13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Short co-op dungeon crawler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wanted: Short, co-op, modular, levelling dungeon crawler.

Hey gang!

Fairly new to board games but I'm really enjoying playing them and introducing others to them.

I'm looking for a good little co-op dungeon crawler, but I'm struggling to find a short one. Basically, I have a 45 minute lunch break so setup, play and pack away has to be within that time.

Also, I play with a lot of non-gamers, so a streamlined experience is a must!

I recently played Zombicide: Black Death, which I loved. The modular board, the characters that can be levelled up and the co-op gameplay were right up my street, but it takes far too long to play.

Could anyone recommend a similar game but more streamlined?

I have:
Forbidden Island
Khrysos Hunters
Dungeon in a Tin

I've looked at quite a few games, but they seem too long:
Zombicide: BD
Super Dungeon Explore (Arcade Mode)
Castle Ravenloft
Dark Souls
Massive Darkness
Endure the Stars
Darklight

I have Fuse, so wasn't really looking for time-restricted game, so I've ruled out:
Zombie 15
Escape! Curse of the Temple

I quite like the idea of a modular board, so I've ruled out:
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Tiny Epic Defenders

So, all-in-all, I'm being really fussy! Sorry!
Does such a game exist?!

I've backed Rail Raiders Infinite, hoping that'll scratch my itch, but in the meantime, I'm sure the wealth of expertise on here will come up trumps!

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The time factor is what will kill you on this request, not monsters or rogue wizards!

Very , very few dungeon crawlers can be played in less than an hour.

So few, I can't think of any.

Maybe Cave Troll? And it isn't exactly a crawler (but kinda), and barely makes the 45 minute time limit (and I mean barely).

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure what you're looking for even really exists. The best I can think of would be Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, but there's no board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D line, such as Castle Ravenloft that you mentioned, aren't really that long. Out of everything I can think of, that's probably the closest to what you're looking for. Though I recommend Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game over anything else in that line. Very enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest ACG is really fun.

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia will be coming out later this year. It has a coop mode, and is supposed to play in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Side Quest, a card-based dungeon crawler which is just now arriving to all the backers who supported the original Kickstarter some months back. I think this one will fit your criteria. Here's the website for the publisher, Tap to Win.

http://taptowin.co.uk/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm not a dungeon crawl expert by far but they might be worth a mention as I was looking for shorter ones myself for my daughter but whether they meet any of your other requirements, I couldn't really say for sure - some of them are co-op and modular etc!

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest can apparently be played short at 30 mins - longer for campaign style.

For something modular and not quite so dungeony, I saw that The 7th Continent can be saved like a computer game allowing you to play as long as you want and picking it up again next time.

Other short ones I've noticed maybe a little more outside the box such as Dungeon Fighter and Catacombs??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really not sure how long it is or if it is what you're looking for but I pledged in a kickstarter for the game Expedition: The Roleplaying Card Game.

I'm looking for something similar to you because I'd like to ease my boy into games and I took a risk to try this thing out. Should be released this year I imagine. It looked like a real wonky idea and I just thought it was worth pledging.

We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, while it doesn't have a board, the rooms you go into are different every time, in both setup and room effect. This feels like a dungeon crawl without the monotonous "move, move, shoot, move, move, search" actions that just repeat for hours. Instead, each team of space marines has three general actions you can take but they also have unique special abilities for those three actions. The difficult part is that you can't do the same action twice in a row so you really need to cooperate with your teammates who is going to do what each turn so you don't all end up attacking one turn and be screwed the next because none of you can take the attack action a second time. Very rarely do two games play out quite the same way, and depending on what space marine teams are selected your strategies will constantly be changing. I'd encourage you to give it another look. It's not a traditional dungeon crawler, but it sure does pack A LOT of game into a small box and manages to give you the dungeon crawler feel of what's around the corner and how are you gonna make it out of this alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for all your responses, it's appreciated!

Side Quest looks interesting and I wish I'd known about it before attending UKGE, where he was selling some copies. Chrome says their site has viruses and they've not replied to my Facebook message, but we'll see.

However, I did pick up Space Hulk whilst I was there, so I'll try that out.

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game looks fab and I may get that at some point, as does Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest.

The winner goes to Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia!

Not only does it fulfil all of my requests, I like the design of it too, plus I've just squeaked in to the late pledge window with 3 days to go!

Thanks again to everybody who posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QualityChimp wrote:
Thanks so much for all your responses, it's appreciated!

Side Quest looks interesting and I wish I'd known about it before attending UKGE, where he was selling some copies. Chrome says their site has viruses and they've not replied to my Facebook message, but we'll see.

However, I did pick up Space Hulk whilst I was there, so I'll try that out.

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game looks fab and I may get that at some point, as does Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest.

The winner goes to Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia!

Not only does it fulfil all of my requests, I like the design of it too, plus I've just squeaked in to the late pledge window with 3 days to go!

Thanks again to everybody who posted.

Firefox also reporting that webpage is compromised. I geekmailed the owner yesterday but no reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure what you mean by more streamlined than something like Forbidden Island but what about Dungeon Crawler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,thanks for the reply.
Forbidden Island is great, but there's no battling monsters for loot or levelling up.I want to feel like a badass warrior!

I looked at Dungeon Crawler, but it takes an hour to play and doesn't have a modular board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.