1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games you like but don't own and why. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I was in a board game store for the first time last week. I have quite a few games already but I wanted to buy one at the store and took my time looking around at all the titles. The prices were understandably higher than online or second-hand but I realized that the games I wanted to buy were different from the games that I would buy.

It wasn't so much pricing as the nagging thought that if I buy this game nobody in my group will play it with me. I eventually found a title that I think I can get to the table: Empire Express. I wanted to buy Combat Commander or Power Grid but I would have to solo the game or it would just sit on the shelf looking pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually because a game is out of print. There are loads of games I have played and loved only to find them out of print and the second hand price too expensive for my taste.

Example: Firenze I would love an English copy. Hopefully it'll get a re-print one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 excuse is I know people who own a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I like it, but it doesn't get played enough to justify buying it
2. The person I'm most likely to play it with already owns a copy
3. I don't have to own everything I like
4. Getting a copy would cost more money or effort than I'm willing to pay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game is not great when played with 2 players, and someone else in my group owns it, it's less common for me to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeek LTK
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Hitler

It's a blast to play on Tabletop Simulator (online), but I just don't ever see us having an opportunity to play it with 8 people in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage
51st State: Master Set

Staying clear of games that has exclusive content. The games mentioned are the ones that has been most painful to stay clear of.
I might have bought games that have exclusive content but that would be because of not having done my homework well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
2. The person I'm most likely to play it with already owns a copy
3. I don't have to own everything I like
4. Getting a copy would cost more money or effort than I'm willing to pay

+1 to #1 and #4.

Most of my gaming is either solo or with my wife, so if it's not great as a 2 player or not solo-able, it's less likely to make it into my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing comes to mind.

Pete (buys what he wants)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time finding anyone to play board games with me. Even the games I own rarely get used. So any game I don't yet own has almost zero chance of being added to collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Architeuthis wrote:
Blood Rage

Staying clear of games that has exclusive content. The games mentioned are the ones that has been most painful to stay clear of.
I might have bought games that have exclusive content but that would be because of not having done my homework well enough.

What do you mean by exclusive? I wouldn't play those games because of the theme. If the theme was toned down I would give them a try because I have heard good things about the mechanics. I know this is a conscience issue, some people won't play historical wargames for the same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:
Blood Rage

What do you mean by exclusive? I wouldn't play those games because of the theme. If the theme was toned down I would give them a try because I have heard good things about the mechanics. I know this is a conscience issue, some people won't play historical wargames for the same reason.

Exclusive tends to mean KS exclusives. I don't have any of the exclusive stuff for Blood Rage and honestly, I don't miss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like A Study in Emerald, but anyone who would play with me already has a copy, and I'd prefer the out of print first edition.

I enjoyed my play of Combat Commander: Europe, but it's hard to solo, and anyone I would play with already has it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, and many DBG really...
I don't want to deal with thousands of cards. Having these in digital format truly shines for this genre.

Some games are so popular that you can just play other people's copies...
You know how folks keep saying if a game's good enough, it'll get reprinted? Well, if game is popular and/or good enough, other people will have it. Here we've got many medium to heavy set euros and games like Euphoria, castles Of Burgundy, Castles Mad King Ludwig, Roll For The Galaxy, etc.

I also think selling games is such a hassle
Gotta go online since doing so in person doesn't yield enough of a customer base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeHa wrote:
I really like A Study in Emerald, but anyone who would play with me already has a copy, and I'd prefer the out of print first edition.

I enjoyed my play of Combat Commander: Europe, but it's hard to solo, and anyone I would play with already has it.
I was like that with Glory To Rome. When they came out with the BB edition with the alternate American art, I figured it looked different and interesting enough to spring for it. I've moved since then, and yeah, with GtR being OOP, this is one of those cases where it turned out to be the exception than the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
I also think selling games is such a hassle
Gotta go online since doing so in person doesn't yield enough of a customer base.

I haven't sold any of the games I have bought even if I don't play them very much. I might give them away to someone else but it is a hassle to sell them. There aren't very many gamers in my area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

- Out of Print (Marracash); [which can relate to:]
- Cost (I might like it, but I don't like it $100 worth or something). But ultimately, a game is about
- Playing - my odds are low (Spartacus - the only time I'll ever get to play this is at cons, and someone else will have it). And if someone else has it, then
- Someone else has it (Dominion - I have the base game then realized pretty much every where I go, someone will have a lot more Dominion than I need, so I didn't need to buy any more.)

I've had some luck both buying and selling at con flea markets but I definitely need to get a 'for sale' list of games that have either been replaced or that I just don't like that much (or that never see any play). I haven't sold online because I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In addition to reasons already mentioned, the answer to the question "would I actually be able to teach this?" limits my buys a great deal. I can assume that people at my wargame meetup will read rules beforehand (or at least skim them), but otherwise it feels weird asking people to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Zelany
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Legomancer wrote:

Absolutely this.
Anything that needs 3+ players and is heavy are near impossible to get to the table.

The people I play the most with have a heck of a time grasping Smash Up, and my cooler gaming friends have an upcoming wedding, a new baby, or moved out of state.
Psh, selfish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People I know owning it is the only reason. I have bought games which friends own if I think I'll play the game when that friend isn't around.

Carrom is the only game I can think of that I like, don't own and isn't owned by someone I see weekly. I've only played it once and it's quite large so will probably just play it when have the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
#1 excuse is I know people who own a copy.

Absolutely. Nearly everything in my (not recently updated) collection on BGG qualifies for this.

#2 excuse for me is almost always price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
adam wilson wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:
Blood Rage

Exclusive tends to mean KS exclusives. I don't have any of the exclusive stuff for Blood Rage and honestly, I don't miss it.

It is the manipulative(!) marketing strategy that i absolutely detest. Companies who tries to sell me stuff with those strategies, often without full information on the game, does not get my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Architeuthis wrote:
It is the manipulative(!) marketing strategy that i absolutely detest. Companies who tries to sell me stuff with those strategies, often without full information on the game, does not get my money.

I don't want to sound like a smart-aleck but almost all forms of marketing are manipulative in nature. Humans aren't totally rational and a good marketer will figure out which buttons to push to get sales. A good sales add will play on our hopes, fears, loves and hatred without us knowing it. Some strategies are worse than others though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play time and weight not conducive for people I play with.

My purchases are almost solely determined by what has the best chance of getting played and not by what I want most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marceau
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth - out of print and too expensive on the secondary market

X-Wing - I like it but too many pieces and price point too high now and I would be playing against guys who have everything.

Xia - I know 2 guys who have the game so usually play their copies

Star Wars Rebellion - same as reason above + too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.