William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Seems whenever RSP gets all navel gazey- what, is it Wednesday ALREADY??- someone comes out and whines that people just write and make fun of others "for the thumbs".

Actually, the argument is a bit deeper. Rather, the anti thumb brigade argue that thumbs act as a sort of internet "gleichalstung"; a great word that implies people moving and thinking in the same direction, akin to electrons in an eletrical current. Thus, the argument goes, a person might start out as a very anti-pc conservative type, get no thumbs, and then start to change what they say for those green pips of approval. The result is that the Hive Mind wins, and independent thinkers and posters are crowded out.

Well, if thats what has happened to any poster, Ive never seen it.

Cant speak for anyone but me, but I use thumbs in two ways. First, to see if anyone is reading what I write, and second, to see if I get a thumb from someone I didnt expect. For instance, if I write a quick snark in praise if She2, I expect a thumb from her, or maybe Sbszine, or any one of the more liberal "SJWs" here in the forum.

But to get one ALSO from someone like Fizzmore or Bojan, that makes me think my post was better than average. And to get thumbs from the invisible lurkers, those who never post so their names are alien to me, those are awesome also. It means Im reaching outside of the usual suspects.

You see, while YES- I am a thumb whore- I want to get thumbs from as many of the different cliques as I can, especially from those who normally dont care too much for my schtick, or new posters I dont know. Those thumbs, the thumbs from those who normally would say Im full of shit but maybe I have a point THIS TIME, those are the ones that are precious to me.

But is how the real afficianados show their approval....

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed you, but no GG for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what's your point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
kuhrusty started thumbing my posts after i cleaned up my spelling so it definitely had an effect on me - if i could get some drew1365 thumbs i might use capitalization and punctuation too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

You shut your dirty mouth, you thumb whore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
kuhrusty started thumbing my posts after i cleaned up my spelling so it definitely had an effect on me - if i could get some drew1365 thumbs i might use capitalization and punctuation too

kissLooks like a Drew1365.2 account needs to be made...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dar,

You get thumbs because you write well and your opinions are generally well reasoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

You shut your dirty mouth, you thumb whore.

Yeah, everybody knows that if you wanna make the big GeekGold, you gotta work it a little.

There's your - Now dance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea what you said since I tipped, thumbed and immediately hopped to the bottom and replied. I'm sure it was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anti-Thumb because you misspelled my name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Cant speak for anyone but me, but I use thumbs in two ways. First, to see if anyone is reading what I write, and second, to see if I get a thumb from someone I didnt expect. For instance, if I write a quick snark in praise if She2, I expect a thumb from her, or maybe Sbszine, or any one of the more liberal "SJWs" here in the forum.

But to get one ALSO from someone like Fuzzmore or Bojan, that makes me think my post was better than average. And to get thumbs from the invisible lurkers, those who never post so their names are alien to me, those are awesome also. It means Im reaching outside of the usual suspects.

Yessss, I am finally an SJW! Suck it, Fuzzmore and Bogan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Seems whenever RSP gets all navel gazey- what, is it Wednesday ALREADY??- someone comes out and whines that people just write and make fun of others "for the thumbs".

Actually, the argument is a bit deeper. Rather, the anti thumb brigade argue that thumbs act as a sort of internet "gleichalstung"; a great word that implies people moving and thinking in the same direction, akin to electrons in an eletrical current. Thus, the argument goes, a person might start out as a very anti-pc conservative type, get no thumbs, and then start to change what they say for those green pips of approval. The result is that the Hive Mind wins, and independent thinkers and posters are crowded out.

But to get one ALSO from someone like Fizzmore or Bojan, that makes me think my post was better than average. And to get thumbs from the invisible lurkers, those who never post so their names are alien to me, those are awesome also. It means Im reaching outside of the usual suspects.

You see, while YES- I am a thumb whore- I want to get thumbs from as many of the different cliques as I can, especially from those who normally dont care too much for my schtick, or new posters I dont know. Those thumbs, the thumbs from those who normally would say Im full of shit but maybe I have a point THIS TIME, those are the ones that are precious to me.

Darilian
This reads as the most elobarate and disingenuous GG beg evah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Dar, are you referring to my comment?

It's hard to tell because it is not what I said, nor what I meant.

It must be Wednesday.

I said eliminating thumbs would discourage a few of the most objectionable users. The weakest users aren't very smart, nor are they sure of their positions. When they see a conversation and note one side or the other is getting a lot more thumbs, they are emboldened to post their nonsense which they can't back up beyond pure emotion. They can't back up their statement, nor do they even have a grasp of the issues in play, when challenged they act (and feel) set upon, and that creates a level of drama that had stayed out of the conversation to that point.

Edit: to be clear, when I posted that comment I knew I didn't clarify enough, but I know that it will never happen and was mostly wishful thinking.

Vaguely, Brian, but its not as if what you've said hasn't come up before at times.

So don't think that I'm specifically talking about your point, unless you want to make it your point, or whatever.

No big woop!
Excuse me, its late and im tired!
Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great writing, I hope you get lots of thumbs.
Darilian wrote:
... "gleichalstung"; a great word that implies people moving and thinking in the same direction, akin to electrons in an eletrical current.

The word you describe is spelled "Gleichschaltung", and belongs in RSP as it was invented to describe an important part of German Nazi propaganda under Hitler and still carries that connotation.
In other news, in over 5 years of RSP lurking I have not seen a single post get 25 thumbs, congratulations on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I'm not thumbing any of your shit until you bring back Smurfette or Christian Slater.

Or both.

Nodens wrote:
The word you describe is spelled "Gleichschaltung", and belongs in RSP as it was invented to describe an important part of German Nazi propaganda under Hitler and still carries that connotation.
In other news, in over 5 years of RSP lurking I have not seen a single post get 25 thumbs, congratulations on that.

I got 100 thumbs for this RSP post; as Darilian has clearly figured out, Nazis are the secret ingredient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well worth the 101 thumbs it got, and more. Kinda makes me miss the good old days when quality content was happening regularly in RSP.
Maybe after the election or when the first generation with nationwide scientifically based sex ed comes of age.modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dar;

If thumbs the only or even principal consideration, you'd be posting in FTL or Chit Chat. This is RSP where thumbs have to be earned. What your OP describes is valuing the thumbs you feel you've well earned.

Moshe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

But :gg: is how the real afficianados show their approval....

Darilian
Your worse then Hitler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Wait, what's your point?
A finger thrust towards what he wants you to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Darilian needs to be punished for such casual thumb whoredom.

No thumbs for a month, who's with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Until you start thumb whoreing to pay for a geek gold habit I say you're just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.