Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

My wife and I really enjoyed Diablo and I was wondering if there are any similar type games (on the market) like this game?

I have KSed both this game and S&S so I should be covered when they come out.

We played Pathfinders Card game for a while but are looking for something with a true dungeon and tons of cards/items.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients
Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Myth
Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games
Runebound (Third Edition) Not a dungeon crawl, but fits your criteria.
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) Same as above.
Eldritch Horror Not fantasy, but co-op.
Mice and Mystics

I know there's more....

Star Wars: Imperial Assault
The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game

That's all I can think of ATM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more that are still in the works:
Middara
Gloomhaven

Some others currently out: (These are sci-fi but still dungeon crawler-ish)
Level 7 [Escape]
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] (1 v many)
Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Fantasy Ugly Snouts (and Badly Dead edition) are a lot like it: different character with stats, co-op, level up abilities, monster challenge levels, loot, etc. Fun dungeon explore game with a push your luck aspect and the art is over-the-top but good for laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I would say Zombicide: Black Plague is going to be extremely similar. Not only because of the rules, but in many ways that game is also a dungeon crawl, just not inside a dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:

I know there's more....

Isn't Imperial Assault a competitive Sci-Fi (as opposed to MD which is Co-op Fantasy)

what's the similarity?

(not trying to sound nasty. I haven't played Imperial Assault, so I'm genuinely curious to know what you see as the similarities, maybe it's a game I've overlooked in error)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Hulk is a tactical dungeon crawl in space.
The old D&D Adventure Game is hard to find, but crazy fun.
HeroQuest, obviously.
Legions of Steel is more tactical even than Space Hulk, but it's a hoot and the minis have this really cool retro-gonzo thing working.

You know, in case you want to go vintage. These are four games you'll probably have to pick up on eBay or something, because they're pretty rare. I had all four before my house burned, and I've been looking to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Lillo
Italy
Battipaglia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest is also already available and is a solid dungeon crawl game with decent co-op rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Old school:

Dark World
Siege of the Citadel
Dragon Strike
Dragon Quest
Warhammer Quest
Advanced HeroQuest

Newer:

Descent(original) & Descent 2 (Descent 2 has a pure coop element)
Dungeon Quest(new FFG reprint)
Doom
Zombicide Black Plague
Warhammer Quest Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Ghool wrote:

I know there's more....

Isn't Imperial Assault a competitive Sci-Fi (as opposed to MD which is Co-op Fantasy)

what's the similarity?

(not trying to sound nasty. I haven't played Imperial Assault, so I'm genuinely curious to know what you see as the similarities, maybe it's a game I've overlooked in error)

Imperial Assault is a great dungeon crawl, has a campaign system, has an awesome solo/coop variant. You have character development, items, nice variety of enemies, skills as you level up, multiple classes.

The rule system for IA is essentially a more efficient version of Descent 2.0. Descent 2.0 has a solo mechanism available via FFG's Road to Legend App, and there is almost no reason (other than time) that a nearly identical system can't be made for IA. Given the core system of Descent and IA, you can transpose any similarities between Descent and Massive Darkness except for the setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of those games don't have tons of item cards. Pathfinder probably has the most of those. I don't think there will be a boardgame with the content level of diablo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:
Ghool wrote:

I know there's more....

what's the similarity?

Imperial Assault is a great dungeon crawl, has a campaign system, has an awesome solo/coop variant. You have character development, items, nice variety of enemies, skills as you level up, multiple classes.

The rule system for IA is essentially a more efficient version of Descent 2.0. Descent 2.0 has a solo mechanism available via FFG's Road to Legend App, and there is almost no reason (other than time) that a nearly identical system can't be made for IA. Given the core system of Descent and IA, you can transpose any similarities between Descent and Massive Darkness except for the setting.

I did not know that Imperial Assault could be played Co-op.

This could be an expensive discovery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Most of those games don't have tons of item cards. Pathfinder probably has the most of those. I don't think there will be a boardgame with the content level of diablo.

Dungeon Crusade(recently funded on KS) will have 120 item (90 loot / 30 treasure) cards.

Warhammer Quest (1995) has well neigh 200+ item/treasure cards. And about that many more on the tables in the RPG Guide book included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Super Dungeon Explore and Myth. Both of which are more about battling monsters in a dungeon setting than exploring. Still, Myth has scripted modules on the way that will provide more of an ongoing campaign.

Another game on the horizon is Folklore. More of a true adventure boardgame with a choose-your-own adventure type campaign. Middara has a scripted story as well. Of course both of these games won't be out until sometime in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Dungeon Crusade(recently funded on KS) will have 120 item (90 loot / 30 treasure) cards.

Warhammer Quest (1995) has well neigh 200+ item/treasure cards. And about that many more on the tables in the RPG Guide book included.

Yea, which is less then pathfinder, and not even in the same league as a basic video game.I mean 120 is nice but it's not that much when the OP was talking about diablo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Henschel

Colorado Springs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Floydski wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Yea, which is less then pathfinder, and not even in the same league as a basic video game.I mean 120 is nice but it's not that much when the OP was talking about diablo.

I see some awesome games being mentioned here! Have you ever played the old PCRPGs like Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights or anything along those lines? Dungeon Crusade, a currently funded KS game, takes into account many awesome old school type features and is a 1-6 player open world dungeon crawl. Here's a list of the core game contents FYA.
•The Dungeon Board

•Tower Attack (House of Chance game)
•189 Loot Cards
•30 Blessing Cards
•20 Celebration Day Cards
•24 Ability Cards
•26 Secret Room Cards
•66 Gem Recipe Cards
•6 Pickaxe Cards
•36 Minion Cards
•48 Champion Cards
•32 Guardian Cards
•70 Encounter Cards
•30 Treasure Cards
•120 Mining Cards
•15 Main Quest Cards
•5 Side Quest cards
•6 Tavern Task Cards
•36 Affliction Cards
•276 Tokens
•40 Currency Tokens
•10 Red Round Tokens
•20 Damage Tokens
•20 Lifeforce Tokens
•44 Doors with plastic bases
•32 Cardboard Standees with plastic bases
•19 Dice
•12 Hero Sheets
•18 Plastic Clips
•2 Albus cards
•Dungeon UI Board
•Village UI Board
•Rule Book and Scenario book

The game can also be homebrewed

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone is bit controversial, but for sure has very elaborate
character development and tons of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
Shadows of Brimstone is bit controversial, but for sure has very elaborate
character development and tons of cards.

Why is it controversial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall looking at SoB and it has nice models and components but reading about the gameplay made me think of the original Warhammer Quest. My game group used to call it Warhammer Random Quest. There were some fun things about it, but we lost interest in it really quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several 'dungeon crawlers', both card based (Warhammer Quest, Lord of the Rings LCG, Pathfinder card game, Dungeon Crawler) and mini based (Space Hulk, Hero Quest, 4 Dungeons and Dragons adventure board games, and Zombicide Black Plague) but the best games I have for character development are below.

These are a bit farther off the mark of true dungeon crawler, but I would recommend World of Warcraft board game: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17223/world-warcraft-boar...

It is a long long game, but if you have the two expansions (the card only one is a must, IMO) the options for chracter development and synergy with other characters is the best I have found outside of video games. A problem might be availability. It has been long out of print. Stay away from the World of Warcraft Adventure board game. It is a different and terrible game.

Mage Knight board game http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96848/mage-knight-board-g... is really super for developing characters and giving challenging scenarios. If you like thinking, and abstract doesn't bother you, check out the game. The mechanics are different then the other games, as there is little die rolling, and you work with a deck and the deck (as well as clever design, and positioning, and a bit of luck) determines how much you can do in a given turn. I find it a fabulous game because there are often many ways your turn can play out in spite of just having 5 or 6 cards in your hand. Turns can, however, be slow, and it is not a good game to play if you have a fellow player who often suffers analysis paralysis.

Maybe that will help? I know Diablo is all about developing the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:

I did not know that Imperial Assault could be played Co-op.

This could be an expensive discovery...

It requires a print-and-play variant deck, but it works surprisingly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add Darklight: Memento Mori to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raxximus wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Floydski wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

I see some awesome games being mentioned here! Have you ever played the old PCRPGs like Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights or anything along those lines? Dungeon Crusade, a currently funded KS game, takes into account many awesome old school type features and is a 1-6 player open world dungeon crawl. Here's a list of the core game contents FYA.
•The Dungeon Board

•Tower Attack (House of Chance game)
•189 Loot Cards
•30 Blessing Cards
•20 Celebration Day Cards
•24 Ability Cards
•26 Secret Room Cards
•66 Gem Recipe Cards
•6 Pickaxe Cards
•36 Minion Cards
•48 Champion Cards
•32 Guardian Cards
•70 Encounter Cards
•30 Treasure Cards
•120 Mining Cards
•15 Main Quest Cards
•5 Side Quest cards
•6 Tavern Task Cards
•36 Affliction Cards
•276 Tokens
•40 Currency Tokens
•10 Red Round Tokens
•20 Damage Tokens
•20 Lifeforce Tokens
•44 Doors with plastic bases
•32 Cardboard Standees with plastic bases
•19 Dice
•12 Hero Sheets
•18 Plastic Clips
•2 Albus cards
•Dungeon UI Board
•Village UI Board
•Rule Book and Scenario book

The game can also be homebrewed

Richard
All that applies is the 189 loot cards, which kind of proves the point. You won't find a game with thousands of items, so far people are saying around 200 is alot. Nothing like diablo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
All that applies is the 189 loot cards, which kind of proves the point. You won't find a game with thousands of items, so far people are saying around 200 is alot. Nothing like diablo.

Just curious, not that it changes your point or anything, but why not the 30 Treasure cards too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cause I didn't think 30 more cards mattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.