War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd or Anniversary edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside From the quite obvious price difference which makes the Anniversary Edition quite hard to get - would you recommend it for any reason over the standard edition one? The difference is, if I am not mistaken
- the minis are all painted
- the board is (only slightly) bigger
- the box comes with better solutions for storage capacity

Am I missing something? What is the issue with expansion compatibility and availability of promotional content; sleeves and other components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess "slight" is in the eye of the beholder, but the board is 44 percent bigger (10,080 vs. 7,000 sq. cm). There are also the hardcover books, and I seem to remember something about dice in custom colors.

The cards will all be the same, so there's no concern with compatibility.

If you're just coming to the game, I certainly understand not wanting to go in for the AR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Overwood wrote:
I guess "slight" is in the eye of the beholder, but the board is 44 percent bigger (10,080 vs. 7,000 sq. cm). There are also the hardcover books, and I seem to remember something about dice in custom colors.

The cards will all be the same, so there's no concern with compatibility.

If you're just coming to the game, I certainly understand not wanting to go in for the AR.

I am and my concern is not due to being a newbie but having to wait for another 10 years for something like this again.

P. S. So nothing extra is included; no promo cards, minis or whatever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Aside From the quite obvious price difference which makes the Anniversary Edition quite hard to get - would you recommend it for any reason over the standard edition one? The difference is, if I am not mistaken

Am I missing something? What is the issue with expansion compatibility and availability of promotional content; sleeves and other components?

The rulebook is hardcover as well as the "Strategy Guide".

And the "Strategy Guide" is not included in the Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2nd edition is already nicely painted, but I'm getting the AE for the board. Some of the 2e areas just aren't big enough to hold any amount of units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

My feeling on this: Purchasing the AE is a no-brainer, as long as you have the disposable income or savings to purchase it.

Why? - It is extremely likely that you will be able to sell it 18+ months from now and recover all you money, an perhaps even make a little.

There is no way that will happen with the 2nd Edition. The 2nd Edition is an "evergreen" game that will always be in print. Games in that category become commodities. Used copies sell less than new.

If we take the Collector's edition as an example - it performed better as an investment that nearly any stock you could buy. The original purchase price was, $495 list. Ares pre-sold it through normal distribution channels, so you could get it from a discount retailer (perorder) for as low as $330 per copy.

within 18 months the average SALE price (not asking price) had exploded to $1,200.

That is a kick-ass return (appx 400% in 18 months).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if the AE will triple or quadruple your money, but you also won't need to sell 20 or 30, just 1, so as long as there is one person out there who feels that they missed out, there a very good chance on at least doubling up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Approximately 400% on an old (opened up, punched out) copy?

P. S. So nobody has got any info at all regarding any changes (specific) that the AE brings (in terms of new content, changed rules, borders, etc...)?

senorcoo wrote:
My 2nd edition is already nicely painted, but I'm getting the AE for the board. Some of the 2e areas just aren't big enough to hold any amount of units.

Did you paint yourself? I have 0 experience do and have considered doing so, but I've read the costs would be literally tremendous (cheaper to buy it than buy all the colors and necessary equipment and dedicate all the work to it). Plus, if you make an error...it's permanent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

P. S. So nobody has got any info at all regarding any changes (specific) that the AE brings (in terms of new content, changed rules, borders, etc...)?

No - that would be for an unopened copy. But again, I would not guarantee that kind of return, in fact I would be surprised if the AE went that high. Given the higher purchase price - I don't expect the potential return to be as high.

The Game Market has changed. The WoTR-CE was one of the very first "collector's editions" to come out for a modern board game. It was more unique then that it is now. Also, the market for games has exploded and there is a lot more competition.

You also need to think about how many people will want a "deluxe" version of WoTR. Keep in mind that over 250,000 copies of the second edition have been sold and there are already 2,000 Collector's Editions out there. Now, with the AE, there will be 4,000 "deluxe versions".

So, I would not expect 400%, but as I said above - it is a good bet that you will get your money back if you change your mind and sell it - even as a gently played copy.

But as always: past performance is no guarantee of of future results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

No - that would be for an unopened copy. But again, I would not guarantee that kind of return, in fact I would be surprised if the AE went that high. Given the higher purchase price - I don't expect the potential return to be as high.

The Game Market has changed. The WoTR-CE was one of the very first "collector's editions" to come out for a modern board game. It was more unique then that it is now. Also, the market for games has exploded and there is a lot more competition.

You also need to think about how many people will want a "deluxe" version of WoTR. Keep in mind that over 250,000 copies of the second edition have been sold and there are already 2,000 Collector's Editions out there. Now, with the AE, there will be 4,000 "deluxe versions".

So, I would not expect 400%, but as I said above - it is a good bet that you will get your money back if you change your mind and sell it - even as a gently played copy.

But as always: past performance is no guarantee of of future results.

And do you perhaps have any specific info on the AE changes?

I'm still undecided, especially due to the high cost. If I miss on the train, I might have to wait for e.g. another 10 years or so, probably?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no changes to gameplay with the AR and no special promos (that we know of), so you're not going to miss out on any of the actual game experience. It's just the niceness/coolness of the components.

As of this writing, Ares lists 76 available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Overwood wrote:
There are no changes to gameplay with the AR and no special promos (that we know of), so you're not going to miss out on any of the actual game experience. It's just the niceness/coolness of the components.

So, (1) board is bigger, (2) the minis are painted and (3) the strategy guide - that is all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:

If we take the Collector's edition as an example - it performed better as an investment that nearly any stock you could buy. The original purchase price was, $495 list. Ares pre-sold it through normal distribution channels, so you could get it from a discount retailer (perorder) for as low as $330 per copy.

within 18 months the average SALE price (not asking price) had exploded to $1,200.

That is a kick-ass return (appx 400% in 18 months).

Actually a little better than that. The original price was actually around $400US. It was a Nexus/FFG product, Ares didn't exist back then. Most of the first copies came direct from FFG, so in the very beginning, that was the only way to get ahold of it. There were waves after that, though. And many retailers offered it for various prices, from $350 to $600. Shipping was ridiculous though.

That said, I would never suggest to someone that they buy this game as an investment. There is little indication that the situation surrounding the CE would repeat itself with the advent of the AR. The AR certainly has moved more slowly in sales than the CE. I would attribute this to a lower demand, and the fact that they offered all the copies that they would ever print up front, instead of waves as the CE. While there are those who will purchase both, much of the market for this type of game was captured by the first CE. So now we have the regretters getting a copy, there may not be the clamoring for it that there was about the first CE. But we'll see. I doubt you'll see $2500 copies like you did with the CE.

If you buy this game, it should be to play it! It will be a lovely edition. And WotR is probably one of the most perfect 2P games you will ever run across. Also, despite the fact that the same was said of the CE, there is unlikely to ever be another edition like this. This is really the last last chance. Perhaps at the 25 yr anniversary they may consider some new edition, but that is 14 years off. I just wouldn't bank on anything like this again, to be safe.

There is nothing wrong with the 2e. The AR will not provide you anything of game play substance that the 2e will not. WotR is a fully mature game. There will never be any significant changes that I can ever foresee for the game. Even the existing expansions and promos are not necessary, nor will Warriors be. The base game of WotR will give you an exceptional experience. Some actually prefer no expansions. So you really won't be missing out.

If you do get the AR, get it because you want the immersion of it. I'm quite sure it will be worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Frank Overwood wrote:

So, (1) board is bigger, (2) the minis are painted and (3) the strategy guide - that is all?

The rulebook is hardcover, there are special coloured dice, the box is bigger.

Isn't all that enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box has storage for minis too. Let's not forget that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I won't quite be able to separate sufficient funds (due to the quite large VAT and shipping costs) until about a month later (August, perhaps).

If I only new about this just a little earlier, I would've saved up enough money. It's quite a travesty that I'll be just a couple of weeks off...

And I suppose buying it from someone else after the pre-order's gonna be almost immediately, naturally, more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would not despair. I suspect in that short time frame that inflation will not be an issue. Most people who want it have probably ordered it.

Plus, if you are only talking a month, you may still be able to get one direct sales from Ares at that time. It's not long now, 3-4 months I would guess, so it wouldn't hurt to wait and see, I think. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we see it by August, anyway. They bit off a big chunk, because Sword & Sorcery should be delivering that same time frame (September). I'd be shocked if that didn't have some impact on the delivery of the AR. (I'm in no rush, just make sure it's perfect!)

Keep the faith, brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may still have a chance in a month or so, though I would think the pace of ordering will pick up as the supply dwindles and people who have been putting off a decision get off the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chelo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bigger board (some regions will now be able to hold up to ten minis), painted minis (awesome), strategy book... It is really a must have copy. Plus, if you plan to add some sculptures of the locations, this board will hold them leaving more space in the regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Did you paint yourself? I have 0 experience do and have considered doing so, but I've read the costs would be literally tremendous (cheaper to buy it than buy all the colors and necessary equipment and dedicate all the work to it). Plus, if you make an error...it's permanent.

I did not as I was able to acquire a painted copy, which I will probably sell once my AE comes in. The paint jobs have some nicks, but it's pretty nice. Now that I'm more into painting, if I acquired an unpainted copy, I would do it myself. For me, I'd never play this without at least painted bases since I can't tell the figs apart.

Let me also add that fubar awol's strongholds at Mt. Doom are AWESOME and make the board come alive. When I do sell my 2e, those will not be included as they will be getting migrated to the AE.

And nothing in painting is permanant with enough effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.