Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thisorthat [+] [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm deciding between these two titles for a final purchase I have planned. The problem, however, is that its very difficult to tease the differences between these titles from the reviews which abound around the net.

Traders of Genoa seems to be less regarded here on BGG, at least more lip service is given as praise to Goa. It also seems to only work as a 4+ player game, no?

Goa, on the otherhand, I hear is more "dry" but accommodates two.

Aside from these loosely distinguishing characteristics, these games seem as one to me at the moment. This impression is obviously missing something, so I turn to you guys for insight.

Incidentally, Caylus will be the second item I grab in this two item acquisition. Would you all agree that Caylus would make a good compliment to one of these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Completely different game. Traders of Genoa wants 4+. That's one difference.

But the main one is that it is a hard core negotiation/trading/bribery game. It requires players to interact and be creative in their dealing.

Goa is a much less interactive game, interaction is primarily via an auction. It plays far better with 2 than with other counts.

I enjoy both, but Goa comes out much more often. Traders is a fine fine game but it really depends on having the right player mix for it to work well. Goa just works for 2.

As does Caylus. Caylus is a fine choice. Works great for 2 as well as for 3 or 4 as well. Interactive, but not in the free-flowing negotiation sense of Traders of Genoa. Nothing else really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traders is more player interactions in terms of negotiation/trading/bribery than Goa. Traders works well with 3-4, 5 being almost overkill.

Goa is more solitar auctions. It's great with 2-4 I think.

If you want to draw comparisons, Traders is more like Settlers and Chinatown and Goa is more like Caylus and Princes of Florence.

I also agree with the above poster where Traders really depends on your group. It could just be killer with a bad group or really fun with a good group. Just don't take anything too personally like I have seen in one of my groups. Ugh. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And don't try to wring the last nickel from each deal. Game will take 6 hours if you do. Will take 2 if everyone plays it as should be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teemu Salohalme
Finland
Imatra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love deeply both games but Traders of Genoa is very taxing: after playing one game of it I'm always so exhausted that I can hardly play anything else that evening. Goa is much more relaxed (and relaxing) whereas Traders of Genoa is making agonizing decisions and bargains for two (or more) hours. There's not resting time in ToG since you are constantly participating in the action and that's why I think playing it is so nerve-wrecking.

They are very different kind of games, both very good, but I would probably start with Goa. At least it gets played more and it might also be more well received than ToG. Goa works well with 3 and 4 (2 being playable), ToG plays in my opinion really well only with 4.

Eventually you will get them both anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george jaycock
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played ToG just last night I would certainly agree that it can be intense, but this for me would just put it a notch above Goa. It has a clarity to the mechanics, where basically anything can be traded, without some of the need for re-checking "what does this tile do" of Goa. None-the-less perhaps Goa is a better starter, though ToG the better game!

Incidentally my game of ToG last night was with 2-players. I've also played with 3 or 4 players and have had no difference in level of enjoyment. Buy them both...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to chime in with support for ToG here.
I love Goa with 2 and with 4, but the auction does occasionally break down with 3 (if you are not careful.)
But ToG (especially with a full complement of five involved players) can be a hoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa and Genoa are both excellent "system" games but the key difference as others have alluded to, is that Goa is an action/auction game whereas Traders of Genoa is a trading/negotiation game. If you enjoy the negotiation aspect of Catan then Genoa might be better; if you enjoy the conversion of goods and action cards into buildings and roads (i.e. other goods), then Goa might be best. In reality, you likely won't regret either choice.

YMMV, but I personally prefer Goa as it scales better (good for 2 through 4) and plays in a shorter time span. Traders is a great game but it's one of those games I want to play once a year, not once a week and really needs 4+ to work best due to the negotiation aspect. But that being said, that 1 playing a year is always a highlight.

Caylus is another highly rated system game. Since the worker placement mechanic in these types of games is fairly unique (or was), Caylus should complement your other choice fairly well. It scales relatively well but does play a bit on the long side of things, especially with new people (~3 hrs). If length is a consideration, some of the newer "worker placement" games worth considering as alternates include The Pillars of the Earth and the upcoming Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd vote for Goa because more people I've played it with have been receptive to it, but I really have a soft spot for Traders. Also, don't give too much weight to the statements here that Traders doesn't work well with two. Past discussions on the Geek indicate that many people feel otherwise, and I've found the 2-player game quite enjoyable. It's different than the multiplayer game, but it's still a great game.

Either way you go, though, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.