Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Mecoides
Australia
St Kilda
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game last night for the first time, and on the whole I thought it was very enjoyable, with lots of potential. Although we came across a hitch when I worked soley on improving my ranged units so, as the human player, I ended up with quite a good number of priests with healing.

Now my opponent, who was playing undead, seemed to be doing quite well. That is to say that he began the game mining and resourcing quite a bit, and could finance huge spend steps each turn, meaning that he would build one of each building or upgrade each unit type. This seemed really great, but in the end he had a few of each unit in his army so when he attacked me, I could easy hold him off by reducing a casulty each time he was attacking, and since he would only get 2 or three rolls each phase, he found this really crippling. In one case he attacked my worked with two Dragons and Two fully upgraded melee units. I had only a priest (fully upgraded melee) in the flank. So i played call to arms and reduced his army with only my newly converted melee unit and one ranged. He even managed to raise one or two skeletons but his diversity seemed to work against him.

To make matters worse, he had fully upgraded necromancers (ranged) and says that their ability is practically useless by comparison, because they have only a one in six chance of producing a skeleton, while I can save up to three units every round of combat.

Now he says that the undead are really weak, and healing is way too good. Can anybody help me out here. Is the game ok, or are are the races indeed really that unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Is healing 'broken' ?
Mecoides (#22637),

This has been a topic of discussion in the yahoo group dedicated to Warcraft and after running some simulations even the designer agrees that Healing, as written, is much too powerful.

There is an ongoing discussion on what the eventual official fix to it will be but it will likely involve limitations on the Heal power. The Undead power is fine - keep in mind that the 1 in 6 chance is for EVERY unit in the battle as long as a Necromancer is involved. If you have 9 units in the battle that's 9 chances to roll a 1 to gain an additional unit.

There is also some discussion on the Undead cards being somewhat less useful (particularly Summon Building) than cards of other races - and also discussion of the "rich get richer" aspect of these cards being made available to the victors in combat.

I suggest you check out the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/warcraft_boardgame if you'd like to contribute your input.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mecoides (#22637),

Admittedly, I have only played one game so far, but I beleive that the Healing power is too powerful as written in the rules. I beleive the designer is looking at changing the rule to better balance this power in comparison to the other races.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Heal is an unbalanced ability too.
In substitution of the original Heal rule I apply this one: 'HEAL: If you have one or more units with this ability participating in the battle, reduce your casualties by 1 for every 1 rolled by the opponent in combat (Raise Dead ability is not denied)'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm...

I've changed my mind about the Heal Ability. Now I use this variant 'HEAL: When removing casualties at the end of a phase if you have one or more units with this ability participating in the battle, roll a die: reduce your casualties by 1 if you roll 3 or less'.

I think is better then previous.

However I think Slow Poison is a little too strong too (but I must test again)...

What are your opinion, friends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
RaistlinMajere (#23043),

The official ruling is in from Kevin Wilson and FFG on the Heal fix:

-----------------
Kevin Wilson from the Warcraft Yahoo group:

Heal: If you have one or more units with this ability participating in the battle, then when your opponent is rolling for attacks, each die showing a 1 (not including modifiers) inflicts 1 less casualty than it normally would (i.e. 0 casualties normally, or 1 casualty with the area attack ability). Each 1 rolled still counts as a hit, and this ability does not negate any other effects of the 1 (such as triggering raise dead, etc.)
-----------------

This certainly brings Heal in line with other abilities like Raise Dead. I think the wording here is very important, as 1s still count as hits but often don't do casualties - this allows cards like the Moon Glaive to retain their utility in the face of Healing units.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowan
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#22639),

Looks like they've decided on this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/warcraft_boardgame/message/200.

The rule will be rewritten as follows:

Heal: If you have one or more units with this ability participating in the battle, then when your opponent is rolling for attacks, each die showing a 1 (not including modifiers) inflicts 1 less casualty than it normally would (i.e. 0 casualties normally, or 1 casualty with the area attack ability). Each 1 rolled still counts as a hit, and this ability does not negate any other effects of the 1 (such as triggering raise dead, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.