14 Posts

Mistfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Hunter Quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andras Gyurefi
msg tools
mbmb
So how does this quest works? It says that you have to draw 9 enemies (for 4 heroes) and all of them has to be Hunters with the Beast keyword? Or I can ignore the Beast Keyword? If I can why it's there? And every hunter gets 5 extra HP? All the 9?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Special Setup is performed after the regular setup of the Encounter, and is completely separate. So, in this case, after drawing nine Beast Enemies, you need to draw one Enemy with the Hunter keyword, and add him to the end of the Enemy line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it was the other way around...you get the Hunter and then get the Beasts. Good to know the Hunter is last in line, though his ability means that he hangs out in Q at the start anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that apply with Special Encounters too? So Ghardhak and Rahlfors and Sigraed etc always "go to the back of the queue"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yes. All of that stuff is even further down on their cards than the basic monster spawn information. What culture are you guys from that your writing system is bottom to top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a related question--I just got this a couple of days ago, and I'm watching Rahdo's run through. When he pulls this Quest card, after the setup, he says the Hunter would be at range 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly), and untouchable.

After reading the rules, it looks like there are only 2 areas for enemies to be in: in the Hero area, which is range 1, and in the Quest area, which is range 2. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Yes. All of that stuff is even further down on their cards than the basic monster spawn information. What culture are you guys from that your writing system is bottom to top?

Andromican? isn't everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I have a related question--I just got this a couple of days ago, and I'm watching Rahdo's run through. When he pulls this Quest card, after the setup, he says the Hunter would be at range 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly), and untouchable.

After reading the rules, it looks like there are only 2 areas for enemies to be in: in the Hero area, which is range 1, and in the Quest area, which is range 2. Is this correct?

It is, but if the Hunter is in the Quest area (range 2) with other beasties, he gets a +1 to range, which makes him range 3. Not sure how something would get range 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan, I can certainly see what you're saying, but the rules as written don't address anything besides range 2. Range 3 or 4, even if they exist, would still be within the Quest area...and the rules pretty clearly state that a range 2 attack can target anything within any Hero area or the Quest Area. This is a Shroedinger's Hunter situation...he's at range 2, and he's not lol.

EDIT: Ok...apparently the rules I d/led from da webz are NOT what came in the game box. I cracked those open, and page 12 explains different ranges, including 3 and 4. I should have noticed this sooner, but I've come to rely way to much on the iPad and PDFs for game rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
Any Special Setup is performed after the regular setup of the Encounter, and is completely separate. So, in this case, after drawing nine Beast Enemies, you need to draw one Enemy with the Hunter keyword, and add him to the end of the Enemy line.

Thanks for this. I recently bought a KS copy second hand and there is no mention anywhere in the rules that I could find about what to do with Special Setup instructions on an encounter card. This helps tremendously.

In my ignorance, I interpreted that the Special setup superseded the other enemy counts and just placed 1 hunter (no beasties) which didn't seem right, but I couldn't decide how else to play it. Guessing that the revised rule set might make this more clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Savva
msg tools
mb
Please help me understand this "The Hunter" Quest Encounter card.
Setup rules say: Draw from the Green Enemy Deck until a Hunter is revealed. Place the Hunter in th Quest Area, discard other cards.
The setup number ofenemies to be drawn is 2x(number of players)+1. In my case that would mean I have to draw 5. Does that means I have to draw 5 Hunters?

Why I ask is because of the buff the hunters receive (additional life equal tonumber of players +1, which would be 3 aditional life points!). It seems incredible for me to to have such an unbalanced encounter in the game, so I hope I just don't read the encounter correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
No, you draw the usual number of enemies.
Then you draw/discard more until you get 1 more hunter.
Only that hunter gets the bonus, as some sort of "miniboss" enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Savva
msg tools
mb
Great, I have already packed the game and put it on sale. Adios, I have Mage Knight (and I thought this game was crazy convoluted. Wait until you see Mistfall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatU wrote:
Great, I have already packed the game and put it on sale. Adios, I have Mage Knight (and I thought this game was crazy convoluted. Wait until you see Mistfall).

Mistfall beats Mage Knight hands down for narrative and fun. You have to invest a bit of time and yes I played the Special setup wrong for a very long time. Didn't spoil the fun , just made it a lot harder.

NSKN have responded with more gameplay help as PDF's and Videos.

With Mistfall the theme fits the game - Whenever I play MK I forget the theme and it becomes an almost abstract puzzle , bit like technicolor Sudoku, that eats time, Mistfall always leaves me with a narrative and story and is like reading a good book or watching a great film. It still has a get the best out of what you have challenge however it feels like playing weapons and items not numbers.

PS my copy of MK has been packed and ready for trade since I found Mistfall.

My son bought me ST:Frontiers and I have to say that theme works a lot better and improves the narrative. I still think more numbers than Crew or the actions by name but at least it is fun.

I would unpack Mistfall and give it another go after reading and watching some of the gampeplay videos, make sure you have downloaded the updated rules version.

http://www.nskn.net/en2/games/mistfall/download/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.