Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juha Loukaja
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when you're battling Children of Abhoth, are you considered getting cursed mid turn? That makes them more of a pain in the butt, but otherwise it's not a big deal if you get curse AFTER you complete the adventure, when you resolve the rewards/penalties.

I'm playing against him right now, and am going to play with my first thought - you get cursed mid turn and have to add the black die to your pool for the next roll, this is just for future clarification.

Thanks again!

Edit: I see I have played both ways already during my game. If you get cursed mid turn, and complete the adventure, you rid the curse, right? Otherwise, you would complete the adventure and THEN get cursed, which is a bit take-that from Abhoth, I think. The former sounds more right, since it's part of the task on the monster marker, and you do move the clock also mid turn on monsters with such tasks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I read it as you must do that right then and there to complete that task, even a monster task. So, you would get cursed immediately to be able to complete the monster or advance the clock to complete a task. If the clock strikes midnight, you wait until the normal advance the clock stage of the turn and then resolve the midnight effects (if any) and draw a new mythos card as normal. In the unlikely chance that it strikes midnight twice in a turn, you add a doom token instead of resolving midnight twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
To pass any task, you must fulfill all of its requirements. This means you have to place the dice, take the San or Sta loss, gain the Curse. Otherwise the task is not passed.

Thus, yes, in order to defeat Abhoth's offspring, you gain the Curse as soon as you defeat the monster.

Clearly, no one forces you to defeat the monster as first task: you could save the monster task for last, and pass the other ones first (unless clearly there's an arrow and the monster task is among the topmost positions)

Please remember that items allowing you to discard a monster (or the whole adventure) don't trigger the curse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it as described above: Trigger the curse while defeating the monster, but remove the curse for succeeding at the adventure. But I seem to recall a discussion in which it was determined that there is an exception for this specific circumstance that prevents success at the adventure where you defeat a Child of Abhoth from removing the consequent curse. Did I just make this up? I don't like it, and I'd be happy if it weren't the official rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I have played it as described above: Trigger the curse while defeating the monster, but remove the curse for succeeding at the adventure. But I seem to recall a discussion in which it was determined that there is an exception for this specific circumstance that prevents success at the adventure where you defeat a Child of Abhoth from removing the consequent curse. Did I just make this up? I don't like it, and I'd be happy if it weren't the official rule.

Passing the adventure at which you gained the Curse doesn't count for the purpose of getting rid of said curse. It's in the rules for UF, 3rd panel, "Cursed and Blessed Mid-Turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Passing the adventure at which you gained the Curse doesn't count for the purpose of getting rid of said curse. It's in the rules for UF, 3rd panel, "Cursed and Blessed Mid-Turn"

That clause was in there because while you could TECHNICALLY play that passing removes the curse, you would always break even except in the case where you had either a Blessing or a Curse coming in to the battle. That wouldn't be interesting.

It was easier and better on gameplay to clarify that you can't insta-rectify the fresh Curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Loukaja
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. So I played it right the first time, after all, and then played it wrong later. Well, it kind of makes sense.

By the way, you wouldn't break even in a situation where you're not blessed or cursed, but go to an adventure with a Child, kick its ass, but fail the adventure - you would get cursed but the adventure would still be there. I realize this doesn't really matter since you'd be cursed anyway if you played by the right rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.