Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: some questions about rules (possible FAQ thread??) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
d g
msg tools
I know rules are in a beta like state but....

if i roll 7 dice for attack/defense i know i have a limit of 6 dices (3+3) but
--here comes the question--
If i can roll 7 dices and the enemy nullifies one of them (skill, bam/diamond on the roll, whatever) can i still roll 6 or 5 cause the nullified dice is taken into account from the 6 dices rule and not from my dices pool?



other: for example i have a sword with: 'bam' -> ignores a defense dice and 'bam'-> +1 damage
do i need 2 'bam' to be able to use both effects or with 1 'bam' both effects will apply?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgr1 wrote:
I know rules are in a beta like state but....

if i roll 7 dice for attack/defense i know i have a limit of 6 dices (3+3) but
--here comes the question--
If i can roll 7 dices and the enemy nullifies one of them (skill, bam/diamond on the roll, whatever) can i still roll 6 or 5 cause the nullified dice is taken into account from the 6 dices rule and not from my dices pool?

Didn't understand the question exactly but first to clear up:
Your limit is 3 dice per color. So there could be situations when you are to roll all 12 dice at once.

Apart from that iirc first you collect the defense dice pool, then apply the defense modifiers (for example -1 defense die from shadow mode attack), then collect the attack dice pool, apply attack modifiers and then roll all the dice at once.

dgr1 wrote:
other: for example i have a sword with: 'bam' -> ignores a defense dice and 'bam'-> +1 damage
do i need 2 'bam' to be able to use both effects or with 1 'bam' both effects will apply?


My guess is a "Bam" will be consumed by the use of an enchantment, but this is actually not yet sufficiently covered in the rules.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
Quote:
Didn't understand the question exactly but first to clear up:
Your limit is 3 dice per color. So there could be situations when you are to roll all 12 dice at once.


i'll explain with an example:
let's say monster rolls 7 defense dices 3 blues + 4 greens
i nullify one green dice because of Shadow mode so before rolling i have :
3b+(4-1g) dices for a total of 3blues 3greens ?
or
3b+(3-1g) dices for a total of 3blues 2greens ?



edited for a real possible example
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3b. You csn't have more than 3 when you roll, so it's modified from there. Need to find the rule to confirm it though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
dgr1 wrote:
other: for example i have a sword with: 'bam' -> ignores a defense dice and 'bam'-> +1 damage
do i need 2 'bam' to be able to use both effects or with 1 'bam' both effects will apply?


My guess is a "Bam" will be consumed by the use of an enchantment, but this is actually not yet sufficiently covered in the rules.


Found this one:

MD WIP Rulebook Page 38, left middle wrote:
Rolling a single Bam or Diamond can then trigger multiple Enchantments from different Equipment cards!

So, no symbol consumption! All effects trigger!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
ok, since both of you say the same i'll stick to that


more questions/thoughts:
rules says:
-Combat: +1 Defense die – Add a Defense die (players’ choice)
whenever the Hero is the Defender on a Combat roll.

-Defense: +1 Defense die – Add a Defense die of your
choice whenever the Hero is the Defender on a Combat roll.

i get some heroes are offensive (like Bersekers) and may get the 'Combat: +1 Defense die' skill and others (like Noble warrior) are more defensive and can get the 'Defense: +1 Defense die skill' but they could merge it into one for let's say combat and one for overall defense for traps or curses or random event, dunno something like:

-Combat: +1 Defense die – Add a Defense die (players’ choice)
whenever the Hero is the Defender on a Combat roll.

-Defense: +1 Defense die – Add a Defense die of your
choice whenever the Hero has to do a defense roll.


edited to say:
Thanks for your answers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
3b. You csn't have more than 3 when you roll, so it's modified from there. Need to find the rule to confirm it though...

There is nothing in the combat section about that.

The only passage I found was in the "Enter Shadow Mode" Section.

MD WIP Rulebook Page 27 right top wrote:
As long as the Hero is in Shadow Mode:

• The Hero is ignored when tracing Enemies’ routes (see Enemies' Phase, Move Step P. XX).
• Enemies can’t trace a Line Of Sight to a Hero with a Shadow Mode token and standing in a Shadow Zone.
• Enemies have one less Defense die (player’s choice, but before any Combat roll) when being attacked by a Hero with a Shadow Mode token and standing in a Shadow Zone (see Combat, P. XX).

So, i would say collect the available dice, respect the caps and before rolling take a defense die away.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgr1 wrote:
-Combat: +1 Defense die – Add a Defense die (players’ choice)
whenever the Hero is the Defender on a Combat roll.

-Defense: +1 Defense die – Add a Defense die of your
choice whenever the Hero is the Defender on a Combat roll.


This is indeed a duplicate! Imho "Combat: +1 Defense die" and "Defense: +1 Defense die" has the same result.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
more (sorry for the spam)

if i am equipped with a bow -2handed- and a shield -1hand- and i attack in my turn (with the bow obv.) and after i get attacked by monsters:
can i roll the shield's defense or since i used the bow with 2 hands for the attack i can't use the shield's defense?

the closest i can find is the Elias' example in page 37 or this in the red square of page 38:
"Two-Handed. Dice from Equipped cards bearing the Two-Handed symbol cannot be added to dice from Equipment cards bearing the Hand and Two-Handed symbols. Combat dice gained from other sources (Special Skills, Skills, Items, Consumables or Events) are added normally."
but can't really find nothing in rules about "switching" equipment for combat-defense
( but well as you can see for the other questions i don't know how to read -.- )

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games of this type would apply the negative modifiers at the same time as the positive modifiers. There is nothing in the rules to suggest that the removal of dice skill happens only after the cap. The cap should be the last thing that applies.

I hope the final version of the rules address this timing issue, but it makes a lot more sense to me to allow a bigger dice amount that goes over the three you are allowed to roll to protect you against loss of dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgr1 wrote:
more (sorry for the spam)

if i am equipped with a bow -2handed- and a shield -1hand- and i attack in my turn (with the bow obv.) and after i get attacked by monsters:
can i roll the shield's defense or since i used the bow with 2 hands for the attack i can't use the shield's defense?

the closest i can find is the Elias' example in page 37 or this in the red square of page 38:
"Two-Handed. Dice from Equipped cards bearing the Two-Handed symbol cannot be added to dice from Equipment cards bearing the Hand and Two-Handed symbols. Combat dice gained from other sources (Special Skills, Skills, Items, Consumables or Events) are added normally."
but can't really find nothing in rules about "switching" equipment for combat-defense
( but well as you can see for the other questions i don't know how to read -.- )


Yes you can use the shield.

If your bow would grant you defense you just have to decide if you will add the defense dice of the bow or of the shield to the defense dice of your armour and skills.

Sources: Your example and
MD WIP Rulebook, page 17 'Hero Dashbord' Hand Slots wrote:
Hand slots. One-handed and Two-Handed Equipped weapons are placed here. Your Hero can hold two Two-Handed weapons, but can use only one of them at a time!


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dgr1 wrote:
if i am equipped with a bow -2handed- and a shield -1hand- and i attack in my turn (with the bow obv.) and after i get attacked by monsters:
can i roll the shield's defense or since i used the bow with 2 hands for the attack i can't use the shield's defense?


The answer to this one is much clearer. Whenever you attack or defend, you choose which of your equipped items you actually are going to use in each hand. Think of the slots as things you have at easy reach. Thus, you could attack with a two-handed weapon in one hand slot and defend with a one-handed weapon/shield in the other hand slot without needing to rearrange things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that nerfs Shadow Mode something fierce. Plus, the phrasing is 'oneess defense dice.' I guess this one will be cleared up in time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
I feel that nerfs Shadow Mode something fierce. Plus, the phrasing is 'oneess defense dice.' I guess this one will be cleared up in time.

I think it will be rare that an enemy would have 4 or more of both dice, or 4 or more of one dice and none of the other. Outside of those case, Shadow Mode would definitely have an effect.

Also, note that there are Skills that can change Shadow Mode to remove 3 Defense dice when in Shadow Combat. That is an amazingly powerful ability if it can't be offset by the defender by having a larger pool prior to the cap.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find anything to suggest whether multiple mobs of enemies can move into the same zone as each other. From a rules standpoint, this wouldn't seem to have any strange effects, but logistically speaking trying to pile 26 minis into one zone might be a challenge
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it super annoying, that the ennemies are nothing but cannon fodder... I'd much rather fight 3 tough dwarves than 24 paper dwarves, that I simply mow down...
I dunno. I have a very strong feeling, that I'm going to houserule everything in this game, lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Most games of this type would apply the negative modifiers at the same time as the positive modifiers. There is nothing in the rules to suggest that the removal of dice skill happens only after the cap. The cap should be the last thing that applies.

This is my interpretation as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
more

a mob of monsters is supposed to attack a heroe like this:
(page 39)
"Minions can attack in three manners. This has an impact on the way their
Combat dice are used.
• Against a single Hero, along their Boss. The Minion’s Attack dice are simply added to the Boss’ pool.
• As support to their Boss (see P. XX). The Boss’ Combat roll gets an additional Hit per supporting Minion.
• Alone, against a single Hero. Resolve Combat rolls normally."

Example:
"Owen stands alone in Melee combat against 4 Orc Enforcers Minions and their Boss. The Boss and a single Minion join their Attack dice (4 red dices, reduced to the maximum of 3) against Owen’s Defense dice. However, the remaining three Orc Enforcer Minions support their Boss, each of them adding a to the Combat roll. So, the Orcs roll 3 red dices and add 3 hits against Owen’s Defense. Tough time."

question is, what if boss itself rolls the full pool of dice (3red and 3 yellow) cause is well equipped or whatever the reason...

do i still need to add a minion's dice to the roll ? aren't those dices lost automatically because of the 3 dices of each colour rule?

does the boss attack alone cause he can roll all the dices alone and then all the minions support with a hit?

thanks for sharing thoughts / answers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Minion still supports the Boss. Remember that the Hero may be able to reduce the number of dice by some amount according to his abilities, so it does behoove the Minion to add dice beyond the third of each colour, as that provides a buffer against such negative effects (the reduction happens before the cap).

So yes, you add the Minion's dice to the pool still, and only the other Minions provide the extra support hit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with dgr1, this is a bit of a gray area but can have a huge impact on the game. Are the dice added based on the card stats until they reach max, and then you subtract any with abilities? Or are they added up past the 3 max, then you subtract from there?


Clipper wrote:
The first Minion still supports the Boss. Remember that the Hero may be able to reduce the number of dice by some amount according to his abilities, so it does behoove the Minion to add dice beyond the third of each colour, as that provides a buffer against such negative effects (the reduction happens before the cap).

So yes, you add the Minion's dice to the pool still, and only the other Minions provide the extra support hit.


But what if it doesn't benefit the minion to roll along with his boss? If the boss has 3 yellow and 3 red attack dice and there are no modifiers to reduce them, wouldn't it be in the mobs best interest to support their boss with the +1 hit? How do you decide, do you just do whatever is most beneficial to the mobs?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
I have to agree with dgr1, this is a bit of a gray area but can have a huge impact on the game. Are the dice added based on the card stats until they reach max, and then you subtract any with abilities? Or are they added up past the 3 max, then you subtract from there?

Yes, there is ambiguity there; I agree too. However, most games with similar mechanics apply the limit after all other modifiers are calculated. If they don't clarify otherwise within the final rules, then that's the interpretation you should go with. It makes for a more interesting game.

Quote:
But what if it doesn't benefit the minion to roll along with his boss? If the boss has 3 yellow and 3 red attack dice and there are no modifiers to reduce them, wouldn't it be in the mobs best interest to support their boss with the +1 hit? How do you decide, do you just do whatever is most beneficial to the mobs?

The mobs follow the rules as written. Yes, this means they will do stupid or non-optimal things sometimes, but these creatures aren't meant to be highly intelligent, so that's OK.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.