Subject: Can I "Advertise" Games I've Brought to Play at a Convention? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I'm new to the convention scene, and don't want to come across like a complete .... I don't know, loser? Moron? Ne'er-do-well?

But it occurred to me that as I walk around with a backpack of my favorite small-box games at Origins, I might have a sign on my person 'advertising' the games I'd love to sit down and play.

Is this 'acceptable' behavior at a convention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a direct answer to your question, but there's a GeekList that might be of interest.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206644/origins-2016-wh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's common to do a convention geeklist/meetup scheduler for games you want to play at a convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
it's common to do a convention geeklist/meetup scheduler for games you want to play at a convention.

Yeah, but Origins/GenCon are kind of a different beast when it comes to that sort of thing honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Could you be more specific? I was at Origins last year and I've never been to GenCon.

To me, Origins was a fantastic place to game. I just did it very "impromptu" last year, and was thinking about being more organized about it this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
Could you be more specific? I was at Origins last year and I've never been to GenCon.

To me, Origins was a fantastic place to game. I just did it very "impromptu" last year, and was thinking about being more organized about it this year.

I was only replying to his comment about the "want to play" geeklist. Origins is a great place to game, but it is so large that coordinating those impromptu "scheduled" games is significantly more difficult than at smaller cons. I'm sure it could be done, but not sure how successful it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
I'm new to the convention scene, and don't want to come across like a complete .... I don't know, loser? Moron? Ne'er-do-well?

But it occurred to me that as I walk around with a backpack of my favorite small-box games at Origins, I might have a sign on my person 'advertising' the games I'd love to sit down and play.

Is this 'acceptable' behavior at a convention?

It depends on what the rules are for the convention. I know at the WBC you could not hang up posters or flyers. Walking around with a sign could be a grey area I guess. Some conventions have places to post what you want to play in open gaming before the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
However, at WBC, there are signs you can put on your table in the open gaming area saying that you are looking for players, etc. Also, there is always a whiteboard that you can use to indicate you are looking for players for particular games. Having a bunch of games stacked next to you while you are playing or in a clear tub also helps people know what you have and might be interested in playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the problem at WBC was not using flyers to find players. You just cannot sell things and you cannot hang things on the hotel walls. You will find lots of flyers around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.