Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » General

Subject: Catch up mechanisms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daft Wullie
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
Does anybody have any house rules that works as a catch up mechanism. When we play there seems to be one or two runaway leaders and no chance to others to catch up on their fame points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z Oddone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sometimes house rule that instead of missing a turn when you die, you lose n-1 points of your ships tier. So tier 1 loses 0 points, tier 2 loses 1 point, and tier 3 loses 2 points. This also helps kill the horrible downtime you have to wait from missing a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have toyed with having an additional NPC ship that harasses the player with the most FP. To be honest, I haven't really worked out how to balance the NPC's strength. I want it to be a substantial annoyance, not a game-changer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catch-ups are built in at 15-20 points. The penalty for death is significant for higher tier players and becomes inconsequential for lower tiers.

Swap out to all offense, ram 'em to death, salvage until your hold is full, pursue crazy titles, and choose upgrades and missions that support taking down your leader (railgun or the knockback abilities, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent tried it yet, but I speculated in another thread about turning the sellsword into a sort of robin hood for the poor in FP. Have some trigger that you have entered the mid-game, like someone reached 1/4 or 1/3 of FP needed for win or first tier 2 ship bought or something like that. On that trigger, start giving the sellsword to the player in last place to use, but only if there is not a tie for last place. The sellsword can still be purchased away from them, but at a cost of 3x normal and it is paid to the last place person. You might want to have some limit on how long they can keep the sellsword. If the sellsword is in possession of someone not in last place, normal rules apply, including how much it costs. If last place changes, give the sellsword to the new person in last place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/22893829#22893829

And here's a longer one with lots of house rules: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/19254372#19254372

The expansion fixes a lot of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know 2 great ways to have built in catch up mechanics that don't feel like too much a punishment for players in the lead, but also won't feel like a free reward for players who are behind. The first is changing the price of upgrading a ship based on who upgrades first. First you figure out how many players are playing. As an example let's say 4. Then the first person who upgrades to a tier 2 ship will pay 8000 credits. The 2nd person who upgrades will pay 7,000 credits, 3rd will pay 6,000 and 4th will pay the base 5,000 credits. You can do the same thing for Tier 3 Ships.

The second thing you can do is change the price it costs to purchase FP based on how many FP you are ahead of the last place player. The cost rises 1,000 for every FP you are ahead of them. An Example, you have 3 FP more than the player in last place. It will cost you 8,000 credits. If you buy it and want to buy another FP, that second one will cost 9,000 credits because you are 4 FP ahead now.

Thematicly I view the ship cost as you paying a premium to be the first to have new technology. Like how new phones cost more, but become more affordable over time. And the FP cost as you having to spend more to increase your fame when you are already pretty famous and well known in the galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordevilthefirst wrote:
First you figure out how many players are playing. As an example let's say 4. Then the first person who upgrades to a tier 2 ship will pay 8000 credits. The 2nd person who upgrades will pay 7,000 credits, 3rd will pay 6,000 and 4th will pay the base 5,000 credits. You can do the same thing for Tier 3 Ships.

This kind of thing is tricky to balance, though. If you get it slightly off you can get a situation where no one wants to upgrade because everyone else will just follow on with an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
lordevilthefirst wrote:
First you figure out how many players are playing. As an example let's say 4. Then the first person who upgrades to a tier 2 ship will pay 8000 credits. The 2nd person who upgrades will pay 7,000 credits, 3rd will pay 6,000 and 4th will pay the base 5,000 credits. You can do the same thing for Tier 3 Ships.

This kind of thing is tricky to balance, though. If you get it slightly off you can get a situation where no one wants to upgrade because everyone else will just follow on with an advantage.

It's not that hard to balance, if you are real worried just make it drop 1,000 credits every 2 players that upgrade and start the initial price at $6000 for a tier 2 ship with 4 players. First 2 pay 6,000, and last 2 pay 5,000. Won't slow down leading players as much, but it won't give anybody a huge advantage either.

Another option is first player to upgrade to a new tier pays 2,000 credit premium, everyone else pays 1,000 credit premium, last player to upgrade pays base price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordevilthefirst wrote:
It's not that hard to balance, if you are real worried just make it drop 1,000 credits every 2 players that upgrade and start the initial price at $6000 for a tier 2 ship with 4 players. First 2 pay 6,000, and last 2 pay 5,000.

If you make it a tiny effect then it's not worth the trouble and won't address the problem for players who have a problem. If you make it a larger effect then it can have unwanted effects like no one being willing to upgrade. So navigating in between those two failure modes is, in fact, difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't picture anything, that's not obviously broken, that would prevent the first player who can from upgrading. Getting the pick of all abilities is a pretty strong boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
I can't picture anything, that's not obviously broken, that would prevent the first player who can from upgrading. Getting the pick of all abilities is a pretty strong boost.
Plus you get to remove bounty and gain a fame point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.