United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some exploration events have conditions like:
Explore 3 and spend 1 coin: (get good stuff), Explore 6 and spend 2 coins: (get better stuff).

When do you have to decide to spend the coins? Do you have to decide before rolling, or can you roll first, see what level of success you have achieved, and then decide whether to spend the coins?

Note that there is (at least) one event that specifically tells you to spend the coins as part of making the choice about which possible action to take, so logically the events that are worded differently are meant to be played differently. For whatever logic means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to choose which option you are trying for before you roll.
I don't think you would lose any coins if you fail to get the necessary explore number, it would just be a failed exploration (unless the paragraph had a specific consequence for failing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
I don't think you would lose any coins if you fail to get the necessary explore number, it would just be a failed exploration (unless the paragraph had a specific consequence for failing).

I agree with this. If you don't make the roll, you didn't find the encounter. If you didn't find the encounter, there's no need to spend the coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
You have to choose which option you are trying for before you roll.

Obviously, you have to choose which action to take, but these are multiple results within the same action. Or they could even be a single result on an action, which requires spending a coin.

For some I've seen, it would thematically make sense to spend the coin first, for others it would not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kynan Stuttard
Australia
Narre Warren South
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think of it like this.
You have an encounter with someone that is offering a Trade..

Your options are to wave and walk by (Keep Exploring)
Try to negotiate a trade (Explore with cost 1, Explore with cost 2)

Then your dice are your negotiation skills.... depending on what you roll (or how well you negotiate) he offers you something cheap, or something expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered a result today where I was given the option to make an offering of 0, 1 or 2 coins, and each option was a separate choice with higher lantern requirements than the previous (rather than a single choice with progressively higher lantern amounts listed). Based on the description I had the impression that the coins were being offered in a way that would result in the coins being lost even if I did not get the correct number of lanterns. In the end I went for the 1 coin option as I could not risk loosing two coins in the more difficult exploration option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say that you have to pay the coins in order to chose that option. After that you'll see if you can manage to get a success or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kynan Stuttard
Australia
Narre Warren South
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the text of the paragraph in question.
If it says
"Move on and look further in the Cave" Explore 3

"Try and Trade with the Man" Explore 2 spend 1 coin[reward a] Explore 5 spend 2 coins[reward b]

Then I would say, you choose which path/option you want between moving on or trading, then roll your dice to see how well you traded.. did you have to spend 1 on something, or did you talk him into something better for a better reward, but cost you more.

You don't so much choose your explore options if they are in the same line/adventure option, the dice do that, you choose if you move on or stay and trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcaneArchery wrote:
I encountered a result today where I was given the option to make an offering of 0, 1 or 2 coins, and each option was a separate choice with higher lantern requirements than the previous (rather than a single choice with progressively higher lantern amounts listed). Based on the description I had the impression that the coins were being offered in a way that would result in the coins being lost even if I did not get the correct number of lanterns. In the end I went for the 1 coin option as I could not risk loosing two coins in the more difficult exploration option.

Pretty sure this is the same encounter that we hit which caused us to rethink coins. Assuming it is (very very mild spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The mechanical bird

I think this encounter clearly has you spend the coin before rolling, which suggested to us that the other encounters, phrased differently, had you spend the coins after rolling.

That seems to be the general consensus here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
ArcaneArchery wrote:

Pretty sure this is the same encounter that we hit which caused us to rethink coins. Assuming it is (very very mild spoiler)
The mechanical bird

I think this encounter clearly has you spend the coin before rolling, which suggested to us that the other encounters, phrased differently, had you spend the coins after rolling.

Yes, that is the encounter that I was referring to. It seems to be an exception to all of the other encounters that require coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcaneArchery wrote:
Yes, that is the encounter that I was referring to. It seems to be an exception to all of the other encounters that require coins.

I think there is another one that is outside the norm, although it technically doesn't require coins. There is an encounter where you can pay a coin to add two successes to your outcome. If I remember correctly, you are negotiating with the fishfolk. I think, thematically, the money is supposed to be a bribe. Regardless, it is similarly not clear if you can roll then pay or if you have to pay before rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I can see it either way. The roll-before-paying version would be conducting negotiations as normal, but then if things aren't quite gelling, you can offer the bribe as a kicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
ArcaneArchery wrote:

The mechanical bird

I disagree.

The counter I'm reading says "explore 2 and spend a coin OR explore 5. If I'm hoping for 5 explores but only get two. If I don't have the coin to spend on that option, I fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rampantdragon wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
ArcaneArchery wrote:

The mechanical bird

I disagree.

The counter I'm reading says "explore 2 and spend a coin OR explore 5. If I'm hoping for 5 explores but only get two. If I don't have the coin to spend on that option, I fail.

I'm not sure which part you are disagreeing with.

I think our consensus has been that in the encounter you describe, you would roll, and then if you got at least 2 explores you could choose to spend the coin to succeed at that option.
The options would be:

Roll 0-1 explores: Fail, do not need to spend a coin.

Roll 2-4 explores: Could spend a coin to get the 2 explore result. If you did not want to or could not spend the coin, you fail.

Roll 5+ explores: Take the 5 explore result without spending a coin. Presumably you could also choose to spend a coin for the 2 explore result, or even to fail entirely, but that would be very silly to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.