Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I played a game at a local game night which I thought they said was called Masquerade... but when I look up that game I don't see anything that matches what I played.

The game was a hidden role game where you were trying to get 13 gold. You were randomly dealt a card which you didn't look at. The cards had roles that gave you a special ability, mostly involving getting money or switching cards.

On your turn you could look at your role, switch cards with other players (where you put them under the table to create doubt if you did in fact switch them) or claim to be a role and perform the action. If you were challenged, you and any challengers revealed your cards. Anybody who was wrong paid a buck to the courthouse. Anybody who was the actual role did their action (I actually wanted to check the rulebook on this point).

The roles we had in play (there were more in the box) were
King = +3 money
Queen = +2 money
Judge = Take all money on courthouse
Thief = Steal a buck from your neighbors
Witch = Switch money with another player
Bishop = Steal 2 money from the richest player
Fool = Take a buck and switch (or possibly not) two other player's role cards

What's the name of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What game did I play?
Definitely sounds like the Masquerade I played at Essen a few years back. Maybe it's spelled differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade (with a C, not a QU). When I got it, it took several minutes of confusion being unable to find it on BGG to add to my collection-- even with the box sitting in front of me! Brains are funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hendrickson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mascarade

Edit: super-mega-ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't see the box, nor note the spelling on the back of the cards. And I didn't anticipate that they'd misspell masquerade. But yes, that's clearly the game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Mascarade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they spelled it correctly in French, rather than misspelled it in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game felt oddly incomplete. Like it started as a good idea but wasn't fully fleshed out. That's the main reason I was trying to look it up and check the rules.

Turns out the guy who taught it got a rule wrong, as I suspected. You're not supposed to be able to choose to do your role if it was revealed in the previous turn and must swap cards (or pretend to) with another player. We didn't do that, so there were many turns where someone was able to play their role knowing that that's what they were and that no one could contest them. It was very lacking in tension due to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the night
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb

Uh, isn't it "Masquerade"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
Yeah, it seems a bit of an odd choice to release it in an English speaking market with a French spelling. That seems guaranteed to cause confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.