23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Which OLGS packs the best and is the most reliable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I recently opened parcels sent from CSi, MM, CH, Noble Knight and Fun again. Of these Funagain was the winner, the games all came intact and had popcorn pellets all around with cardboard reinforcements on the edges. I missed one game but they are sending it immediately.

Miniature Market was the worst but not saying it was horrible. The parcel boxes sagged and looked worn. Inside only a green bubble pack on the perimeter was used. I had 3 damaged games as a result ( or maybe they were pre-damaged no idea). TO their credit they immediately gave me a discount on the damaged games though I still wished I had them intact. No games were missing as they had a very effective packing list checking system.

Noble Knight packed really well but went to the extreme of wrapping all the games multiple times with paper or surrounded the games with additional bubble pack. I think they do this because a lot of their games are OOP or rare. I'd say they finished a close second if not first.

Cardhaus was ok, but they missed including 3 games which peeved me off. They seem to do that during sales.

CSI was ok no missing games or damage. They use popcorn pellets.

I pick up my games at a mail receiving place and it is a pain to find out a game or two is missing and now out of stock. It's rare but it does happen more often during frantic sale days.

Some Canadian OLGS just refuse to send as they have sold to in store customers when it was listed in stock overnight.

My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have got a lot of packages from MM with no damage. I had one damaged package from CSI, and they replaced the damaged game. In the end it all comes down to who handles your games in route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
take your pick as you are going to get a "xyz is the best" for all of them... and a "xyz sucks" for all of them from others

imho ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received damaged packages from MM and one damaged game from Cardhaus. So far I haven't received anything damaged from CSI or Time Well Spent (while Dave owned it). TWS was my favorite, partly because of the selection of games Dave had to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Cardhaus was ok, but they missed including 3 games which peeved me off. They seem to do that during sales.

They are honestly worst with preorders. I would have to look at my orders, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have an issue with an order that contained a preorder item 50% of the time.

MM used to be known for terrible packaging but seem to have gotten better. I haven't ordered recently so I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you declare Funagain the winner when they didn't include one of the games you ordered? Do you not count putting all of the items in the box part of packing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon is the big loser for me. I'll never order anything larger than a small-box game from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon is definitely the worst. I mean, I love Amazon in general, but not so much for board games. I think 10-15% of board games I order from them come damaged. It took me ordering Zombicode: BP 3 times before I got one that didn't look like it was kicked by a mule. Luckily it's easy to exchange items with Amazon.

TableTopNow has been pretty good with packaging, haven't had any damage in the 2 orders I've placed.

Miniature Market is also solid. Never had a damaged game in quite a few orders.

CSI is by far the best packing though. Never had any damage in many orders, and with a huge packing peanuts to games ratio, I feel the most confident with ordering from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Miniature Market is my store of choice and aside from Amazon ocassionally, they are the only (F)OLGS that I use. Packaging has always been great for me!

As long as MM supports the hobby, I will support them!

Fanboy? Yes.
Employee? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Funagain missed a very small expansion from Neuroshima Hex, but is going to send it again to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the above stores I've only used MM, and I mostly order compact card packs which take a beating. I usually get small orders shipped in some nice boxes which double as card boxes. The one time I ordered something with a lot of air in it there was no maltreatment.

The other stores I order a lot from are Book Depository and Games Lore. BD tend to ship games/expansions in cardboard wrapping of the type used for books, which could lead to problems, or bubblewrap envelopes if it's small enough (expansion decks).

Games Lore have a mixed bag of boxes, it seems. Lots of air, but they usually have air-filled padding if it's large enough. The past two orders were of a type for which I don't envy the packer's job. Packing peanuts, flimsy products of irregular shape, lots of air unavoidable. One came here in perfect shape, the other had a small hole, no doubt caused by the postman.

My nearest local online store ships EVERYTHING in the same few box sizes (standard sizes for local mail makes everything messy), so they're filled with airbags every time. Never an issue with things rattling about when I order evenly shaped things though. I hated it when they used peanuts, because I ended up with a shopping bag's worth of those for a few tiny game boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no clear winners or losers, as the game changes with every shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what I'm looking for, I roam about Troll & Toad, Noble Knight, Miniature Market, Coolstuffinc, StrikeZoneOnline and a few FLGS here in town. Mileage on packing has varied from wow to yikes but overall positive, but YMWV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I recently opened parcels sent from CSi, MM, CH, Noble Knight and Fun again. Of these Funagain was the winner, the games all came intact and had popcorn pellets all around with cardboard reinforcements on the edges. I missed one game but they are sending it immediately.

Miniature Market was the worst but not saying it was horrible. The parcel boxes sagged and looked worn. Inside only a green bubble pack on the perimeter was used. I had 3 damaged games as a result ( or maybe they were pre-damaged no idea). TO their credit they immediately gave me a discount on the damaged games though I still wished I had them intact. No games were missing as they had a very effective packing list checking system.

Noble Knight packed really well but went to the extreme of wrapping all the games multiple times with paper or surrounded the games with additional bubble pack. I think they do this because a lot of their games are OOP or rare. I'd say they finished a close second if not first.

CSI was ok no missing games or damage. They use popcorn pellets.

I pick up my games at a mail receiving place and it is a pain to find out a game or two is missing and now out of stock. It's rare but it does happen more often during frantic sale days.

Some Canadian OLGS just refuse to send as they have sold to in store customers when it was listed in stock overnight.

My 2 cents.

Funagain has ALWAYS been the worst of all of them. They do a horrible job packing the games, they have been the only one to send me the wrong thing, and they have HORRIBLE customer service. The only reason I will ever buy from them again is they are the only place that gets some of the small print-run imports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect MM are watching this thread

My last two shipments have grown. First I got a solid and larger than usual package for some tokens and cards. Then today I got the largest box I've ever seen from them:

(Note the pack of sleeves in the upper left for scale.)

It had enough padding:

Enough for a small town, that is.

All this for something that could theoretically have fit in my mailbox:

They took their time securing this. All this for such a cheap order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I've been very impressed by Cardhaus in my experience so far (only started buying from OLGS this month)

all my packages from them have shipped no later than the next business day and always are swimming in packing peanuts

Miniature Market just shipped my first order from them (took ~3 business days) and provided no tracking but hopefully it'll at least be packed well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Miniature Market - Online Gaming Superstore - Miniaturemarket.com
badge
mbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:
I have to say I've been very impressed by Cardhaus in my experience so far (only started buying from OLGS this month)

all my packages from them have shipped no later than the next business day and always are swimming in packing peanuts

Miniature Market just shipped my first order from them (took ~3 business days) and provided no tracking but hopefully it'll at least be packed well

Colin, I would like to clarify something. Saturday and Sunday are not considered business days. You placed your order on a Friday morning and it shipped out today. Tracking information is uploaded the following morning so tomorrow morning you will receive your tracking info.

Had you placed your order on Thursday it would've shipped out on Friday. We strive for a 24 hour turn around time and tracking is always sent out the following morning.

Also, we recently switched to a more dense (and expensive) form of air pack material which should greatly reduce the chance of damage in transit.

Steve @ Miniature Market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
MM has always been the best for me!

They have always packaged well, shipped fast, and I have had tracking every time.

I should add, they also have the best customer service as I am sure I give them plenty of headaches with my held orders and shuffling them around. They have been nothing but professional and courteous every time I have emailed them or called them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:
tracking is always sent out the following morning.

I know with my last order I never received any tracking info either. The packages arrived on the exact day I expected based on previous orders but I never got any tracking info.

The order was actually several on hold orders combined into one shipment. I assume that scenario requires them to manually supply the tracking info, rather then something automated in their system. So it was probably just overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
IvanGrimm wrote:
miniaturemarket wrote:
tracking is always sent out the following morning.

I know with my last order I never received any tracking info either. The packages arrived on the exact day I expected based on previous orders but I never got any tracking info.

The order was actually several on hold orders combined into one shipment. I assume that scenario requires them to manually supply the tracking info, rather then something automated in their system. So it was probably just overlooked.

Right when we launched the mobile website there were a lot of problems and one of them was tracking numbers not sending. We have since corrected that issue. There are a few more problems left we are working on but should have them wrapped up in a week or two.

Steve @ Miniature Market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:

Colin, I would like to clarify something. Saturday and Sunday are not considered business days. You placed your order on a Friday morning and it shipped out today. Tracking information is uploaded the following morning so tomorrow morning you will receive your tracking info.

Had you placed your order on Thursday it would've shipped out on Friday. We strive for a 24 hour turn around time and tracking is always sent out the following morning.

Also, we recently switched to a more dense (and expensive) form of air pack material which should greatly reduce the chance of damage in transit.

Steve @ Miniature Market

Yeah before slamming a company about shipping delays at least be honest about it or at least learn what a business day is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
miniaturemarket wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:

Steve @ Miniature Market

Yeah before slamming a company about shipping delays at least be honest about it or at least learn what a business day is.

Apologies, I had placed some other online orders the previous night (not at MM) and got mixed up. I did place the order through MM right around 9am eastern on Friday. I look forward to the package arriving later this week and seeing how the packaging is.

the Cardhaus packages were delivered yesterday (UPS Ground is faster than FedEx Smartpost after all which I completely understand) and I'm starting to just throw away the packing peanuts due to the sheer amount they ship

edit: also I didn't mean to come across as badmouthing MM, I'm still new to buying board games so I really only have prior purchasing off major retailers to compare to, I fully appreciate taking 1-2 business days to properly package things and get them out so if the package comes as well packed as the other impressions in this thread make it sound like I have no problem with the process at all

was just giving my initial impressions is all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:
miniaturemarket wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:

Steve @ Miniature Market

Apologies, I had placed some other online orders the previous night (not at MM) and got mixed up. I did place the order through MM right around 9am eastern on Friday. I look forward to the package arriving later this week and seeing how the packaging is.

the Cardhaus packages were delivered yesterday (UPS Ground is faster than FedEx Smartpost after all which I completely understand) and I'm starting to just throw away the packing peanuts due to the sheer amount they ship

edit: also I didn't mean to come across as badmouthing MM, I'm still new to buying board games so I really only have prior purchasing off major retailers to compare to, I fully appreciate taking 1-2 business days to properly package things and get them out so if the package comes as well packed as the other impressions in this thread make it sound like I have no problem with the process at all

was just giving my initial impressions is all

All of the big OLGs are reliable. MM's new packing sound promising. I will wait and see how it is. In the past I prefer CSI or Cardhaus' packing peanuts. The main thing I dislike about MM is using smartpost. It adds at least 2 days ship time. All the CSI and Cardhaus orders I do come normal ground delivery so I get my packages in 2 days.

MM has some of the better sales these days though. However they sell so much there is usually a shipping delay. It is worth the inconvenience though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.