledged so far has a feeling of total bullshit.

The company doing it is legit and has been manufacturing game tables in their shop for several years.

To me, the risk factor is that they are trying to mass-manufacture in China. It's the only way to make it for that kind of price, but it means you really can't be sure what quality you will be getting until you get it.

But I don't think there's anything scammy about it. I think the pledges are legit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deadpool
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mb
nadurgin wrote:
peachpie wrote:

The company doing it is legit and has been manufacturing game tables in their shop for several years.

To me, the risk factor is that they are trying to mass-manufacture in China. It's the only way to make it for that kind of price, but it means you really can't be sure what quality you will be getting until you get it.

But I don't think there's anything scammy about it. I think the pledges are legit.

China? I've read in their kickstarter comments that they are working with a factory in the US to manufacture the tables, are you sure about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
You must be insane to spend 3000 dollars on a gaming table, even if they have "cupholders" these tables are just tables with overal pretty cheap material... I have been looking at all kinds of materials to get a gaming table made and using premium stuff all around I never get any higher than 700 - 800 euros in materials (this is obviously without assembly), this includes a fancy steel frame which is much sturdier and looks a hell of a lot cooler than these bland and often faux-classic tables I see everywhere.

That's not really a good argument...that's 900 USD in material then you will need several days full time work and a fully equipped shop to make the table. Few people have that available and less than that have the skills to build a table (I'm ok at wood working and you wont see me going out and buying a bunch of walnut to make a table).

This of course assumes a $3000 gaming table is the same quality as the $3000 table I'd buy from a local wood worker. But the companies list solid wood ect so I'll make the assumption they aren't lying.

$500-$600 table? that I'll just make, but I have access to a full shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are looking at getting a GeekChic table. There's the model we're likely to get, and then there's the 'if we win the lottery' model.

We actually stumbled across an Emissary 'in the wild' the other day, at a game store in my parents' town. The owner has had the table 2 years, and loves it. It's held up great. His only complaint is that it's at the store because it doesn't fit in his house.

About a year and a half ago, my husband and I visited the GeekChic HQ with my father-in-law (FIL). FIL was a logger until forced into retirement, and is a woodworker (doesn't do large projects quite this intricate though). While my husband and I were shown tables in the finishing stages, FIL got to walk around the production floor with the company owner. Afterward, FIL said "I don't know what they're charging for those tables, but it's worth it." When we told him the price range, he said that sounded about right. Him being very impressed with their work pretty much cemented our decision to go with GeekChic when we get a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
You must be insane to spend 3000 dollars on a gaming table, even if they have "cupholders" ...

I'd just like to say that I didn't buy the table because of the cupholders... I bought the cupholders because of the table!

It's a darn fine double-duty table (gaming and dining), made from high quality materials, solid wood, with leaves the way I wanted them, a fabric inset and lid in the color I wanted, blah blah options blah, etc.

While I do have some skills with building things in a shop, I don't have the tools, time, or space right now to build such a table on my own. So I accepted that a large part of the cost would be paying for their expertise and labor, plus personal delivery via moving van all the way from Oregon to Washington, D.C., as well as in-home assembly and set-up by the drivers.

Some folks need this as an option, is what I'm saying, while others are skilled enough and have already invested enough $$ into tools and workshop space that they can do it themselves. Awesome for them, and I love watching the YouTube videos some of them create!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scissorhands wrote:
nadurgin wrote:
peachpie wrote:

China? I've read in their kickstarter comments that they are working with a factory in the US to manufacture the tables, are you sure about that?

I saw this in the comments on the Kickstarter page:

Quote:
Creator Chad DeShon 4 days ago

I want to clarify some of the things Steve Burrows said.

I appreciate the positive comments. I am going to make sure that the customer service and commitment to giving gamers good stuff and value for their money never changes.

But The Duchess being made being made in different facilities and with different techniques than the table Steve bought (which we are going to start calling The Queen Line). Queen Line tables are built one at a time, by hand, by wood workers who have years of experience making high end furniture. The Duchess will be factory produced in China, ready-to-assemble furniture.

The Duchess will look good and provide many features gamers are looking for. But I don't want you to think that you are getting the works of art that you see in the pictures on our website.

I just want to make sure there isn't any confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deadpool
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mb
amish_rabbi wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

That's not really a good argument...that's 900 USD in material then you will need several days full time work and a fully equipped shop to make the table. Few people have that available and less than that have the skills to build a table (I'm ok at wood working and you wont see me going out and buying a bunch of walnut to make a table).

This of course assumes a $3000 gaming table is the same quality as the $3000 table I'd buy from a local wood worker. But the companies list solid wood ect so I'll make the assumption they aren't lying.

$500-$600 table? that I'll just make, but I have access to a full shop.

Solid points there.

All those tools required, different machinery, knives for the machines, workforce, income taxes. I think that those tables are priced fairly.

I don't think that an amateur can make such a table in less than a month full time if working alone and without the tools.

Just from curiosity after the first comment i researched IKEA for the answer. Their "top-of-the-line" simple table costs about 700 euros, http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20293766/ mass produced and with low tier materials . Now compared with the tables that companies such Rathskellers and Geekchic make, i can justify their price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Strickling
United States
Irving
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from Game On tables (The Valhalla) and absolutely love it. It looks great, I love playing on it, and all the seats are super comfortable. I have 6 drawers and 6 cupholders on it and everything gets a lot of use. My only complaint is there was no felt insert so a made a quick one myself with micro-velvet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Valonis
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say anything about other vendors, but I am extremely happy with my Geek Chic table.
The initial shopping experience was great. They interviewed me about my games and gaming group, and eventually talked me down to a lower-cost model than what I was originally looking at, because they felt it would suit my needs better.
The delivery and setup experience was great. Due to traffic problems, they arrived at a later hour than expected, but kept me informed and worked LATE into the night to make sure everything was perfect.
The gaming experience continues to be great. Everyone who's played on it has had nothing but compliments.
The wait from initial spec-out to delivery was... well... not great. I knew what I was getting into, but man did time drag on. That's in the past now, and my only regret is not ordering sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if the KS for The Duchess is being discussed elsewhere. But I'm looking for people in MI to split a 4-Pack for this.

Has anyone seen another post with such details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan8765309 wrote:
Let me know if the KS for The Duchess is being discussed elsewhere. But I'm looking for people in MI to split a 4-Pack for this.

Has anyone seen another post with such details?

There's a thread on the table (but not your topic) here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1590829/duchess-gaming-tabl...

you might try the regional forums, as here: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/83/boardgamegeek/midwest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Zelany
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Nofunatalll wrote:
You must be insane to spend 3000 dollars on a gaming table, even if they have "cupholders" these tables are just tables with overal pretty cheap material...

Let me tell you from the field of freelance that $3000 is insane to folks like you and me, but it's just afternoon chump change for others.

It's a crazy world out there. Reminds me of Daniel Gilbert's Ted talk on perspective value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.