Subject: What crime would you charge her for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you charge her?

So the wife of the orlando shooter knew his plans, and she didn't say anything.
If it was a neighbor, I am sure they could be scared enough by the PC police on saying anything.... But she was his wife, so......

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/14/orlando-gunman-made-mul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
accessory before the fact, assuming she did more then just know.

As far as I know (and I am not sure I wholly agree with it) knowing about but not reporting a crime is not in an of itself illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From the evidence we have, she should spend the rest of her life in a cell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

What law did she break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

What law did she break?

Accessory to 50 murders, for starters.

I'd tack on conspiracy and a few other things too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

What law did she break?

How, as far as I know she has to encourage or aid to be an accessory before the fact.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/failure-to-repo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

What law did she break?

How, as far as I know she has to encourage or aid to be an accessory before the fact.

She did. Please read some news articles. I'm not going to educate you on facts that are wildly available just because you're lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
TheDashi wrote:
If it was a neighbor, I am sure they could be scared enough by the PC police on saying anything.... But she was his wife, so......

how exactly does the pc police scare someone into not reporting a planned massacre of gay people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

how exactly does the pc police scare someone into not reporting a planned massacre of gay people

Maybe fear of being instantly called a racist hater?
Or an anti muslim?
Take your pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
single sentences wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Or an anti muslim?
Take your pick.

such a dilemma: anti-muslim racist on one hand, or terrorist american hater on the other. quite the quandary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
single sentences wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Or an anti muslim?
Take your pick.

such a dilemma: anti-muslim racist on one hand, or terrorist american hater on the other. quite the quandary.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/12/03/neighbo...

Why do you think they didnt say anything?
What made them THINK they would be labeled racists?
WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE about this country?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

What law did she break?

Your a little too cavalier in your statements. So far the news reports are extremely tenuous regarding any facts that would support a criminal conviction. Should the authorities investigate? Perhaps but, charging her based on public knowledge to date? That's far fetched at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

maybe they were idiots? although, I wonder what the suspicious activity was? getting a lot of packages is pretty much NOT suspicious. this sounds like an after the fact thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
TheDashi wrote:
single sentences wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Or an anti muslim?
Take your pick.

what do you think makes islam look worse - a radical muslim killing lots of people or a radical muslim not killing lots of people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
single sentences wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Or an anti muslim?
Take your pick.

what do you think makes islam look worse - a radical muslim killing lots of people or a radical muslim not killing lots of people

What?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
such a dilemma:

Yeah, a real pickle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Besides no doubt somebody will be along soon enough to claim its a first ammendment right to speak or to remain silent and somehow the government would have found a way to come and TAKE ALL THEIR GUNS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a world where you can only show tolerance for one group at a time.

Luckily in the real world - not everything is binary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

maybe they were idiots? although, I wonder what the suspicious activity was? getting a lot of packages is pretty much NOT suspicious. this sounds like an after the fact thing.

On behalf of Jarred, I'd like to point out that there's nothing at all suspicious about receiving tons of packages from the greatest retailer on Earth, Amazon.com, unless you're suspicious of great savings.

Now, if someone is receiving a bunch of packages that aren't from Amazon, it's probably time to deploy some enhanced interrogation techniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

What law did she break?

She did. Please read some news articles. I'm not going to educate you on facts that are wildly available just because you're lazy.
I have, and all I can see id s that she drove him around, but not to the actual attack.

As I said they have to prove material aid, not just doing what millions of wives do, give lifts to their husbands.

As I said in my first post, if she can be shown to have aided him she should be charged with being an accessory, but I am not sure the evidence is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
toku42 wrote:
On behalf of Jarred, I'd like to point out that there's nothing at all suspicious about receiving tons of packages from the greatest retailer on Earth, Amazon.com, unless you're suspicious of great savings.

Now, if someone is receiving a bunch of packages that aren't from Amazon, it's probably time to deploy some enhanced interrogation techniques.

So how much do you get paid to tout Amazon on various internet sites? laugh

As has been noted earlier, under US law, a spouse cannot not be compelled or expected to help incriminate their partner. The spouse may do so voluntarily, but it's not a legal requirement.

From what I've read about this so far, I want to wait until I hear more evidence. Fox News has a "law enforcement source" who claims the wife had working knowledge of Mateen's plot prior to the incident. Unfortunately, this is not backed up by a second source, so it makes it interesting but not definitive. If all she did was listen to a crazy husband spout off about how he hated queers and Christians, she shouldn't face any charge. But it should definitely be investigated and re-investigated.

It also would be nice if Congress would allow pre-purchase background checks for firearms to include notice that people are on the no-fly list or are currently under investigation for a serious crime by the FBI, but hey, Congress is too busy down on its knee blowing the NRA for money, so forget that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know all the facts, but given the reports that Mateen was physically and emotionally abusive to her, I'd be very cautious about painting her with the same brush. For people who haven't experienced it firsthand, it can be hard to imagine the level of fear and control that an abuser can generate -- as well as how hard it can be to make sense of what's real and what's just idle threats.

I'm withholding judgment for the time being but if she was in a relationship with this guy, I'd be inclined to consider her a victim, not a co-perpetrator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
I don't know all the facts, but given the reports that Mateen was physically and emotionally abusive to her, I'd be very cautious about painting her with the same brush. For people who haven't experienced it firsthand, it can be hard to imagine the level of fear and control that an abuser can generate -- as well as how hard it can be to make sense of what's real and what's just idle threats.

I'm withholding judgment for the time being but if she was in a relationship with this guy, I'd be inclined to consider her a victim, not a co-perpetrator.

I believe that was the first wife that made the abuse allegations. He certainly could have also been abusive to the second wife, but I've not seen that stated yet, although I may have missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
the pete wrote:

I believe that was the first wife that made the abuse allegations. He certainly could have also been abusive to the second wife, but I've not seen that stated yet, although I may have missed it.

Ah, thanks. Clearly I was right when I said that I didn't know all the facts

That said, a man who was abusive to one partner usually doesn't just stop there. Especially if he's the type of lunatic who eventually graduates to mass murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.