Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the new interface, two reviews are highlighted for a given game in the "in-depth review" section.

I was under the impression that the two reviews with the most thumbs (regardless if video or text) were auto-placed here?
(Or, if not, anyone know how this is supposed to work?)

In Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, one of the in-depth reviews is a vid with 197 thumbs, no problem.

But, the 2nd in-depth review is a vid with only 52 thumbs.

The most-thumbed text review has 164 thumbs!
Polis: a game deserving a wider audience.

Nothing against the 52-thumbed vid, but that text review is REALLY exceptional; I would put it up there with the best reviews I've read on BGG. It's well deserving of all those thumbs.

And, yet, it's nowhere to be found on the front page of the game, anywhere. You have to go to
forums -> reviews
and then sort by "hot" to even find it.

Any idea why this might be?
(bias against text reviews? devil)

I thought I'd submit feedback to BGG about this, but first wanted to confirm that the two most-thumbed reviews are supposed to be the highlighted ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I was under the impression that the two reviews with the most thumbs (regardless if video or text) were auto-placed here?

According to the text above the list, it's "Recent Reviews".
(inappropriate answer, caused by my settings)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

According to the text above the list, it's "Recent Reviews".

Actually I'm referring to the section right above that that says "Hot Reviews," that's right below the "in-depth reviews" section header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Actually I'm referring to the section right above that that says "Hot Reviews," that's right below the "in-depth reviews" section header.

Unless you have this part customized away. I didn't see a "Hot" section, only "Recent", and assumed it's the same for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Unless you have this part customized away. I didn't see a "Hot" section, only "Recent", and assumed it's the same for all.

Hm, if I did change from default I didn't remember!
Looks like it's the 4th item in the "settings" section, "hide hot items in overview" - you must have yours turned on, so it hides hot items.
(Turning it on hides them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the impression that the hot reviews section is only for videos (which may or may not be reviews, even if they are listed as reviews, because no one in geekmod actually watched the things). So, yes, bias against text reviews.

EDIT - Seems that if a game doesn't have any video reviews, then text reviews will be the hot ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
I've got the impression that the hot reviews section is only for videos (which may or may not be reviews, even if they are listed as reviews, because no one in geekmod actually watched the things). So, yes, bias against text reviews.

EDIT - Seems that if a game doesn't have any video reviews, then text reviews will be the hot ones.

That would be depressing if so. Wonder what they have against text reviews. Are they trying to make this BoardGameTube? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
chearns wrote:

That would be depressing if so. Wonder what they have against text reviews. Are they trying to make this BoardGameTube? shake

I think many view video as being more modern than text, and thus better. However, few are the videos that reach the same level of depth as the best text reviews on this site. I say few, but I really mean I can't think of anyone beyond Scott Nicholson. Unboxings and playthroughs are pretty much as shallow as one can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.