6 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Spidicules Fight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just killed our first spider! It was awesome.

I didn't quite the miniature done, but it was good enough for game one:

While I was painting it, the damn legs were all over the place, so I glued it to a perspex sheet. It was great.

My worries:
1) Snagged legs, in play and in transport.
2) It sagged and there was little room in the blind spot.
3) Move the spider, flick the minis all over the place with the legs.

Actual play:
1) Now it is rock solid. Very easy to transport and pick up.
2) I had to pull the legs in a bit to minimize the size of the sheet (it's an exact number of squares). So now his body is higher than the "natural" position when the feet just touch the table, and much higher than the "sagged" position when you let go of him. Perhaps it's just millimeters, but it was easy to get underneath.
3) So there was still a problem moving the mini. Anything (survivors) on the perspex sheet had to be taken off, he was moved, and then the other minis were replaced. But this was not too bad. I think moving him without base and without "clearing the way" would have caused problems, so we probably would have moved minis anyway.

I am not sure how long the little "twigs" are going to last, but he sure looked good.

Game play was fun and very thematic. Getting underneath him was great. I am really enjoying this expansion.

PS it was an "easy" fight but we lost 3 people. One to the story, one died of fright and one fell in a crack back at the settlement. Bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the model's actually the poorest design from any practical standpoint, which is a shame since I was really excited by it during the KS. I think the space under it was originally not going to be something you can occupy, otherwise I have zero idea why they'd make a ton of bits blocking where you were most likely to stand. Still haven't figured out how I might mod mine to be more practical. Thinking either two weighted bases with stems (one for where it is, one for where it will be) and it kinda' hovers over the board or maybe even dangles everything down to points instead of flat, or trimming off the "stems."

With your sheet, really confused, so, what happens when you move it? do you try to track the position of each piece and them pick everything up and put them back down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about removing the danglers during assembly. I am glad I did not, they weren't too much of problem during the game.

Given he's a giant eight-legged spider, I am not sure how much more practical it could be, while retaining it's form. I am not saying it's perfect, but, I disagree that it's "the poorest design from any practical standpoint". If the legs were shorter and closer, and the feet were bigger, it would have been a lot harder to move the survivors around and underneath, for example. And I would not want more dangly bits.

The mechanics of moving him did not detract from the game and playing with just a shadow token is not on our radar.

Quote:
do you try to track the position of each piece and them pick everything up and put them back down?

You say "try to track the position of each piece" as if it was hard, but with four pairs of eyes, we did not even notice this as task.

But I think it would have been the same without the base. I would have been worried about the legs catching the minis as he moved, so I would have cleared a path anyway. With the base, just really easy to move the model, compared to how hard to was while I was painting it. Before they were anchored down, they were very swingy and springy.

Also I am not worried about breaking a leg now. While painting, it was easy to catch one and bend it a lot. Now it's solid. If you touch it, you feel it there immediately. If you push too hard, the base slides; nothing bends ... then twangs and vibrates when you pull your hand back to fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think removing the dangly stuff or not using the space directly below it (or at least not encouraging you to stand there) would have made it infinitely more practical. having played the spider a lot, we got pretty tired of moving it around, to the point where we often just set it to the side with its facing and used a base to represent its location, since once you have a half-dozen spiders running around it's a real drag. And no, it's not some monumental feat, but I felt it was really unwieldy and so far my least-favorite quarry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this expansion for a multitude of reasons. However there are several things that are holding me back from purchasing it:

1. Its the same price as my all time favorite expansion (Sunstalker) with not nearly as much content as the SS.

2. From what I've gleaned here and there in threads the gear and armor set are actually a little subpar. Not sure how true that is though.

3. The miniature. While I consider myself a minis enthusiast (I am considering "The Primarchs Collection" off Forgeworld; the one thats $670 quid; probably $800 American) this mini is not practical. I love it and how creepy it is (creepier the better in my book), however it seems to give so many game complications I might as well just proxy the mini with something else.

For those reasons I am not really sure about Spidicules. On paper it is an instant yes to me. Once the price and practicality of the model catch up with this great concept I find it a hard expansion to swallow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1- yeah, too pricey
2- not really, it's just a nightmare to get a full set (one piece has some serious hoops to jump through), so really only nice if you're fine mixing, in which case it has some useful abilities. It's also got some above-average weapons IMHO, but I'm a big fan of katars.
3- yeah, not really the best there, either. It's really cool, but such a pain.

also, there are some consequences to fighting it that just don't make any sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.