David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Northern Westchester Boardgame Group meets on the second Tuesday of every month from 7pm-10pm, in the Cafe at the Mohegan Lake Barnes & Noble in Cortlandt Town Center on Route 6. Our next meeting is April 10th.

Last month we had a couple of people fairly new to these types of games so we started simple. We had games of TransAmerica and Lifeboats. Both were easy to learn and a fun time was had by all. Anticipating more people fairly new to the hobby, I figured I would teach Catan as one of our games at the April meeting.

From month to month we play a variety of different games from my collection (which you can check out here on BGG) and anything new I pick up along the way (which is pretty often). RSVP to nwbgg@aol.com along with any particular games or types of games you might be interested in playing, or respond to this thread with similar info, or just show up and join in.

The exact address is 3089 East Main Street, Route 6, Mohegan Lake, NY 10547.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sefton wrote:
The Northern Westchester Boardgame Group meets on the second Tuesday of every month from 7pm-10pm, in the Cafe at the Mohegan Lake Barnes & Noble in Cortlandt Town Center on Route 6. Our next meeting is April 10th.

Last month we had a couple of people fairly new to these types of games so we started simple. We had games of TransAmerica and Lifeboats. Both were easy to learn and a fun time was had by all. Anticipating more people fairly new to the hobby, I figured I would teach Catan as one of our games at the April meeting.

From month to month we play a variety of different games from my collection (which you can check out here on BGG) and anything new I pick up along the way (which is pretty often). RSVP to nwbgg@aol.com along with any particular games or types of games you might be interested in playing, or respond to this thread with similar info, or just show up and join in.

The exact address is 3089 East Main Street, Route 6, Mohegan Lake, NY 10547.

****Holy cow - that's near me. Around 20 minutes. I think I'll be showing up once in a while (though it conflicts with a different Westchester group that also meets Tuesday nights). I'd hate for there to be a split up of groups and would hope one group changes days.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zev, glad you spotted the post and I hope you can make it to the group some time. We played a Z-Man game last month!

I am aware of the Westchester Gaming Group and they have been doing Tuesday nights for a long time and I wasn't trying to infringe on that night or anything. I was just looking to start something up a little closer to home, that some of my friends who are very very new to boardgaming might come to, and that would also be in a public place and might help introduce more people to the hobby.

I'll see what kind of crowd we get at the April meeting and see what people think about moving the night. If it did move, I would probably change it to the second Monday of each month.

But for now, our next meeting is still on Tuesday, April 10th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks like I needed to make the decision sooner rather than later, since Barnes & Noble needed to know in order to keep us on their calendar of events.

So after this next meeting, on Tuesday April 10th, we will switch to the second Monday of every month.

Hopefully this makes it easier for people to attend and avoids any conflicts with other area groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEETING NOTES

There were just a few of us right at 7pm, so I sat down with Alec and Gail and played one quick hand of Poison. It was a fun little trick taking game where you don’t really want to take the tricks. There is also a bit of a memory aspect to it, because if you have more of a color than anybody else, you don’t have to count those cards, so try to remember what colors are getting scooped up. Gail and I were both just learning the game and we only played the one hand. I lucked into the win by only having to take one trick the whole game and it was just 2 cards.

Then Nancy, Audrey, Goody and Alec started up a game of Manhattan. Audrey and Alec battled it out in one neighborhood for majority, Audrey and Goody battled it out in another neighborhood and Goody and Alec struggled for control of the tallest building. While all of this was going on, Nancy snuck a lot of buildings into a lot of the other neighborhoods and cleaned up on points for majority and for buildings controlled. In the end it made for too big a scoring gap and no one could shut down her empire of little tenements enough to catch up and Nancy won the game.

I taught Knights of Charlemagne to Fred and Gail and we tried the game 3-player, which I had never done. It was interesting because you end up really having to pick your battles. No one player will ever have enough knights to spread out everywhere.

Then Tanya and Denise, who had been watching, joined in when Gail had to leave and we played it again as a 4-player. Tanya and Fred were looking really strong in most of the cities and on the 5-point manor, while Denise and I were getting a decent hold on the other manors. It looked grim for us. But in the last 2 or 3 rounds, Denise and I managed to tie up a couple of the cities and we even took the 5-point manor. Fred and Tanya tried to mess up our bid for the bonus tile by threatening the 3-point manor and taking the 2-point manor, but in the end we edged out a victory.

At this point both tables were ready for new games. We should have mixed up the groups a bit, but we didn’t. Nancy, Audrey and Goody started up a game of Ticket to Ride. Goody created a good network of tracks for himself and completed enough destination tickets to go for more. He even kept 2 out of the 3, figuring he owned enough tracks to get them both. Meanwhile Audrey seemed to be dominating in points by claiming a lot of the longer 5 and 6 train routes for lots of points and making it clear that she really wanted that Longest Train bonus. In the end, Audrey triggered the final round and Goody was just one turn short of claiming the track he needed to complete both of those extra destination tickets. (Instead of a -42, he would have gotten a +42 and that 84 point difference could have given him the win.) It seems that Audrey’s long train strategy paid off and she won a decisive victory.

At the other table Fred, Tanya, Alec and I played a game of The Downfall of Pompeii. During the first half of the game we all brought our people and their relatives to the lovely city of Pompeii. Whenever one person seemed to be gaining a large advantage in numbers, Omen cards, or someone else’s relatives would close that gap, keeping the first half of the game fairly even. Only a handful of people were hurled into the volcano. Then Vesuvius erupted and the second half of the game was under way. As the lava flowed through the city, the people ran for the city gates and safety. Fred, Alec and I were getting people out wherever it seemed possible, only occasionally using a turn to move people closer to the gates. Tanya used her turns to do just that, moving her people closer to the gates, away from the flowing lava, rather than moving the ones already at the gates to safety. It looked like a great plan on her part, but the game ended before she could get them all out, and sadly, they went into the volcano. Meanwhile, Alec and I were neck in neck with people saved and Fred was not that far behind. But after Alec got his last person out, he and I were tied. His only chance was to stop my remaining people from getting to the gates with lots of lava. In the end, I slipped one more out and that gave me the victory. Had we remained tied, Alec would have won easily, only having 5 people in the volcano, while the rest of us had closer to 10.

And if that weren’t enough, Tanya, Nancy, Alec and I stuck around and played a game of Settlers of Catan. I started the game with a settlement on a 9 with brick (that quickly became a city) and another settlement on a 2:1 brick port. Although Tanya and Alec kept trying to slow down my Brick Empire with the robber, I had a pretty healthy supply and was able to trade for most of the resources I needed to build the Longest Road and to grab a whole lot of development cards that gave me 3 victory points and eventually the Largest Army and the win.

Overall, it was a fun night of gaming. Some people had seen my various listings or signs, but we also got some new people who happened to stumble across us. Thanks to everybody who came by and played and hopefully you’ll be back next time.

Speaking of next time, in order to avoid a conflict with another area game group, the Northern Westchester Boardgame Group will no longer be meeting on Tuesdays. We will now be meeting on the 2nd Monday of each month. Our next meeting is on Monday, May 14th. Plan ahead so you can join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.