Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Knoll
United States
Manhasset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My coworkers and I played our first game of forbidden stars. We used the beginners map setup. The players were: Sumit (Space Marines), Daryl (Chaos Space Marines), me (Orks), Shu (Eldar).

Sumit moved in strong into a planet next to his home system which contained one of my objective tokens. When I saw Sumit place his objective token there I decided to back off and move towards the south instead. I was worried about getting too engaged with Sumit early on and letting Shu run rampant on my eastern flank. Daryl moved east and took one of his objective tokens right away. Shu teleported across the map and took and objective token right next to Daryl's home system (Daryl forgot to protect it). There was no combat on the first turn.

On the second turn the battles started. I was preparing to attack a space marine planet in the middle of the map which contained one of my objective tokens but before I could attack, Shu attack my ship with 3 frigates (pronounced fry-gates). Shu rolled 8 dice to my 1. I held my own and used an event card and upgraded battle cards to destroy two of her ships before she routed my ship and forced me to retreat. I was still in a position to attack the space marine planet, but then she did an orbital bombardment and destroyed my only unit on a planet that was on my attack path, so I was forced to abandon my attack. Daryl and Sumit fought a major battle in the middle of the map (shown below) which Daryl won and took his second objective token. It should be noted that Shu ended the round with 12 material and gained 9 more, so wasted 7 because the max on the dial is 14.

The third round round turned out to be a catastrophe for Shu. The first bad
thing that happened to her was Daryl took one of her planets that she had teleported earlier which was worth 2 material. Shu then built a city in the upper right corner of the map. I built 2 small ships and a city in my territory. Then I attacked Shu in the upper right corner and took both of the planets in that system (the planet on the left was unoccupied). I defeated Shu there and took her city! On the next order, I attack the system below that one and took my first objective planet. The only bright spot for Shu was she was able to teleport a small unit to an objective planet in the middle of the map which had formally contained one of my units but which she bombarded. Daryl also attacked one of my initial worlds which contained a nob with 2 chaos space marines. I had better cards and ended up killing both of Daryl's attacking units.

On the fourth round (now that I had 3 cities), I bought some of the most expensive battle cards for my biggest units. I then built my biggest land unit when I dominated the system on the right side of the map and attacked Shu's home system which contained her factory. It was defended by a single tank, but I was lucky enough to draw one of my new battle cards (which had 5 guns on it) and use it to defeat Shu and gain my second objective token.

On the fifth round Shu moved her single frigate to my home system and engaged in orbital bombardment. This was crucial because it prevented me from building ships in my home system which I was planning on doing to attack one of Sumit's worlds next to my home system that had my objective token. The round was not a total waste for me however because Shu also built a factory in the planet below my home system, which I conquered. Shu also played an event card which gave her a free frigate in my own system so now she can do orbital bombardment with 6 dice.

In the sixth round I built a battleship and prepared to attack Sumit's planet in the middle of the map with my objective (the one I was planning to attack on the second round). Shu ended up bombarding my unit on the right center system and then moved a unit in and built a factory there. Sumit evacuated the planet I was targeting to attack Daryl on a planet that had one of Sumit's objective tokens on it. It was a massive battle which Sumit eventually won. This was Sumit's first objective token taken in the game. Sumit then reinforced the planet I was targeting. I attacked with 2 nobs and 1 of my big guys against 1 tank, 1 space marine, 2 scouts and 1 reinforcement token. By then I had bought the other set of really powerful cards and had 2 in my battle deck. So I won the combat and got my 3rd objective token.

We were planning on playing a 7th round but we decided to stop the game short. It took us 4 hours to play 6 rounds and we had only planned on playing 4 hours. People agreed that it would have been too difficult to get to 3 objective tokens and have more systems than me so I got the win. 2nd place was debated between Shu and Daryl. Both had a plan to get a 3rd objective, but both plans were a stretch and would have been difficult to accomplish, and once Shu told me her plan, I could react against it. I would say second place goes to Daryl because he had more systems - Shu was on the brink of player elimination. Sumit also said he was going to attack so I think each of the next two rounds would have taken 1 hour.

I enjoyed the game, but I think Shu and Daryl thought it was too long. Also, each combat can take a while so there can be a lot of downtime when the two other people are fighting. I enjoyed the game and I liked it better than Runewars because turtling is not a problem in this game. But I think I like Eclipse better because Eclipse supports more players and moves faster. I did like the ordering system in the game (placing 4 orders on the map). It makes planning difficult but it is a lot of fun.

Map at game end (end of 6th round):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Star is really a 2 players game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
Forbidden Stars can be a great 2 player game but for me and the guys I play with it; really starts to get interesting 3-5 players.

I love this game and eagerly await Gen Con in hopes of an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Baker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big mistake I made was in the third round I wasted an opportunity to improve my presence on the eastern side of the map (in fact I shrunk it) where most of my remaining objective tokens were. Instead I focused too much on trying to protect other players' objectives and hoping that would give me an opportunity to retrieve my tokens via the northern part of the map where there was a ton of resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dusty27 wrote:
Forbidden Stars can be a great 2 player game but for me and the guys I play with it; really starts to get interesting 3-5 players.

I love this game and eagerly await Gen Con in hopes of an expansion.

5-players is kinky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

My group loves this game, but we don't do two player any more. Now, we wait for three or (preferably) four. We think it shines with the full compliment.

Here's hoping for an expansion to round it out...pleeeeze, FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin ettle
United Kingdom
bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
we had a 3 player game it was our first ever game i reckon it took in total 11 hours but what we did was took photos of the map and where are units were on the board and put our cards in seperate bags etc and we came back to it a couple of weeks later in total 3 times.great tactical game superb with 3 or 4 players bit of downtime in combat but you are willing players on to batter the other person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Forbidden Star is really a 2 players game.

It plays very well (and fastest) with 2 players. The only downside is that there can be a runaway leader once one person gets the edge, which can happen remarkably fast with a boneheaded (or brilliant) round by one of the players.

Because of this, I do think it plays better with 3, since the trailing two players can bring a runaway back in check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we only have 2 players, we play a variant with 2 x 2 armies. Once player has the two "good" factions, the other "evil".

Each friendly faction may conquer the other's empty structures without a fight, but otherwise may not interact with each other, share areas, or pass through each other's territory. First player to get 8 objectives (any combination) wins. First player moves between the factions as normal, but the same sequence is followed.

These are more satisfying than 1 v 1 because we find you do get room to build cities and develop your armies. 1 v 1 tend to be zero sum games where you relentlessly batter the other side at the choke point on the map.

That said, 2 v 2 is more taxing on the brain, as you have to remember 2 sequences of orders during the planning phase. They usually go the full 8 rounds, as getting 8 tokens is very hard even with 2 armies doing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.