Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
We prefer playing with the Mosquito and Ladybug but with one Ant and one Grasshopper removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence K
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That sounds like a good idea. We've been playing lately with just the ladybug, and the 3 grasshoppers + ladybug seem to put a lot of pressure on black. Thinking about adding the pillbug as it seems well received, but not as interested in lengthening the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
We play Hive +M/L. My wife didn't like how much the Pillbug changed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
We play Hive +M/L. My wife didn't like how much the Pillbug changed the game.

My Significant and I feel the same way about the Pillbug.

Part of Hive's charm is the careful placement of the Spiders and Grasshoppers. The Pillbug has reduced that somewhat as players can shift the positions of both. This is on top of how the Pillbug tends to dominate the early game strategy and players have to work to neutralise it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Pillbug quite a bit as it hampers rush down tactics by either side, and it creates interesting and creative positions. It can be frustrating at times, but I believe it adds a lot of depth to the game and negates any first turn advantage white has.

Playing without it and with any mix of the expansion bugs is plenty of fun too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to vote "standard", but then realised that wouldn't be fair because I haven't given any of the expansions a fair go. Still, I don't feel motivated to purchase them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I wonder how other people feel that picked standard? Don't like or haven't played the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised to be the only voter (out of 63 so far) for Standard + Ladybug!

I like mixing in the Mosquito and/or Pillbug occasionally, but they both feel a bit gimmicky and distinctly like "expansion pieces" to me.

The Ladybug fits in seamlessly and feels like it could have been part of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cooper
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillbug is an interesting piece for handicapping. Letting the weaker player have the Pillbug can help them stay in the game longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pillbug + Mosquito to me is a must to give black a real shot, and the Ladybug is awesome too, so...

Play with all three, and of course, tournament opening (no queen first)!

LM is too good for white, standard is too repetitive and dull, and more bugs reduces draws. Learn to love the Pillbug my friends, it is not 'gimmicky' once you are used to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing as black was not much fun until the pill bug was added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do not get the love for the Ladybug. It is just so strong on offence with very little counter-play. I love how you can defend against ants and spiders (and also somewhat grasshoppers) by careful positioning of your pieces. The ladybugs movement is so versatile that you have to lock it in place to stop it.

I do however LOOVE using the pillbug and the ladybug together because i feel you need the added offensive pressure to counter the strong defence of the Pillbug.

To each his/her own I guess

Right now my favourite way of playing is using everything, closely followed by using just the base game plus the mosquito. But have a feeling I might enjoy everything minus 1 ant and 1 grasshopper even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.