United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was played by email from 3/2/07 - 3/30/07. The Living Session Report (LSR) began on March 6th. Both Marshall and I would LOVE any comments from those of you that have followed the game at

http://boardgamechronicle.blogspot.com/index.html

If you have not been there, the game is laid out turn by turn including 2-3 photos for every move. The session report is pages and pages long so I will not crowd BGG with it. Below is a summary.

Our game played out as the traditional France-Russia Axis strategy. France and Poland fell quickly but the Axis were held up in Greece just long enough to burn a precious SA for positioning during Barbarossa.

Though the initial German advance was slow, the Russians lost Baku early and never fully recovered. This allowed the Germans to create a land supply route to Africa so that too held to the end and Italy maintained morale the entire game.

Overlord came a year early and though it established a beachhead, the Germans pushed them back into the sea the next turn.

With the West secure, the East a stalemate and Africa secure, the WAllies sued for peace, granting the Axis an operational victory in March/April of 1944.

The question remains, should the WAliies have fought on? Experts please go look at the photos and give your opinions. As the Axis player I felt like I would have held for the operational victory. The Axis had just about every block on the map, subs in the mid 50's and time on their side. That said, we could have been missing something. We have never played through 1944 and 1945 so my assessment is based on the pace of previous turns.

Key points - this session...

The Russians consolidated force in the North leaving the South to fall.

The Russians built armor early and used it to go on small offensives in 1941 and 1942. None proved successful.

In Africa, the British tried a build and wait strategy in Alexandria. In 41 and 42 they had 3 amphibious invasions, Corsica, Sicily and Thessalonika. Only Corsica was a success (uncontested). The other 2 cost the Brits 4 lost blocks. It seemed that loss was hard to make up.

The Germans stayed in the top column for U-boat warfare most of the game. The ASW rolls were never spectacular. The U-boat rolls were average as well. The UK averaged about 8-10 WERPs.

The Germans pushed the Russians in to Moscow which had a Heavy Fortress. The Russians kept themselves in supply using the elite infantry in the swamps. Tula held the bulk of the German army most of the game which took unlimited replacements there multiple times. In the end, it was a giant stalemate. No one would blink.

In the end, France was heavily guarded. Africa was falling and time was running out. Ultimately, the Allied sued for peace because he thought it would take too long to build an army strong enough to push out of Russia. Why play 8 more hours when the end seems obvious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"We will fight in the air and on the beaches. We will fight in the hills and in the streets. We will nver surrender!"
Winston churchill.

Things look indeed very grim for the allies. However, if Russia is not completely pacified, and if there is a possibilitay for an Amreican build up, you might put pressure on North Africa - Italy, disprese as many units as possible whil try for another overlord.

Again, I have not investigated the whole situation but if you surrender, all is lost anyhow. The questuion, is it worth playing on to find out. I think it is :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go look at the blog for photos of the game during each turn. You should be able to make good judgment from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting!!
I do not think it is worth continuing the game as starting a new game would be a better investment in time. However, I am a person who will never give up if still fighting and with Russia having 2 special actions I wonder if a well prepared would still be possible and if Russia can hold out. If Russia is not defeated, the game should still be on.
This game must have been a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see the nature of the forces penning up the Russians in the north. Since supply is such an important thing, I might have tried to cut off supply to the mass of troops in africa. Let them starve, and you might have a shot.

If the allied player felt as if this wasn't possible, then concession and starting a new game is just as good.

Personally, I've never played anything other than the tourney scenario, don't have the guts to play the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From 1939 is the only way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.