United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up directly from the publisher because I like hiking the parks as well as tenting and cooking up some steaks on an open fire. The game has an educational value of sorts in that players can learn the names and locations of national parks. The components are quite colorful with wooden hikers and a mounted board; however, the ceramic stones may easily chip or crack.

Trekking the National Parks is a fun, simplistic family game but is lacking a solo variant, so I created one. My intentions were to keep it simple and use the mechanics of the standard game as much as possible while trying to achieve play-balance. This is what I came up with after 10 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelvie
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The variant played very smooth and easy. However I won both times I have played without even subtracting points from the AI for missed parks. Have you had similar results? I'll be thinking about how to make the AI more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
UwishUwereLish wrote:
The variant played very smooth and easy. However I won both times I have played without even subtracting points from the AI for missed parks. Have you had similar results? I'll be thinking about how to make the AI more challenging.

Hi Brian,

Its been a year since I touched the game. From my game play notes, it appears that the AI was winning most of my solo games. To be honest, I only played a handful (under 10). To try to make it more difficult on the Human player, do not eliminate the 1/2 card value the AI did not win; or perhaps subtract from the AI score 1 point (or a set value) per card not won. That should increase the difficulty on the Human player.

Again, it is a very simplistic family rainy day fun game, IMO. I wanted to keep it this way, and change the mechanics as little as possible out of respect to the designers. So its a solo variant for a game that had none. You are welcomed to tinker with my variant or develop something completely different.

Best of luck!
Etien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.