Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sort of thing bothers me too. There are a lot of games I have zero interest in ever playing, but I don't go giving them all poor ratings. A lot of people do this though, and it's not going to change anytime soon.

I guess on the flipside, there are games with inflated ratings because they are mostly played by people who already know they are going to enjoy them. This happens with updated versions of games that get new BGG listings, like the new Through the Ages. These games' ratings would actually become more accurate if everyone who hated the first version gave a poor rating to the new version, even without playing it. I still don't necessarily condone doing it. I'm just thinking out loud here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game has prejudice ratings instead of ratings based on actual experience with the game. There are always shillbusters and fanboys.
But here, the negatives were first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorren Day
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Everything is awesome!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely hate this practice. Whether it's people rating a 1 or a 10, or anything in between. If the game isn't even out yet how can you review it? Sure you can maybe have an idea of what it's going to be like if it's another game in a series or uses a branded mechanic (ie legendary game system), but that's only an idea, you have no certainty. Who's to say the developers haven't refined the system? Finally turned a lump of coal into a diamond? (I actually like all the Legendary games btw) Play the damn game before you review it, otherwise your review is invalid.

Interestingly, the couple of people who have given this a rating of 1 (Which at time of writing is before the game's release), I checked their other ratings.

1st negative reviewer: Bradelli - To assume a game of a franchise is going to be rubbish because you don't like the film is like saying a film is rubbish because it's game was awful. Look at how many rubbish cash in video games have been made of fantastic films. By your logic these films are rubbish right?
Also gave HeroQuest a 1 because "A terrible game. The reason it has a lot of high ratings is not because it is good, but because it is nostalgic for a lot of old age pensioners. This game is best left in the 80s where it belongs."

Right, HeroQuest is only popular because of nostalgia, that's definitely why it's lasted so long, inspired a whole genre of games and is constantly requested to be spruced up and reprinted. It's definitely just the nostalgia and not the fact that it's one of the greatest games ever made. Oh and how dare you HeroQuest? how dare you have out dated mechanics that feel nearly 30 years old and not mechanics that are in line with games being made today?

Second negative reviewer: Powertothemeeples - Gave Big Trouble a 1 and simply said "Overpriced, Overrated" (Well it isn't out yet, and hasn't been professionally reviewed yet). Also gave Legendary Alien a 1 saying "Upperdeck rubbish". Lets look at what you've given a rating of 10 to then shall we...oh whats this? Dominion and most of it's expansions? And you want to talk about overpriced and overrated? Wow.

Now I don't mean to dig on Dominion, I actually like it and respect what it started. Seriously though, how can this guy be a massive Dominion fan, which is widely regarded as having great mechanics and being the forefather of the deck building genre but has zero theme and is just a number cruncher? And then hate on a couple of deck building games, one of which is considered to be the most thematic game ever made for it's franchise?

Some people are truly a mystery to the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sonichydra wrote:
I absolutely hate this practice. Whether it's people rating a 1 or a 10, or anything in between. If the game isn't even out yet how can you review it? Sure you can maybe have an idea of what it's going to be like if it's another game in a series or uses a branded mechanic (ie legendary game system), but that's only an idea, you have no certainty. Who's to say the developers haven't refined the system? Finally turned a lump of coal into a diamond? (I actually like all the Legendary games btw) Play the damn game before you review it, otherwise your review is invalid.

Interestingly, the couple of people who have given this a rating of 1 (Which at time of writing is before the game's release), I checked their other ratings.

1st negative reviewer: Bradelli - To assume a game of a franchise is going to be rubbish because you don't like the film is like saying a film is rubbish because it's game was awful. Look at how many rubbish cash in video games have been made of fantastic films. By your logic these films are rubbish right?
Also gave HeroQuest a 1 because "A terrible game. The reason it has a lot of high ratings is not because it is good, but because it is nostalgic for a lot of old age pensioners. This game is best left in the 80s where it belongs."

Right, HeroQuest is only popular because of nostalgia, that's definitely why it's lasted so long, inspired a whole genre of games and is constantly requested to be spruced up and reprinted. It's definitely just the nostalgia and not the fact that it's one of the greatest games ever made. Oh and how dare you HeroQuest? how dare you have out dated mechanics that feel nearly 30 years old and not mechanics that are in line with games being made today?

Second negative reviewer: Powertothemeeples - Gave Big Trouble a 1 and simply said "Overpriced, Overrated" (Well it isn't out yet, and hasn't been professionally reviewed yet). Also gave Legendary Alien a 1 saying "Upperdeck rubbish". Lets look at what you've given a rating of 10 to then shall we...oh whats this? Dominion and most of it's expansions? And you want to talk about overpriced and overrated? Wow.

Now I don't mean to dig on Dominion, I actually like it and respect what it started. Seriously though, how can this guy be a massive Dominion fan, which is widely regarded as having great mechanics and being the forefather of the deck building genre but has zero theme and is just a number cruncher? And then hate on a couple of deck building games, one of which is considered to be the most thematic game ever made for it's franchise?

Some people are truly a mystery to the universe.

Powertothemeeples has been trolling the Marvel Legendary preview threads for the past couple weeks. It's getting really annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I've always thought it was stupid that this site lets people review games before they are available via retail/were shipped to backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
FellintoOblivion wrote:
I've always thought it was stupid that this site lets people review games before they are available via retail/were shipped to backers.

Agreed. This seems like a relatively simple thing to do for BGG. You'd still have people giving unwarranted 1s and 10s, but it would at least help a little, and stem the tide of people complaining about the busted ratings system (no offense to the OP at all, just pointing out that this type of topic comes up every other week, seemingly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKillShirt wrote:
FellintoOblivion wrote:

Agreed. This seems like a relatively simple thing to do for BGG. You'd still have people giving unwarranted 1s and 10s, but it would at least help a little, and stem the tide of people complaining about the busted ratings system (no offense to the OP at all, just pointing out that this type of topic comes up every other week, seemingly).

At least for the big games a dozen or so shill ratings will eventually get absorbed into the mass of legitimate user ratings. I'm concerned for the smaller, independent game publishers. How long does it take to outweigh a dozen shill votes when your print run is only a couple hundred? A fantastic game such as Sentinels of the Multiverse could easily be sidelined this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.